Play Book Tag discussion

Child of the Morning
This topic is about Child of the Morning
September 2019: Cultural > Child of the Morning - 3 stars, by Pauline Gedge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8183 comments Cross Posted to general feed and horizons.

Horizons and Cultural Tag! Child of the Morning chronicles the life of Hatshepsut, (female) Pharaoh and Queen, as she rises in Egyptian rule to power. There is lots of early Egypt culture and rites, as well as mysticism and folklore, and Hatshepsut is the eventual grandmother to Amunothep. Our heroine was certainly a badass, and a remarkable woman in historical fiction. No doubt ahead of her time!

When I first put Child of the Morning on my TBR, I mistakenly thought it was a novel about Potiphar's wife. I had seen a similar novel on that theme, and was excited about it. So I was surprised to discover this wasn't it - and even weirder, I can't seem to find a historical fiction novel featuring Potiphar's wife! Maybe I am meant to write one - lol!

Did I like it? In places. At points it held my attention. At other points I wavered. I was sort of happy to be done with it, and as I am always saying, I have become more discerning of my TBR, and am trying to read the existing books. So I was happy to finish it in more than one way. I do have two more Egypt books to enjoy this month, that I suspect I might even enjoy a bit more.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Sorry this book wasn't what you thought it was. That has to be disappointing. Seems like an interesting read if nothing else.

LibraryCin | 8032 comments I'm not sure if I gave this 3 stars (ok) or 3.5 (good). Either way, from memory, and like you, I believe it held my attention at times, but not at others, so it was a bit up and down for me.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8183 comments You know, I’m happy to have parted ways with it. I didn’t hate it, but do many books to truly love, await...

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2151 comments Sorry this was only average for you. I read this ages and ages ago and I really liked it. Probably because, at the time, I didn't know there was a female pharaoh! I never go back and re-read and, who knows, I might not like it as much now.