Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Tana French fans - Dublin Murders TV series on Starz

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Starz has a November 10 2019 US TV release date set for a new TV series based on two of Tana French's books, In the Woods and The Likeness. I'll be lined up ready to watch!
https://deadline.com/2019/09/starz-se...
I am excited, the trailer looks good! The UK gets it in October on BBC One

message 2: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 408 comments I never know whether to look forward to these adaptations with anticipation or dread. I guess it’s a good sign that the trailer is promising. I really did get attached to my mental images of the characters and location of these first 2 Dublin Murder books.

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments I’m worried. Starz TOTALLY screwed the adaptation of Daniel O’Malley’s The Rook . Also the actor I’m seeing in the trailer looks much older/harder than I had imagined. I bet the ruin the first one by totally changing the ending too.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Maureen - I agree about The Rook; I was not able to continue watching The Rook series.
I had started watching prior to reading the book, picked it up mid-watch (enjoyed the book) and dropped watching after reading it.

Maureen wrote: "I’m worried. Starz TOTALLY screwed the adaptation of Daniel O’Malley’s The Rook . Also the actor I’m seeing in the trailer looks much older/harder than I had imagined. I bet the ruin the first one ..."

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Barbara: I know what you mean, I hope it is good, however the books are so much in Rob and Cassie's heads, who knows. I will watch and see.

Barbara wrote: "I never know whether to look forward to these adaptations with anticipation or dread. I guess it’s a good sign that the trailer is promising. I really did get attached to my mental images of the ch..."

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Ann wrote: "Starz has a November 10 2019 US TV release date set for a new TV series based on two of Tana French's books, In the Woods and The Likeness. I'll be lin..."

me, too. thanks for the heads up!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Ooh, this is great news! The trailer is compelling, and I actually like the two lead actors (or the look of them anyway, I don't know them). I do hear the caution about Starz's track record of successfully adaptations but I will cross my fingers.

I am also reminded that I need to seek out C.B. Strike. Does the guy who plays Rob in the Dublin Murders play Cormoran? He lists C.B. Strike as a credit.

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments I hear that Starz did a good job with The Outlander, the few shows I watched seemed okay.
I think Cormoran was a dark, curly haired, plump actor. Off th check.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Good point Maureen! Outlander on Starz is beautifully done. I am way behind watching it but have enjoyed watching the first two seasons or so and plan to get back to it someday.
Carol: As for CB Strike, the Strike character is played by Tom Burke. I’ll have to see which actor also from that series is now going to be on the Dublin Murder Show. Isn’t it funny how we see some of the same actors pop up on multiple projects.
And in related news they are filming a new episode set based on Robert Gailbraith’s Lethal White now. More good tv someday soon from the BBC and JK Rowling to look forward to!

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Ann, the actor who plays Rob in the Dublin Murders is Killian Scott. I didn't see Tom Burke listed on the cast list of Dublin Murders, so I must have been mistaken.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Thanks Carol! I'm looking forward to both this Dublin Murder tv show and the new CB Strike next year.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, the actor who plays Rob in the Dublin Murders is Killian Scott. I didn't see Tom Burke listed on the cast list of Dublin Murders..."

message 12: by Karly (new)

Karly | 302 comments Oh! I cannot wait for lethal white! I still have to read the likeness as well.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Karly- The Likeness is a haunting book! So good!!

message 14: by Jezzy (last edited Sep 22, 2019 02:29AM) (new)

Jezzy | 36 comments we don't have cable so, i'll just wait for it to stream online. I own The Likeness but haven't touched it yet coz I have to read In the Woods 1st, someday.

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments I've seen a few ads and The Dublin Murders episode #1 is airing tonight on Starz at 8pm EST. I've got the DVR queued up!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments I recorded it too Carol! (and then watched it shortly afterwards)!

I like it so far! My husband is on the fence, he doesn't like long set-ups and we are left in the dark about Cassie and Rob's background for much of this first episode.
I almost told him what was up but, like you Carol, he doesn't like spoilers. :)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I've seen a few ads and The Dublin Murders episode #1 is airing tonight on Starz at 8pm EST. I've got the DVR queued up!"

message 17: by Maureen (last edited Nov 11, 2019 08:43AM) (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments Stars really truly screwed up The Rook back in the summer.
There was also a scene already in the Dublin Murders that hints at a major screw up.

message 18: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Ann wrote: "I recorded it too Carol! (and then watched it shortly afterwards)!

I like it so far! My husband is on the fence, he doesn't like long set-ups and we are left in the dark about Cassie and Rob's bac..."

Heh-heh. I'd better watch it soon so I can weigh in!

message 19: by Ann (last edited Nov 12, 2019 07:10PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Maureen: Apparently I missed it. Hope it was a false hint. ;)
Tana French deserves a win. It is hard (IMHO) to produce a movie or tv show from a book where so much of the book is " in the characters' heads", and their relationships. The friendships were such a big part of In the Woods.

Maureen wrote: "Stars really truly screwed up The Rook back in the summer.
There was also a scene already in the Dublin Murders that hints at a major screw up."

message 20: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 342 comments Ann wrote: "Starz has a November 10 2019 US TV release date set for a new TV series based on two of Tana French's books, In the Woods and The Likeness. I'll be lin..."

Watched the first one and really enjoyed it.

message 21: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments Ann wrote: "Maureen: Apparently I missed it. Hope it was a false hint. ;)
Tana French deserves a win. It is hard (IMHO) to produce a movie or tv show from a book where so much of the book is " in the characte..."

I can describe the scene. Maybe I misunderstood it. But yes, I really hope it is a false hint.