EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
[ARCHIVES] CHALLENGE CORNER > 2019 - Hogwarts House Cup Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 293 (293 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Oct 09, 2019 08:47PM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments WELCOME TO THE THIRD ANNUAL HOGWARTS HOUSE CUP CHALLENGE!

description

HOW IT WORKS

1. JOIN A HOUSE! If you don’t know which, go to Pottermore, and you can get SORTED into your Hogwarts house.

2. The Challenge will run from October 1 through December 31. All books finished (they can be started beforehand) during this time will count to the challenge.

3. Post in YOUR HOUSE’S THREAD ran by your house’s Prefect to contribute with the BOOK TITLE and DATE READ. and NUMBER OF PAGES.

4. Each house has its own thread. You can find them here or in the challenge corner:

Gryffindor
Prefect: Sonsoles
Mod: Catherine

Hufflepuff
Prefect: Bryce
Mod: Tori

Ravenclaw
Prefect: Lina
Mod: Betsy

Slytherin
Prefect: Anett
Mod: Joanna Loves Reading

RULES & SCORING
-- this will be updated as we go.

1. Similar to last year, we will use an average score to balance the different house sizes. However, this year we will use a tiered scoring system based on the number of pages in a book. Essentially, it's 1 point for every 250 pages read within a book, as it used in the Genre Games this summer. Here's the breakdown:
1-249 pages = 1 point
250-499 pages = 2 points
500-749 = 3 points
and so on...

NOTE: If its a graphic novel, heavily pictured book or sparsely worded (i.e. poetry), half points will be awarded, so it will be 0.5 points for every 250 pages. The points will be awarded per book and not per cumulative pages read.

2. Number of participants per house will be counted based on contributions, so if a member signs up and does not contribute, they are not used in average calculations.

3. This challenge will feature a ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT with each month featuring a matchup with a different house. To count for a matchup, the book must be read within that month and posted no later than one day after the end of the month. We will not do late term adjustments, but books read in an earlier month (no earlier than October) can still count toward your house’s overall total. The winner of the tournament will be featured in EHRTBM Hall of Fame.

4. There will also be an Overall winner featured in the EHRTBM Hall of Fame.

5. Participants must log their book in Goodreads as read to count them in the challenge.

6. Since this competition can get intense, please note that there we do expect good sportsmanship from participants and failure to demonstrate good sportsmanship will result in warnings. Multiple warnings or extremely offensive remarks may result in a participants removal from the challenge.

...stay tuned as this section is added to.

Happy Reading All!

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Jan 07, 2020 12:29PM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments ROUND ROBIN SCHEDULE

OCTOBER: FINAL
Gryffindor 20.58 average points v Slytherin 17.86 average points
Ravenclaw 18.18 average points v Hufflepuff 19.09 average points

NOVEMBER: Unofficial results
Ravenclaw 21.32 average points v Gryffindor 23.63 average points
Hufflepuff 21.39 average points v Slytherin 17.2 average points

DECEMBER:
Slytherin 17.5 average points v Ravenclaw 18.7 average points
Hufflepuff 28.8 average points v Gryffindor 31.8 average points

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Jan 07, 2020 12:27PM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments ROUND ROBIN STANDINGS

GRYFFINDOR 3-0
HUFFLEPUFF 2-1
RAVENCLAW 1-2
SLYTHERIN 0-3

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Jan 07, 2020 12:34PM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments OVERALL STANDINGS

1. GRYFFINDOR: 64.3 ppp
2. HUFFLEPUFF: 50.3 ppp
3. RAVENCLAW: 48.2 ppp
4. SLYTHERIN: 43.7 ppp

message 5: by Anett (new)

Anett Kovacs | 47 comments That's such a fun idea! What exactly are the tasks of a Prefect?
(I'm in Slytherin btw, so if you already have a Prefect for the house, it doesn't matter)

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1162 comments Anett wrote: "That's such a fun idea! What exactly are the tasks of a Prefect?
(I'm in Slytherin btw, so if you already have a Prefect for the house, it doesn't matter)"

Prefects need to keep track of their team's participants and team's score throughout the challenge. The previous two years' challenges are archived so you can check them out and see for yourself. We are intending to pair one mod with each house, so you'll also have mod assistance throughout the challenge should anything arise.

Let us know if you have any more questions. :)

message 7: by Lina (new)

Lina | 282 comments Yayyyy! So excited!!!

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane | 10 comments Awesome! How can I sign up? I am a Slytherin :D

Saar The Book owl | 282 comments Can I sign up for Gryffindor, please?

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1162 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Can I sign up for Gryffindor, please?"

Welcome back Saar! You can absolutely come back to Gryffindor! :)

message 11: by Kamatchi (last edited Sep 13, 2019 09:36AM) (new)

Kamatchi Krishnamurthy | 221 comments Yes, This is so exciting :-)

I am a Ravenclaw.

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1162 comments Kamatchi wrote: "Yes, This is so exciting :-)

I am a Ravenclaw and I will reserve this post."

Reserved posts should be in your house thread when those get posted towards the end of the month. This is just the overall thread so that everyone has a central place to discuss what is happening.

message 13: by Satrina (new)

Satrina T | 324 comments Yay!

I'm a Ravenclaw :)

message 14: by Kamatchi (new)

Kamatchi Krishnamurthy | 221 comments Got it. Thank you!

Catherine wrote: "Kamatchi wrote: "Yes, This is so exciting :-)

I am a Ravenclaw and I will reserve this post."

Reserved posts should be in your house thread when those get posted towards the end of the month. Thi..."

message 15: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 35 comments This is so fun! I'd love to sign up as a Ravenclaw :)

message 16: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (abbienormal21) | 272 comments I had so much fun doing this last year! I'm team Ravenclaw again.

Thank you for updating so that people who sign up but don't participate get dropped from the averages--that was the one thing that drove me crazy last year since so many people joined a team and never posted a book. I get it, I'm not the best at social media so life gets crazy and this stuff gets dropped, but it was def. frustrating for everyone that was really involved.

Thanks mods for all the thought you put into these challenges! I love this group, it's been such a fun place to share my reading obsession.

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1162 comments Abbie wrote: "I had so much fun doing this last year! I'm team Ravenclaw again.

Thank you for updating so that people who sign up but don't participate get dropped from the averages--that was the one thing that..."

Welcome back, and thank you for all of your support and enthusiasm! Yeah, that was something that hadn't been anticipated because everything was set up drastically different than the previous year.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin | 94 comments This sounds like so much fun! I was sorted into Gryffindor - sign me up!

message 19: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Geist | 6 comments I am a Hufflepuff! This sounds so fun. Hopefully even with school I can be a valuable contributor.

message 20: by Lina (new)

Lina | 282 comments I’m back for another year with my Ravenclaw pals! 💙💙

message 21: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 150 comments Willing to join in with either hufflepuff or ravenclaw since i fall in both houses. Dont mind being a prefect for either house if you need one

message 22: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 150 comments Also what book formats count? Curious about manga due to volume length and the fact can not really see any mention of it in rukes under what counts/ what doesn't

message 23: by Tori (new)

Tori | 801 comments Mod
Bryce wrote: "Also what book formats count? Curious about manga due to volume length and the fact can not really see any mention of it in rukes under what counts/ what doesn't"

Manga would be be treated as a graphic novel would:
"If it's a graphic novel or a heavily pictured book, half points will be awarded, so it will be 0.5 points for every 250 pages."

message 24: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 150 comments Ah wasn't sure thanks. Mainly asked to clarify.

message 25: by Caramell (new)

Caramell | 45 comments I'm ravenclaw and I'm in :) love this challenge!

message 26: by Sha (new)

Sha | 227 comments In again for Slytherin

message 27: by Lina (new)

Lina | 282 comments Hey there - trying to get my family members to join because this was so much fun last year. Do audiobooks count? This is an ongoing debate between my husband and I. I don’t think it counts as “reading” if you listen, but wanted to ask.

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan | 376 comments Looking forward to another year with Ravenclaw!

And audiobooks are still books. It was my understanding that they counted. If they didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to participate, as that’s my primary reading medium.

message 29: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Larsen | 41 comments Gryffindor over here!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments Welcome all! Yes, audio counts!

message 31: by Lina (new)

Lina | 282 comments Okay thank you! I will let him know. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

message 32: by Britt (new)

Britt (britts_reads) | 350 comments Gryffindor here, first time joining this challenge! Cannot wait! Also, reading HP4 right now... SO. GOOD.

message 33: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 839 comments Mod
I'm so happy to see such enthusiasm for this challenge, and let's do this Ravenclaw!

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen | 125 comments Having a "senior" moment! Pretty sure I was sorted into Hufflepuff last time around, so that is my house of choice. Go Badgers!

message 35: by Anne (new)

Anne Krath (clulle) | 1 comments Hufflepuff 💛🖤

message 36: by Arturo (new)

Arturo Santos | 1 comments Gryffindor

message 37: by Anett (new)

Anett Kovacs | 47 comments Catherine wrote: "Anett wrote: "That's such a fun idea! What exactly are the tasks of a Prefect?
(I'm in Slytherin btw, so if you already have a Prefect for the house, it doesn't matter)"

Prefects need to keep tra..."

Thanks for the info! If you still need someone for Slytherin, I'd do it.

message 38: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1162 comments Please specify which house you'd like to be in. We understand that many of fall into multiple houses, but please be definitive when posting so the Prefects and mods know who is their house and who isn't. Thank you. :)

message 39: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 10 comments This sounds like so much fun. I'm a Gryffindor.

message 40: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 150 comments will go in hufflepuff . dont mind being a prefect for the house if you need one.

message 41: by julia (new)

julia (justreadjulie) | 2 comments Sign me up for Slytherin!

message 42: by Petra (new)

Petra | 5 comments Sorted into Ravenclaw, yay!

message 43: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1162 comments Thanks folks, we really appreciate it!

Also, welcome (back) everyone! We're really excited to be hosting this again!

message 44: by Hali (new)

Hali | 160 comments Ravenclaw!

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma (emma-m) I’d like to be in ravenclaw this year!

message 46: by Lina (new)

Lina | 282 comments Yea! So excited for all these new Ravenclaw members!

message 47: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 31 comments Count me in for Ravenclaw 😁

message 48: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette  Van Graan (antoinettevangraan) | 1 comments Ravenclaw ready to go!

message 49: by Elena (last edited Sep 16, 2019 03:47AM) (new)

Elena Politi (elenapoliti18) | 6 comments I'm in! Hufflepuff

message 50: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 246 comments So excited! I'm in Slytherin.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.