Play Book Tag discussion

Roomies
This topic is about Roomies
Archive: Other Books > Roomies, by Christina Lauren- 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Finished this 2 weeks ago, and thinking back I'm remembering "Cute rom-com that is set in a faux-Hamilton musical era, with the green card trope a la The Proposal". I think I'm figuring Christina Lauren out.
1) Take overused romantic comedy trope
2) Modernize it, and put it in a trendy setting, give everyone fun hipster names
3) That's it. You have it.

Holland Baker works for her uncles in a theater that hosts a musical that is becoming a phenomenon. She has a crush on a busker in the NYC subway. After a weird incident, they meet- and she introduces her uncle to the busker. He's hired, but is here illegally (not that that is talked about with any nuance or substance)- what's the solution? Marry him of course!

Light, fluffy, don't need to pay attention to get it. Predictable but fun for the ride. After The Unhoneymooners I was hopping aboard the Christina Lauren train. I've now cooled, and will read when I need something mindless and fun- but not expecting anything more than that.

Also strange for the audio- the main love interest is Irish. The entire audiobook had an Irish narrator. She was clearly trying to hide the accent for the rest of the book (especially when "american English" was being spoken by characters). But it was extremely obvious that she had an accent the entire time.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments 😂😂😂 I think you have Christina Lauren figures out! And yet I will still read her books because they are quick, mindless fun.

I think one of her newer ones is the Unhoneymooners. I hope to get to that one soon.

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Yes, the Unhoneymooners is her newest, and the only other of hers I've read- I wanted to read this one because of the Broadway themes...

I'll definitely keep reading her, but my bar is set low.