Reading 1001 discussion

Love in a Cold Climate (Radlett & Montdore, #2)
This topic is about Love in a Cold Climate
1001 book reviews > Love in a cold climate

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristel (kristelh) | 3827 comments Mod
read 2016:
An amusing story written in 1949, featuring life of the British aristocrats in the thirties. The characters are all grossly exaggerated but make for a lot of fun. The novel is described as subversive, funny, and comforting. The most exaggerated character, plainly gay, is introduced, has a life of total pleasure and makes those around him have fun too. He even is allowed his own lover in the end. Lady Montdore is called Mitford's finest creation, a person who is greedy, self centered and rude. This book is about love, marriage, aging and snobbery. The author tells the story of Polly through Polly's distant relative and friend, Fanny. Fanny is the daughter of parents who abandoned her, she is raised by relatives. She lives an ordinary life as she tells the story of Polly, the only child and daughter of Lady and Lord Montdore.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Sep 13, 2019 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
3 stars. Read in 2016

I voted for this book because it was described as a romantic comedy. I had just finished 2 books on slavery and thought it would be a nice change. Unfortunately the book did not live up to my expectations. I had just read 3 thought provoking books and when I started reading this one I just had trouble getting into it. I actually started liking the book a bit more after I watched the movie. I did enjoy the book but I don't think it belongs on the list.

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 424 comments I enjoyed this book. It reminded me a lot of PG Wodehouse stories, with similar characters and settings, but with a different style. It pokes at class and economic distinctions within society, as well as gender norms. Still, I am not sure I'd have included this book on a 1001 books you must read before you die list. But, if Wodehouse is on the list, Mitford should get some space on the list too, I suppose.
I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.