The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Watch

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1300 comments I have been eagerly anticipating the new Pratchett based series The Watch.

Now I am not so sure. A show based on the Nightwatch series of books should be a winner but it looks like they are doing it on the cheep and getting the characters wrong.

Casting Richard Dormer is a great move but for some reason I keep seeing Carrot described as naive at a time when Angua and Cheery are members of the watch. At that point he should be Captain Carrot....

They have also cast a young woman as Sybil.... arrrggghhhhh! Colour blind great, do we really need to go down the older man younger woman road, negating the character from the books.

Grumble, looks like Cheery will not even have a beard.

At least my hopes won't be crushed since at the moment I have very little hope this will be any good.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 985 comments Iain wrote: "I have been eagerly anticipating the new Pratchett based series The Watch.

Now I am not so sure. A show based on the Nightwatch series of books should be a winner but it looks like they are doing..."

I had similar feelings when I saw the cast... Cheery isn’t non binary, she’s a female dwarf. Who has a beard. And Lady Sybil is middle-aged and overweight. Ok, so tv shows make changes to the books they adapt all the time, but it kinda feels like they’re missing the point of the original characters here.

message 3: by Nils (new)

Nils Krebber | 182 comments With you on all the Points. I don't really care if Cheerys actor is non-binary. She is an actress playing a role. Lets see her in Makeup and beard, then we'e talking.

With Sybil I am flabbergasted - it was the whole point that she was a mature, overweight matron with no Chance of getting married. And her pregancy being risky because of her age. At that Point, why Name that character Sybil?

message 4: by Silvana (last edited Sep 16, 2019 05:48PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1617 comments I agree with you all.

I also got the impression from the article that this is not going to be as funny quirky as it should be... It says 'punk rock drama'. I hope I am wrong. If they could do it at least like the Going Postal miniseries then I am happy.

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments Yeah, Going Postal was pretty good. Hoggfather was excellent. So there is proof that Pratchett's subtle, sarcastic humor can be captured for TV.

message 6: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1300 comments While I am worried about the subtle, sarcastic humour being captured I am more worried about Vimes.

Can they capture the the meeting pit of rage that is the core of his character while still keeping the humour intact.

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1617 comments I actually want Toby Stephens, he got that rage thing perfectly. But let's see.