Writing is my Passion discussion

Writing Tips > A Way To Challenge Yourself As A Writer.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) If you have facebook, add this application: "Creative Inspiration for Writers". It gives different scenarios to write about. Basically they are writing exercises. It's really fun. If you don't have a facebook account, I can post the different scenarios the application has on here.

message 2: by ♠Miriam♠ (new)

♠Miriam♠ (mirizzle) | 24 comments ok

message 3: by Maryam. (new)

Maryam. | 153 comments Mod
Thanks Ashley!I was wondering if you COULD post some of them here??

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) - Go to an antique store and write about an usual item you see there.

-Your an addict- What are you addicted to? Why? How do you hide it? etc (I'm currently working on a scene for this one)

-Write a letter to someone you haven't seen in a long time.

-Write a scene, using all the senses(sight, sound, touch, smell, taste)

-"We need to talk"- Write the scene

There's some for now. Enjoy challenging yourself.

message 5: by Maryam. (new)

Nice!Thanks!

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Sep 04, 2009 12:44PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) No problem. I'll post some different ones later.

message 7: by Maryam. (new)

Thank you!!!

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 193 comments Cool. I have one that I did a long time ago. Just write about a real-life experience, with different names and places, if you want.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

dreams are good inspiration too--i heard thats how stephenie meyer came up with twilight

message 10: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 24 comments I joined this application, but I don't know how to use it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

what do u mean?

message 12: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 24 comments I don't know if I'm supposed to write something. And if I am, how and where???

message 13: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 193 comments Catherine wrote: "dreams are good inspiration too--i heard thats how stephenie meyer came up with twilight"

Really?

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Dr. Leena, you don't write anything on the application. The scenarios are just there to spark something in your mind. You open up more scenarios by sending one of those scenarios to a friend and they accept it. Does that make sense ?

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 193 comments Or you could just choose one scenarios yourself!

message 16: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 24 comments And write it? Where shall I write it? Or is it just for myself?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

:D~Tiffany who finally changed her name!~:D wrote: "Catherine wrote: "dreams are good inspiration too--i heard thats how stephenie meyer came up with twilight"

Really?"

ya it was in the newspaper she had a dream about a vampire falling in love with a mortal or something like that

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 193 comments Oh. That's cool. Leena, yeah. Just write it either on Goodreads, or on paper. preferbably on Goodreads.... :D

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

ya--on goodreads so we can all read it!!

message 20: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 24 comments Ah ok =D So, we should make a foulder Called "Creative Inspiration for Writers" so that who ever writes, posts the writing there!! good idea ?? =D

message 21: by Maryam. (new)

Yes!It IS a good idea!!
BUT what exactly should the topics names be..??

message 22: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 24 comments depends on what facebook asks

message 23: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 193 comments Facebook?

message 24: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 24 comments yes. i mean the application itself

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 193 comments Oh. Um, ok...

message 26: by Maryam. (new)

Ok...wait...So the folder should be "Creative Inspiration for Writers" I understand that bit..Oh..wait..

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Here is my scene for the writing exercise topic "You're an addict...." Let me know you think. Thanks.

I sit here in my apartment, alone. The only thing on is the TV and that's just a big bright blur to me. If you don't count the constant arguments next door and the occassional gunshot, it's an ok place. Why am I in such a crappy place? Because that is all I can afford at the moment. I would be at home with my wife and kids, sleeping in a comfortable bed, knowing I will have a hot breakfast and a cup of coffee waiting for me at 6:00 a.m. But my friends ruined that paradise for me. I could get a better place but, my friends take a majority of my money all the time. Who are these friends? Please forgive my manners. Let me introduce you to my friends beer, vodka, rum, whiskey, gin, wine, and any other alcohol beverage you can think of.

What started out as a occasional drink, turned into drinking for every social outing. Eventually it turned into me having personal stashes and always having a drink in my hand. This led to trouble, a divorce, losing custody of the kids and me&my friends being kicked out of the house to fend for ourselves.

I sit here in my chair watching the big bright blur. I have a bottle of whiskey in my hand. I raise it to my mouth and take a sip. The liquid burns as it falls down my esophagus. I swallow the liquid then look at the bottle. I laugh to myself. How can I call this stuff my friend when it's ruined my life? When it has helped take all the good things in my life away from me? So this stuff is really my enemy. Yet I can't help but go back to it and give everything I have for it. It is something that gets rid of my pain but also causes pain. How can I love something that makes my life worse everyday? I gues this is my frienemy. I laugh at that term "frienemy" . A combination of friend and enemy.

I tip the bottle again but nothing comes out. It's empty. I throw the bottle to the floor. I look around at for a bottle with some or little alcohol. I spot a bottle with a little bit of liquid left in it. I stand up but fall back down for I am drunk. I try again and I am succesful at staying up. I stumble across the room towards the dresser which is where the bottle is. I bump into a table here, and a wall there. I eventually get to my destination and grab the bottle. But as I go to take a sip, I stop mid-air. I am standing in front of a mirror. I look at myself in the mirror. My hair is a mess, there are dark circle under my eyes, my clothes are wrinkled&dirty. Suddenly, darkness falls upon me and the last thing I see is myself falling back. Whether I hit something soft or hard, I will find out in the morning.

message 28: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 24 comments Really, really good. I enjoyed it. I actually could see the character. But I think there are some mistakes you didn' notice.

In the second paragraph, it's "an" instead of "a".
In the third paragraph, it's "guess" instead of "gues".

Thanks for sharing it. I really enjoyed it. =D

message 29: by Maryam. (new)

Thats really good Ashley!!And like Leena said it felt like I could see the character.

message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 193 comments It's really good. I like how you talk about the achohol being the friends. You leave us thinking they're humans until the end of the first paragraph!