What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Street Rod
This topic is about Street Rod
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. book, probably from the 50's-60's about boys building hot rods. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 22 comments I read this probably in the late 70's or so, but they were written in the 50's or 60's I'm sure.

A group of boys were building custom cars for a show. At the end, the protagonist and his girlfriend were driving back home and something in the steering broke, the car drifted off the road and into a pond, knocking both of them out. The antagonist was a ways behind them, and when he came up over a hill and didn't see the tail lights of the other car, he thought the car must have had a much bigger engine than he'd expected.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Bruce, please add some of those plot details to your topic header. This could help your query get solved faster.

message 3: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4121 comments Street Rod maybe?

message 4: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1221 comments Ayshe wrote: "Street Rod maybe?"

Seconded.

message 5: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 175 comments Thirded. Although in Street Rod, the accident happened because the driver fell asleep, not because the steering malfunctioned.

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4121 comments I haven't read it, so I don't know, but previous searcher remembered it as pin falling out of the steering: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1221 comments I reread it a few years back and I don't think it says exactly why the car didn't make the curve. IIRC, the boy turns the wheel and the car doesn't respond. He was awake, but his girlfriend was asleep.

message 8: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Roepke | 22 comments Bargle wrote: "I reread it a few years back and I don't think it says exactly why the car didn't make the curve. IIRC, the boy turns the wheel and the car doesn't respond. He was awake, but his girlfriend was asl..." That's definitely it then. Weird how I can remember some tiny detail like that after all this time.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Great. Moving to Solved.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Street Rod (other topics)