Reading 1001 discussion

Living
This topic is about Living
1001 book reviews > Living - Henry Green

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristel (kristelh) | 3895 comments Mod
REVIEW: At first it is hard to settle into this book which is unique for its structure (lack of conjunctives and articles). I thought, oh no, this is going to take forever to read but after a bit I was used to the rhythm and the story began to take shape. It is a story set in the between war years in Birmingham industrial area of England and features the social structure of labor, middle management and owners of the steel factories. There is also the two characters; Lily and Mr Dupret both unsuccessful in their search for marriage. In addition there is the struggle of the old and young in the factories and a third theme of women's emancipation. This is the second of Green's novels that I read for the buddy read and while both books were very good they were also very different from each other.

Diane | 1997 comments Rating: 3 stars

A portrayal of British domestic life in terms of class struggle. In this case, a conflict between the working class employees of an iron foundry and it's wealthy owners. The book presents several polar opporites and their parallel lives - young vs. old, rich vs. poor, those in power vs. those who seek power, etc.

Overall, not my favorite of Green's, partly due to the writing style.