Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Monthly Reading: Nominations > November and ongoing

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 13, 2019 11:56AM) (new)

Kateblue | 3545 comments Mod
I thought we had decided what we subject(s) we were doing for November. It's time to get the nominations going for November (past time, actually) but I can't remember what we said. Or did we say? I know December will be short books, but I cannot remember what we said for November. If anything.

Help! Alzheimers? Or just forgetfulness? You decide.

Also, need a vote upon how many short books would be appropriate for December

Finally, we had said the next Challenge would be Neuromancer and the books that follow it (sorry can't remember name of series--and I am in a hurry to get out of there right now or I would look it up). Allan, a little help, and everybody,.chime in about when to start.

message 2: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 715 comments My opinion is that we should stick with two books even during the "short book month": we can add a Birthday Challenge for people who want to read more.

The series is called "Sprawl" and I think it was meant for Q4, whick means starting in October and finishing by the end of December. Since the series is three books (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive) or four if you include Burning Chrome, three months sounds about right.

I can't remember if the November theme was already decided or not.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Scott, thanks for your nomination, and I accept your nomination of Babel-17 for November.

But the way we usually do it is we look at our bookshelves for a type of book to nominated and then we pick 1 or 2 types, depending upon whether we are reading 1 or 2 books. When nominations open, we go back and nominate books in each type. See our bookshelf link in the upper right hand corner for the bookshelf and types. After the book nominations, we vote.

I'm not really sure why we do it this way. It's the way we have alway done it since before I was a moderator. I think they did it this way prevent having only unappealing books left in a few years. If everybody want to read hard SciFi every month, then soon, hard SciFi lovers will be dissatisfied as the great hard SciFi
books are already read.

And I think sometimes the mods select the subjects, also to try to prevent having only unappealing books left in a few years.

Also, sometimes we will try to have diametrically opposing types. I think the mods decide. Like in June the two groups were Hard SciFi and Fantasy. I think maybe Art decided to do that. And in July, we had Hugo and Nebula nominees, I think? That one, if I recall was by consensus. March was women's month, so we read books written by women. I think that got decided by the mods because there's a National Women's Day or something like that in March. Usually, when the categories are selected, I just go along because I don't really care. The idea is to read all of them eventually.

The reason we are behind right now is that I thought we had already picked the two types for November and now I can't remember what they were, and I can't even find the posts discussing it, either. Bad for a moderator, I know. If we already picked the two types, we would be in the nomination of individual books stage, which is where we should be.

In October, it's scary books or books that scare you. In September, we were a little different and picked books that either nobody voted for in previous months or that barely got edged out in previous months. In the "nobody voted for" category, Synners won, and in the "just edged out" category, American Gods won.

Ordinarily, at this point you would pick that classification that you want and then when actual book nominations came up, you would nominate your book.

Help, please, guys, I need to know what it was we were supposed to be doing in November. If no one says anything by tomorrow this time, we will vote on categories.

Z, Bryan and Art, if I am wrong about any of this, please let me know. I think we should post something at the top of this "Nominations" category to explain how we do this.

I'm not proofreading for content or wording or politeness right now because we have to take my husband's 1971 Volkswagon bus to get the brakes looked at and he wants to leave NOW. So if I got anything wrong, sorry!

message 4: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3337 comments Mod
I checked our group for the word 'November' and it seems that no concrete plans were set. Last year it was horror and firth contact themes. Because we already have one nominee, I guess we can set as one of themes Books from 1960s

The second them I guess can be a space opera or hard SF, both categories have over 40 books. What do you people prefer?

message 5: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 14, 2019 07:50AM) (new)

Good ideas , Z. I prefer Space Opera.

message 6: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

OK, people, say if you want space opera or hard SF by tomorrow, please. Then we will start nominating in two categories, one of the above, plus Books from 1960s

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments Space Opera

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 173 comments I second space opera

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

OK, I'm going with Cynthia, Anthony and me for space opera. So, for nominations, please go here for space opera https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

And go here for 1960s https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Just put your nominations here. We usually only get 6 or 7 at most. If we get, like, 15, I will yell "Stop."

It's the 15th. I will leave nominations open for one week (it's usually 10 days, but we are behind this month,) So next Sunday midnight for me (I think I am Greenwich +5?) EDT US, I will put up the polls of the nominees.

Have fun!

message 10: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Scott, you have already nominated Babel-17 in the 1960's category. Please go and nominate in space opera now, if you like :-)

message 11: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 715 comments For the 1960's one, I nominate A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's a classic that's been sitting on my shelf for over a year now, and it's high time I read it.

message 12: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin O'Neill (ktdid42) | 101 comments my vote for the 1960s would be Glory Road by Heinlein but only because i already own it lol

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex (kyptan) | 4 comments For space opera, I recommend The Uplift War. David Brin is an underrated treasure.

For 1960s, A Fall of Moondust, or Lord of Light.

message 14: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I own Glory Road, also.

message 15: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 1794 comments Mod
As Antti said, Sprawl consists of Neuromancer, Count Zero & Mona Lisa Overdrive. Burning Chrome is a collection of short stories, only a couple of which are related to Sprawl, so I'd exclude that book.

I like the choice of categories, though I don't necessarily agree with all the book categorizations. But I'll second The Uplift War for Space Opera. I've been thinking about reading it anyway. For the 60's I'll nominate Lord of Light, which I think got cut off in one of the earlier posts. It is the highest ranking book I haven't read on my master composite top 100 list, so it's already in my Q4 reading plan.

message 16: by Jemppu (new)

Jemppu | 55 comments Ooh, just yesterday got myself The Weapon Makers... still, I think I must vote Cyteen for space opera. It's waited longer for me to get to it.

For 1960's I vote A Fall of Moondust.

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 122 comments I second the Uplift War nomination. I anti-nominate Canticle. I nominate Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep for 1960's.

message 18: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 715 comments Isn't Uplift War a sequel to Startide Rising? Can it be read as a stand-alone?

message 19: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Jemppu wrote: " Cyteen."

Cyteen was read by the group earlier this year

message 20: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 173 comments For Space Opera I nominate The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh. I recently read and loved Downbelow Station or I would nominate it, but either way I’d love to read more of her work.

message 21: by Jemppu (new)

Jemppu | 55 comments Oleksandr wrote: "...Cyteen was read by the group earlier this year"

Well, The Weapon Makers it is, then.

message 22: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

message 23: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Antti wrote: "Isn't Uplift War a sequel to Startide Rising? Can it be read as a stand-alone?"

Yes, it is a sequel and yes it can be read as a stand-alone according to comments I've read. Maybe it is better to leave Brin's books for a challenge (at least I planned to read the whole series)

Now my nominees:
60s: All Flesh is Grass by Clifford D. Simak
Space opera: Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt

message 24: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 1794 comments Mod
You missed Lord of Light and The Uplift War

message 25: by Stephen (last edited Sep 16, 2019 04:58PM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 25 comments In my humble opinion my best 1960s Space Opera book is Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper

message 26: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 173 comments Is that a nomination, Stephen?

message 27: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 173 comments For my 1960’s nomination I name The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber.

message 28: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 565 comments Question:

Why are Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet not listed in the space opera section, but both their sequels are? I'd like to nominate either of these titles rather than their respective book 2.

In 1960s, I nominate Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein.

message 29: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 25 comments Yes it is a nomination. Also John Scalzi did a re-do of the book called Fuzzy Nation. That is how I found out about the book. It surprised me by the positive images of the women characters.

message 30: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 16, 2019 09:54PM) (new)

Kalin--The reason that things may not seem to be in the right category, or categorys, is that two of the admins made the shelves but they hadn't read the books. So they can be in the wrong category. We are always happy to have people suggest what category something should be put in. I just recently got The Witches of Karres added to the fantasy shelf, but it should probably also be on the humorous shelf.

If you would want to nominate one of these as space opera, go ahead, and I will make a note about getting them changed/added.

I have read nothing by Vernor Vinge, but I would agree with you that The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet seems like space opera to me.

message 31: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Kalin wrote: "Question:

Why are Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet not listed in the space opera section, but both their sequels are?"

The addition was made by hand, so it is an error. Assume them eligible

message 32: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 16, 2019 09:54PM) (new)

OK, let me try this again . . .

1960's category
Babel-17
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Glory Road
A Fall of Moondust
A Canticle for Leibowitz
All Flesh is Grass
Little Fuzzy
Stranger in a Strange Land
Lord of Light
The Wanderer

Space Opera
The Weapon Makers
The Pride of Chanur
Saturn's Children
Infinity Beach
The Uplift War
And at Kalin's choice, either A Fire Upon the Deep or Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet

Sorry about the lack of links. Let me know if you need any that aren't somewhere in this thread.

Now, did I get them all? It's really hard to tell, scrolling up and down and typing in this little box!

And are they in the right category? I feel as if we need more space opera!

message 33: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Hey, Z! Our posting crossed in the ether(net)!

message 34: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet was not nominated for either Hugo or Nebula, so not eligible. the second book, A Closed and Common Orbit was nominated for Hugo and the third, Record of a Spaceborn Few as well.

message 35: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 565 comments Right, I just assumed all three of the trilogy had been nominated without checking.

I'd like to nominate A Fire Upon the Deep.

message 36: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 17, 2019 08:54AM) (new)

Kalin, what we usually do if we have multiples or a series where you can't just read the one in the middle is we set up a challenge. I've read all of Becky Chambers, though, so I'm not really interested.

Also, you could get a subgroup together and read them as Buddy Reads. If you collect a group and are going to do the Buddy Read thing, we can set up a thread for your discussion.

I really liked all of these books, but the first one, the unominated one, is my favorite. Also, although the books are in a single universe, they are pretty much standalone.

message 37: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 173 comments When will these polls be posted?

message 38: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Hi, Anthony. I said somewhere above that I'd do it about midnight tonight in my timezone, so I am a little late. You'll get an email in a bit.

message 39: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 173 comments Oh cool, no rush, sorry I hadn’t remembered that. I was just curious. Thanks for responding!

message 40: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

They are up! Sorry we are late this month, we like to be earlier in the month to allow people to get their books from the library or the bookstores.

Later!

message 41: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin O'Neill (ktdid42) | 101 comments what wound up being the winners? I'm spacy today and cant remember where to find it.

message 42: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Caitlin, If you just go to the front page for the group, https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/..., Upcoming reads are right there sort of at the top in the middle, horizontally, next to this month's reads.

If you want to see the polls they are here https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/4..., listed as Polls 3 and 4 now. (The numbers change as new polls are placed on top)

message 43: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin O'Neill (ktdid42) | 101 comments great thanks Kate!