Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe discussion

Maddie Frankina's Topic 1 Review

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Frankina The book I read was Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of The Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz. I wanted to read this book because it’s actually been on my reading list for a long time and a lot of my friends liked it. I sadly didn’t really enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. I’m a very big fan of these kinds of contemporary YA novels usually, but it just felt a bit simplistic and the overall plot didn’t really capture my attention. One thing I did find really interesting was Dante’s struggle with being Mexican or not being Mexican. This was especially cool to me because my boyfriend is Mexican and I’ve often heard him say a lot of the same things that Dante struggles with. Dante often talked about how he wasn’t even really Mexican or having a hard time coming to terms with a lot of the stereotypes come along with being Mexican. Another part of the book that I actually enjoyed was the development of the relationship between Aristotle and his father. The relationship dynamics between all the parents and their kids were actually really interesting to me and probably my favorite part of the book. I think mainly the thing that was hard for me to grasp was the first person narration, especially having it be from Aristotle’s point of view, and I didn’t really like him as a character for the majority of the book. I think it was hard for me to sympathize with him because I have younger teenage siblings and i saw a lot of their immature attitudes reflected in Aristotle, and I really don’t have a tolerance for that. I think maybe if I had read this book a few years ago I would have felt differently about it.

Sten Leinasaar That is an interesting take you have. I found that the main idea of the book is to show the complexities of human relationships and struggles with the identity of oneself through mundane situations quite frankly. Happening in the book was simple, but the words told the story one could not possibly fathom when just focusing on the plot.

Could I ask what did you perceive as immature attitudes reflected in Aristotle? It would be interesting to know.