Play Book Tag discussion

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup
This topic is about Bad Blood
Archive: Other Books > Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou: 5 Stars!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments Sometimes I get all-consumed by something- a case, a story, a book. This did it for me. I read the wiki on Theranos a while back, watched the HBO show, and now read the book. I have the podcast on my radar also, but basically the Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos story is absolutely fascinating in any regard- and reading this- from the "breaker" of the news story was absolutely fabulous.

So, if you don't know about Theranos-go do a mini deep dive and learn about it. The story in itself is a page-turner, jaw-dropping, "can't believe it" kind of story in itself. But more than just the story, this book did so many things well- but I think one reason why it just "worked" was because it took both Elizabeth personally and Theranos as a company- and explained everything that was going on from both perspectives. Additionally once there was media coverage, we also see things from the media perspective. Everything is not only EXPLAINED well- but we learned why things were going on, how everything was being hidden, and why this turned out to be such the scandal that it was/is.

I loved hearing about the employees stories- the inner workings of Theranos in the beginning, and specifically how relationships were built from the company. I also appreciated how the book explained Theranos as a Silicon Valley tech company- giving many examples of comparisons of how Facebook started in comparison. We see Theranos as a tech company- and it is being judged on the wrong industry standards ie- not medical standards. The book also brings up a series of moral questions, and touches on how these were ignored/how Theranos responded to these.

Now, off to go watch youtube videos of Elizabeth's creepy man voice to try and see if it's fake.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Yes!!! I was so obsessed with this book when I read it last year. I need to do a news scan for an update.

You watched the HBO movie? How did it compare to the book? I haven’t watched it yet but now I am thinking it maybe great for this weekend!

Meli (melihooker) | 3029 comments I listened to the audio and it was freakin amazing! The narrator sounded just like the narrator from Forensic Files, which I also love.

Such a batshit crazy story.

What pissed me off about it though is she suffered absolutely no consequence from her actions. Spoiled rotten little brat.

message 4: by Joi (last edited Sep 13, 2019 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments The HBO series was great. It interviewed alot of the same people as the book, but you got to put names with faces, and hear tone more. It's only a couple hours, and IMHO worth it.

I totally agree Meli, and she's engaged to a 27 year old hotel heir now?! (she is 35). Guess she realized 20 years older wasn't a good look- so she went younger? She's prancing around California, and even "looking into starting another business". I looked into it, they are supposed to start jury selection for her trial in July 2020- many counts of wire fraud and conspiracy. I think the max time possible is 20 years.

Has anyone listened to the Dropout podcast?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments There is a podcast too?!?

message 6: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments There's one called 'The Dropout' that came out this year!
It's made a lot of top of 2019 lists for podcasts.