You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > October 2019 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Sep 19, 2019 11:10PM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments The theme for October is books with the name of a city in their title.

Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

We've decided to trial a relaxation on the rules for book nominations to see whether it opens us up to more interesting books and greater participation. We will trial this for the next 4 months and reassess. We now have no page or price limit for nominations, nor do we have any availability restrictions.

Not all the rules have gone out the window though. A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alone

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close September 17.

Nominations
The Cellist of Sarajevo (Peggy - Jenn)
A Study in Charlotte (Janice - Cherie)
The Madonnas of Leningrad (Renee)
'Salem's Lot (Sarah - Ashley, Samantha)
A Gentleman in Moscow (Kristie - Katrisa)

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I'd like to nominate The Cellist of Sarajevo

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47219 comments I'll nominate A Study in Charlotte. Charlotte is a city in North Carolina, USA.

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18118 comments Peggy wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Cellist of Sarajevo"

I really liked that book! It would be a good one to discuss I reckon.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments I would like to nominate The Madonnas of Leningrad

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18118 comments I have three books that would count. One is really short, one is really long and the other is a bit more manageable. The manageable one I'd like to query. It's 'Salem's Lot. 'Salem is short for Jerusalem. I know Jerusalem is a city but it's not in the title. However, Salem is also a city. Will that count even though it has an apostrophe at the beginning signifying it's a shortened word?!?!?

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I think that's fine, Sarah.

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18118 comments Peggy wrote: "I think that's fine, Sarah."

Yay, thanks Peggy!

message 9: by Cherie (last edited Sep 13, 2019 11:37AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19593 comments So far, I have the first three books suggested in my TBR list. I am checking to see if I have a title that I can suggest.

Salem is the capital city of Oregon, Sarah. I did not know it was "short" for Jerusalem. In July, I read O Jerusalem. It was a great story, but it is in a series, and not the first. I am not proposing it, just stating it. :o)

message 10: by Cherie (last edited Sep 13, 2019 12:15PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19593 comments I found 6 books that I own, that have city names in the title.
A Thousand Days in Venice
Nights in Rodanthe
The Man from Beijing
The Prague Cemetery
Seattle Cinderella.
I also found two titles that have the name of a city in the title that are 2nd books in two series that I stated this year. The Alexandria Link and Ragtime in Simla.
Simla is a city in India and in Colorado.
Rodanthe is in North Carolina.
Alexandria is in Lousiana.

I am not going to nominate any of them.

I think I will second Janice's title, A Study in Charlotte.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 315 comments I’ve been wanting to read 'Salem's Lot! I will second that book.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12958 comments I have a few books I'd like to nominate, but there are also a couple I'd be interested in that have already been nominated. I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether to nominate or second and, if I nominate, which book to go with.

I think I'll nominate A Gentleman in Moscow.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments I read Salem's Lot when it first came out. It was one of the most terrifying things I have ever read. That may be because I read it while tent camping. It is not a book to read if you need to walk up a dark road to go to the bathroom. LOL

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19593 comments Your book is on my TBR list too, Kristie.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12958 comments I had a really tough time choosing for this one, Cherie.

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9412 comments I would love to reread 'Salem's Lot but I doubt if i will have time next month.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Gutt | 1 comments I second Salem’s Lot
(Added bonus: perfect read for the month of Halloween!)

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18118 comments Samantha wrote: "I second Salem’s Lot
(Added bonus: perfect read for the month of Halloween!)"

That's what I thought!

message 19: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2230 comments I second A Gentleman in Moscow

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2071 comments I would like to second The Cellist of Sarajevo

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12958 comments I can't wait to see which books win for October. There are a couple I really want to read.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.