Championing Book Reviewers discussion

What is your favourite book and why?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews] (last edited Sep 13, 2019 04:14AM) (new)

Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews]  (vaishalid) | 91 comments Mod
This is a tricky one because i'm sure we all might have many favourites, but on the flip-side we might also have just that one favourite that no other book will ever measure up to. I'm going to be a bit cheeky and name a few :D
1) Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
2) A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
3) Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
4) Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
5) Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
6) Divergent by Veronica Roth

Each of these books either provoked some really strong feeling in me, changed something in me or became a best friend to me. Shatter Me, ACOMAF, and Divergent in particular were emotional investments that sucked me dry of my soul, and i don't think i would be the same if i had never read them :)

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  Loves Books, Books and More Books (sarahlovesbooksteaandrainydays) | 2 comments Its so hard to choose - I probably have 10 but will narrow it to 4 as well 😆 each one has a special place in my heart.

Clockwork angel by Cassandra Clare
Kingdom of ash by sarah j maas
The woman in white by wilkie Collins
Wuthering Heights by Emily bronte

message 3: by Kilikina (new)

Kilikina (kilikinareadsbooks) | 2 comments Favorite book- The Book Thief- Markus Zusak. If I had to pick one book for every single person on earth to read, it would be that one. This book is life changing in so many ways, and every person should read it.

Others: The Hating Game, Six of Crows & Crooked Kingdom, The Simple Wild

My favorite series of all time: Harry Potter or Fever Series- Karen Marie Moning.

message 4: by nikita (new)

nikita  ❤ (nikitaheart) | 1 comments I have two favorites- Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, and Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. I adore both of these books so much! 😍

message 5: by Nabiela (new)

Nabiela | 13 comments Harry Potter changed my life, so definitely my favourite series. The world building and plotting is excellent, bar none.

I really enjoyed the Alchemist, most poetry by Rumi, and the Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer.

Sarah wrote: "Its so hard to choose - I probably have 10 but will narrow it to 4 as well 😆 each one has a special place in my heart.

Clockwork angel by Cassandra Clare
Kingdom of ash by sarah j maas
The woman ..."

It really is hard Sarah, especially when there are just so many amazing books to choose from and they mean something special to us haha.

Those are some great choices, my sister loves Cassandra Clare too. I personally haven't read any of her books but i hear she's very popular....and 'Kingdom of Ash' ? That's like my book bible lol.

message 7: by Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews] (last edited Sep 13, 2019 04:11AM) (new)

Kilikina wrote: "Favorite book- The Book Thief- Markus Zusak. If I had to pick one book for every single person on earth to read, it would be that one. This book is life changing in so many ways, and every person s..."

I've heard about that book Kilikina - The Book Thief - but i haven't actually read it....I might give it a try one day now :)

Oh, i definitely agree, Karen Marie Moning's Fever series is just amazing, so special. I've never come across a story or a premise like that before and it's one those series that just gets better. :)
Jericho Barrons is one of my favourite male characters in all of book history <3
I'm going to add Darkfever to my list now, thank you for reminding me !

message 8: by Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews] (last edited Sep 13, 2019 03:08AM) (new)

nikita wrote: "I have two favorites- Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, and Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. I adore both of these books so much! 😍"

Hi Nikita, those are some good choices, they seem to be quite popular choices on Goodreads :D
I'm glad you love them <3

Nabiela wrote: "Harry Potter changed my life, so definitely my favourite series. The world building and plotting is excellent, bar none.

I really enjoyed the Alchemist, most poetry by Rumi, and the Devil's Cub b..."

I have to agree Nabiela, Harry Potter is pretty special i think for most people. It's so intricate and the imagination that went into it is exceptional. Undoubtedly it will always be an unforgettable one. I watched the films first as opposed to reading the books, so i think i might have some unpopular opinions about which i prefer :S lol

I think i might of read some of Rumi's work before, i'll probably try and read some more of his work when i can :)

message 10: by Nabiela (new)

Nabiela | 13 comments @Vaishali Dude, you're gonna love it. Your reviews are lyrical and fantastic. That's Rumi for you.

Nabiela wrote: "@Vaishali Dude, you're gonna love it. Your reviews are lyrical and fantastic. That's Rumi for you."

Thank you, i'm glad you like them <3... and i'm gonna definitely hop on the Rumi train now :)

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Lanz (laurenlanz) My favourite stand alone is The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. The book means so much to me, the history behind the story was wonderful.

My favourite series is The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. The characters and story have changed my life for the better. I can’t get over how beautifully told it all is.

message 13: by Maja (new)

Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨ (bibliophiliadk) | 4 comments I seriously cannot pick a favourite book of all time, I have simply read too many books for that 😅 But there is one series that is always going to mean the world to me, and that is Harry Potter. It was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone that got me into reading. My read brought it home when I was like 6-7 and read it aloud to me. That was when I got hooked on books.

Lauren wrote: "My favourite stand alone is The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. The book means so much to me, the history behind the story was wonderful.

My favourite series is The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stie..."

Hi Lauren :)

I'm so glad those books mean so much to you. It's amazing when we can find such strong connections with specific types of literature. I've heard of 'The Raven Cycle' because it seems to be a big favourite for most people. I haven't read it yet, but i do plan to sometime :D
Welcome to the group!

Maja wrote: "I seriously cannot pick a favourite book of all time, I have simply read too many books for that 😅 But there is one series that is always going to mean the world to me, and that is Harry Potter. It..."

Hi Maja :)

It's really hard isn't it? I don't think i've read as many books as you but i'm so indecisive that i can't just pick one!
Ah, i think Harry Potter would be a definite favourite on anybody's list. I watched the movies first as opposed to reading the books because i was a huge movie maniac when i was younger. I actually read the books about 2 years ago ? Really late but i'm so glad i did :D

Welcome to the group <3

message 16: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 22 comments Hey guys! Okay so when it comes to favourite book there is one name that always pops up first and that is Pride and Prejudice. Why I love it? That is a question to which I still have to think of a coherent answer :).

Tahera wrote: "Hey guys! Okay so when it comes to favourite book there is one name that always pops up first and that is Pride and Prejudice. Why I love it? That is a question to which I still have to think of a ..."

Hi Tahera 😊
A popular choice and a classical one - one which I unfortunately haven't read because I find it difficult to get into classics, but I'm glad this is a memorable one for you.
Welcome to the group !

message 18: by Zoeb (new)

Zoeb | 2 comments Hello Vaishali,

It is hard to choose an absolute favourite among all the books that I treasure and love. But anyways, here is my list of top 5 books:

5- 'Watchmen' by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (tied with 'From Hell' by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell)

4- 'The Birds and Other Stories' by Daphne Du Maurier (yes, it is an ensemble of short stories but every single piece resonates and haunts on a surreal, sensational level).

3- 'The Moor's Last Sigh' by Salman Rushdie

2- 'Oliver Twist' by Charles Dickens

1- 'The Power And The Glory' tied with 'The Quiet American' by Graham Greene

Zoeb wrote: "Hello Vaishali,

It is hard to choose an absolute favourite among all the books that I treasure and love. But anyways, here is my list of top 5 books:

5- 'Watchmen' by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons..."

Hello Zoeb :)
Thank you for sharing your loved choices of literature <3