Big Ass Book Club discussion

Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
This topic is about Mage's Blood
2019 Big Ass Books > Mage's Blood by: David Hair - SPOILERS THREAD | October 2019

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cass (last edited Sep 17, 2019 04:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cass Burton (cassburton) | 49 comments Mod
This is the SPOILERS thread for Mage's Blood, the October 2019 Big Ass Book.

Reading Schedule
Oct. 1 - Oct. 8: Prologue - Chapter 10
Oct. 9 - Oct. 15: Chapter 11 - Chapter 20
Oct. 16 - Oct. 22: Chapter 21 - Chapter 30
Oct. 23 - Oct. 31: Chapter 31 - Epilogue

**Please feel free to read at your own pace. This is just to give a guideline to people who would like to discuss spoilers. If you read ahead of schedule, please be considerate of the reading schedule and do not post spoilers until the dates that people are expected to have finished that section of chapters.

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison Mia (veracava) | 5 comments Hi all! I’m excited to talk about the book so far- are we having discussions at every point in the reading schedule i.e. first one tomorrow?

This prompt is a couple of days late, but what has everyone been thinking of the first 10 chapters?

LeeNichole | 1 comments Cass wrote: "This prompt is a couple of days late, but what has everyone been thinking of the first 10 chapters?"

The scope is impressive right from the outset. It's a big world and a big story, which I quite like in a fantasy novel. I also really liked that it gives you characters and their stories without telling you who the good guys are (if there are any).

I was attached to Alaron and Ramon right from the start. It may be some Harry Potter-born affection for boys in magic school, but I really liked the two of them and their friendship.

Tonya | 3 comments I am enjoying the story and the characters. I did find I had some difficulty keeping track of all the different regions and I had to review the maps a lot. I’m looking forward to where the story takes these characters. I’m really loving Elena. She’s my favorite character thus far.

LadyJBookishNook | 1 comments I’m loving the book so far and I agree it was hard for me to keep the regions straight. I am a map nerd when it comes to books and I hate flipping back and forth to look. I found a pdf file for the maps of Moontide Quartet Series on the author’s website and they print out one map per page so makes it much easier to see.

If interested here’s the link

https://davidhairauthor.com/Portals/0...

Tonya | 3 comments LadyJBookishNook wrote: "I’m loving the book so far and I agree it was hard for me to keep the regions straight. I am a map nerd when it comes to books and I hate flipping back and forth to look. I found a pdf file for the..."

Thanks!!! I think the map printout will be helpful.

Agnes | 20 comments I love the book too! The cast of characters is really interesting and varied.

I really like Cymbelea and Elena. Alaron is nice too, but I hope he grows out of his naivety.

Nichole I love this book! The world, magic, and characters are all so interesting to me. I'm on page 422.

Danielle | 8 comments Finally started this one today and I'm loving it so far. Feels like the politics may play a big part in this series, or it could just be a sneaky way to give us the history and background of the kingdoms.

message 11: by Cass (new) - rated it 4 stars

Does anyone have a favorite character perspective yet?

This is also a lot more desert fantasy than I was expecting! I really like that!

Agnes | 20 comments Cass wrote: "Does anyone have a favorite character perspective yet?

This is also a lot more desert fantasy than I was expecting! I really like that!"

I really like the variety of climates/cultures/religions that are present in this book, and that we get perspectives from quite a few of them.

As to favourites, I like Alaron's and Elena's perspectives best (which is why they are my favourites characters too). Ramita's perspective is also interesting, but I'm either still sorry for her, or starting to get a bit mad at her. She's so indecisive...
I absolutely hate the Emperor and his oh-so saintly mother! And both the Kore and Ahm religions grate on my nerves. :D

I've reached chapter 34, so I'm close to the end. And I like the story so much, I feel like I'll have to continue reading it, so I'm considering not participating in either the November or the December read and tackling volume 2 instead... I'm pretty sure the end of this volume is going to be a massive cliffhanger :D

Terri | 1 comments I feel the same, I definitely want to continue on reading next month. I agree about Ramita. I also love Alaron and Elena.

message 14: by Agnes (last edited Oct 21, 2019 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnes | 20 comments Last page reached... I'm dead!

Volume 2 next month is a must. I cannot wait until sometime next year to know how things continue.

Taking a few days off to recuperate though.. those last few chapters ...
Going to look for something nice and light and relaxing to read for now...

message 15: by Nichole (last edited Oct 21, 2019 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nichole I'm on chapter 31. This book is amazing! I definitely want to read the next one soon, but I am also excited to read Twelve Kings.

MessohReads (messoh) | 1 comments I fell behind on the scheduled reading but I’m so glad I finally had a reason to get around to this book. Just seen this quote and it really hit.

‘Law,’ she sneered derisively, ‘that’s just the current opinion of whoever’s in power–it’s got nothing to do with what’s right.’

Loving Elena and Alaron’s perspectives. I like Cym & Ramon too and would like more from them.

Danielle | 8 comments I’m about 2/3 of the way through this book and every time Huyria does something I hate her even more. Such a lying, uncaring manipulative ‘friend’

Agnes | 20 comments Danielle wrote: "I’m about 2/3 of the way through this book and every time Huyria does something I hate her even more. Such a lying, uncaring manipulative ‘friend’"

Oh yes, she's one of the characters I hate, and I really hope she gets her comeuppance! Though absolut number one on the hate list is the oh so "saintly" mother of the emperor!

Danielle | 8 comments Ok, I finished the beauty now and wow, what an ending. My poor characters, I definitely need to read the second book next month, that ending was dramatic for everyone.

Nichole This was a 5 star read for me. I loved it!

Danielle | 8 comments Nichole wrote: "This was a 5 star read for me. I loved it!"

I 5 starred it to, can't wait to get started on the next one

message 22: by Cass (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished this JUST in the nick of time!!

What did everyone rate this?? This was a 4-star for me!

Shell | 4 comments Four from me as well! I really enjoyed it.

Agnes | 20 comments I rated it 5 stars :D

Larissa | 9 comments I rated it 5 stars. The worldbuilding might not be the most unique. But I loved the characterbuilding and the story kept me interessted and even managed to suprise me, which is a rare enough occurrence. I especially liked that I did not know from the beginning for whom I should root.