The Official Amanda Hocking Goodreads Group discussion

Torn (Trylle, #2)
This topic is about Torn
Torn (11/3-11/13) > Amanda Hocking Q&A: 11/14

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

St. Martin's Press (stmartinspress) | 59 comments Mod
Post your questions here for Amanda about TORN! She'll be answering them on 11/14 :)

Elaine | 19 comments Hi Amanda

Just curious why did you decide to bring Matt back into Wendy's life in book two but not Maggie?

message 3: by Johnzel (new) - added it

Johnzel Babijes Hi Amanda,
Do you ever change the plot/happenings of a story when you think it is not gonna work out? What do you do when you have writer's block?

St. Martin's Press (stmartinspress) | 59 comments Mod
Hi all: just a reminder that Amanda will be answering your questions tomorrow!! Post your questions here :)

message 5: by Zelda (new)

Zelda (Zelda36) | 2 comments Do you ever get tired of the story you start to write? I've tried writing a few stories but I always get sick of them. If so, how do you get past that?

message 6: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Hocking (amanda_hocking) | 61 comments Elaine wrote: "Hi Amanda

Just curious why did you decide to bring Matt back into Wendy's life in book two but not Maggie?"

Matt and Wendy were closer in age and a had a closer bond, so I thought it made more sense to bring him back. I also thought that Wendy and Matt would be sadder without each other.

Maggie cares about both of them, but she's also an adult, and I felt like she should have a life separate from the Trylle. I didn't really want to her get sucked into the royal drama of the Markis and Marksinna.

I just think of Maggie as more of a visitor to the Trylle world, where as Matt more makes it his home.

message 7: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Hocking (amanda_hocking) | 61 comments Johnzel wrote: "Hi Amanda,
Do you ever change the plot/happenings of a story when you think it is not gonna work out? What do you do when you have writer's block?"

I find that outlining and making notes about the story helps me avoid writer's block. It also usually helps me see areas of the plot that aren't working.

But not always. I do rework outlines, both before I've started writing and during. I've rearranged whole first drafts and cut out big chunks of story that don't I think are working.

So yes, while I do outline extensively, writing is still a fluid process and anything can change at any time.

message 8: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Hocking (amanda_hocking) | 61 comments Zelda wrote: "Do you ever get tired of the story you start to write? I've tried writing a few stories but I always get sick of them. If so, how do you get past that?"

Sometimes, yes, I do. Outlining helps me stay engaged with a story because I know what's going to happen next. Most of the time, simply removing distractions helps me stay engaged with a story - turning off the internet and shutting myself in my office until I get some words on paper usually gets things going.

Other times, I rework the idea. I try to figure what about it isn't holding my interest or isn't working for me, and I change things.

But some stories just don't work. I've started plenty of things I haven't finished, and I've written outlines that I haven't worked on. There's no harm in setting things aside that aren't working.

Elaine | 19 comments thanks Amanda

message 10: by Bree (new)

Bree Yerbury | 3 comments Hey Amanda,

First of all want to say you are an awesome author

message 11: by Bree (new)

Bree Yerbury | 3 comments Not sure if that question went through, awkward.