Championing Book Reviewers discussion

Welcome! Introduce yourself and your favourite genres :D

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews]  (vaishalid) | 91 comments Mod
Hi guys :)
I'm Vaishali and i'm the moderator of the group.
I joined Goodreads in 2018 and my favourite genres are New adult, fantasy and contemporary romance....with a special appreciation for anything fae. I started reading YA but then ventured into NA, and loved what i found.
I hope to keep contact and get to know what you lovely people like reading too!
Lots of love <3

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  Loves Books, Books and More Books (sarahlovesbooksteaandrainydays) | 2 comments Hi everyone, Thank you for the invite Vaishali! I think this is a really good idea for a goodreads group

My name is Sarah and my favourite genres are fantasy - both adult and YA, historical crime, classics and steampunk.

lazybookconqueror | 1 comments Hi everyone! Vaishali, thanks for the invite!
My handle is @lazybookconqueror, but my name is Patricia.

My favorite genre is contemporary romance, but I also love fantasy, mystery, new adult, and YA.

Sarah wrote: "Hi everyone, Thank you for the invite Vaishali! I think this is a really good idea for a goodreads group

My name is Sarah and my favourite genres are fantasy - both adult and YA, historical crime,..."

No problem Sarah :)
I'm glad you're part of the group and i hope you enjoy yourself! <3

Kilikina wrote: "Hey guys! First off, thank you to Vaishali for making this group- I think this'll be an awesome group to be apart of, so thank you for inviting me. :)

My name is Kilikina on here, but my real nam..."

Hi Kilikina!
You're welcome and i'm glad you like the idea :)
I thought it was about time that somebody made a group like this so we can support each other...And 'Kilikina' is a beautiful name.
I'll create another discussion soon where we can all share handles and social media accounts <3

lazybookconqueror wrote: "Hi everyone! Vaishali, thanks for the invite!
My handle is @lazybookconqueror, but my name is Patricia.

My favorite genre is contemporary romance, but I also love fantasy, mystery, new adult, and..."

Hi Patricia :)
You're welcome to the group, and those are some great genres. Feel free to get involved and have fun <3

message 7: by Nabiela (new)

Nabiela | 13 comments Hi, guys! Thanks for inviting me to this group, Vaishali. I think it's going to be a blast.

My name is Nabiela, I'm 25 ( today is my birthday ) and I'm just a fangirl trying to find a grown up book suited to my whimsy.
I still read Harry Potter fanfic, I love Avatar the Last Airbender and if you guys read ANYTHING like the masterpiece that is the Six of Crows duology ( I would drink Leigh Bardugo's bathwater ) ,let a girl know.

Nabiela wrote: "Hi, guys! Thanks for inviting me to this group, Vaishali. I think it's going to be a blast.

My name is Nabiela, I'm 25 ( today is my birthday ) and I'm just a fangirl trying to find a grown up bo..."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nabiela !!
I hope you have a lovely day :)
i'm going to be 26 on the 22nd Sep so we share a birth month <3
Those are some great choices.
haha (that's some dedication there) I haven't read the Six of Crows duology but my sister has and she loves it, so when i get the time i will try and read them *thumbs up*

message 9: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 1 comments Hey guys! And thanks for the invite Vaishali 😊

I’m Laura, I’m 26, lawyer by day but live in books! In terms of book reviews I’m mostly active here on good reads ( only got into it fairly recently) but been an avid reader most of my life! I will read a wide range of genres but have a particular weakness for fantasy!

message 10: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (hazeluriel) | 1 comments Hi guys! (Thanks for inviting me Vaishali!!)

My name is Hazel, I'm 13 years old and buried in Astrophysics and Criminology plus books. I love reading, physical activities, piano, traveling, swimming, movies and Aikido.

My birthday is March 10- I'm a double Pisces. :)

My favorite movies are:
Resident Evil
Star Wars
Pirates of the Caribbean
Lord of the Rings
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
I'm a huge Marvel fan :)

My favorite book genre is romance/fantasy.

~Hazel

message 11: by Coffee&Quasars (new)

Coffee&Quasars (coffeequasars) | 10 comments Hi everyone, and thanks to Vaishali for inviting me. My name's Coffee&Quasars, but you can call me Coffee for short. That, or Yrectg :)

I haven't been very good at reading/reviewing lately, between working on my dissertation and getting a dog, but I love genre fiction (of all kinds, but particularly Sci-Fi/Cosmic Horror), plus a few classics here and there. With any medium, I like getting outside my comfort zone and trying new things.

Some of my favourite books:

MAUS
The Road
Embassytown
Don Quixote
The Count of Monte Cristo
Flowers for Algernon
The Woman in the Dunes
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
The Goblin Emperor
Children of Time/Ruin
The Idiot (Dostoevsky)

For now I'm pretty much only on Goodreads, but I have some projects planned for the near future, which I'll be happy to share.

Will anyone else here be participating in NaNoWriMo?

Oh, and Happy Birthday Nabiela! You've just reminded me of the poor firebending soldier who had the Worst Birthday Ever during Sozin's Comet.

Laura wrote: "Hey guys! And thanks for the invite Vaishali 😊

I’m Laura, I’m 26, lawyer by day but live in books! In terms of book reviews I’m mostly active here on good reads ( only got into it fairly recently)..."

Welcome to the group Laura :)
That's great...i actually got into reading a bit later than most people as well, but i agree that fantasy is one of the best genres to dive into. Where it takes a great deal of imagination to create i want to be there :D

Hazel wrote: "Hi guys! (Thanks for inviting me Vaishali!!)

My name is Hazel, I'm 13 years old and buried in Astrophysics and Criminology plus books. I love reading, physical activities, piano, traveling, swimmi..."

Hi Hazel
Welcome to the group :)
Those are some great subjects i hope you're enjoying, and all those hobbies must keep you very busy!
I haven't personally watched much of Marvel, but i loved Pirates of the Caribbean when i was younger. Great movie!

Coffee&Quasars wrote: "Hi everyone, and thanks to Vaishali for inviting me. My name's Coffee&Quasars, but you can call me Coffee for short. That, or Yrectg :)

I haven't been very good at reading/reviewing lately, betwe..."

Hi Coffee
Welcome to the group!
Good luck with your dog and your dissertation :)
Scifi/horror/ classics aren't my favourite genre but i can definitely see the appeal.
Of course, feel free to share any projects in the future.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone ! : )

I'm thirty-one years old ENFJ male Giver who truly loves to read books with beautiful and mysterious covers and review pretty much everything he reads except book series of novels. : ) So feel free to check out some of my reviews to see what an ENFJ review actually looks and feels like. : )

Jasmin wrote: "Hi everyone ! : )

I'm thirty-one years old ENFJ male Giver who truly loves to read books with beautiful and mysterious covers and review pretty much everything he reads except book series of novel..."

Hi Jasmin :)
Welcome to the group, i hope you get the best out of joining!
I have to agree that books with beautiful covers are enticing, luring you in only to never let you go. :)

Egle (readingfreakquotes) | 3 comments Hi all, thanks for adding me to this group Vaishali, really looking forward to making new book friends and new connections.

My real name is Egle, I'm originally from Lithuania, but living in Ireland for the last 17 years. I discovered my reading passion just a few years ago. Unfortunately, many years ago compulsory school reading killed my reading joy and only thanks to Jojo Moyes and her book Me Before You I discovered reading beauty again. In Feb/Mar decided to share my newly discovered reading obsession on Instagram and was blown away by an awesome bookstagramming community out there where I managed to meet so many new like-minded people and discover tons of new talented authors.

I like contemporary romance, but not a huge fan of historical or fantasy stories.

Chat soon :-)

message 18: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 22 comments Hi everyone! I am Tahera. I joined Goodreads a while ago but only began actively using since 2017. My favourite genres are classics, mysteries/ thrillers, historical fiction, contemporary but I almost read everything as long as the story is good.

message 19: by Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews] (last edited Sep 15, 2019 02:08AM) (new)

Tahera wrote: "Hi everyone! I am Tahera. I joined Goodreads a while ago but only began actively using since 2017. My favourite genres are classics, mysteries/ thrillers, historical fiction, contemporary but I alm..."

Hi Tahera 😁
Welcome, and I hope you enjoy this group.
I have to agree that regardless of genre a good story is a good story.
<3

Egle (readingfreakquotes) wrote: "Hi all, thanks for adding me to this group Vaishali, really looking forward to making new book friends and new connections.

My real name is Egle, I'm originally from Lithuania, but living in Irela..."

Hi Egle 😊
It's great that you rediscovered your passion for reading, and I agree that reading for study can really zap the enjoyment out of it sometimes.
I've only just joined Instagram, but definitely it's like a home for book lovers, and there is some amazing bookstagramming going on. It's a great tool for communication and discovering read additions to add to the TBR!
Welcome to the group, and feel free to get involved 😁

message 21: by Zoeb (new)

Zoeb | 2 comments Hello everyone and hello Vaishali,

My name is Zoeb Matin and I live in Bombay, India. I have been reading books since boyhood (one of my first books was, rather delightfully, 'Five Go To Demon's Rocks' by Enid Blyton and while I was poring vividly, with my eyes wide open, at the small, minuscule print of that entertaining young-hearted adventure, I lost a little of my eyesight at that tender age, I believe and have been wearing glasses since then). I love reading classics even today because those were the books I grew up reading with - Dickens, Twain, Verne, Wells, Kipling, Dumas and Stevenson. I admit to still not have read any of Austen, though I did devour Mary Shelley and Anna Sewell. Anyways, it is never too late to make a start.

Classics still hold their deserved place in my heart. I am not too keen on any of the recent works of fiction in the last 20 years or so (though, admittedly, I am yet to give them a try too) but it is the classics of the previous century that I really love reading if I have to explore modern literature. Among my favourites are Graham Greene, Daphne Du Maurier, Ian Fleming, Salman Rushdie, Saadat Hassan Manto, RK Narayan, Anthony Burgess, Vladimir Nabokov, Saul Bellow, Thomas Pynchon, Alan Moore and John Le Carre too. I am also keen to explore more of Angela Carter, Virginia Woolf, Somerset Maugham, Kingsley Amis and Henry James as well. The list will go on and on.

Zoeb wrote: "Hello everyone and hello Vaishali,

My name is Zoeb Matin and I live in Bombay, India. I have been reading books since boyhood (one of my first books was, rather delightfully, 'Five Go To Demon's ..."

Hello my dear friend Zoeb :)

Welcome to the group, and thank you so much for sharing your love of classics. I've read many of your reviews and in all honestly your write some of the best reviews i have ever read...in fact they almost read like classics themselves :)
I hope you keep on writing such passion-filled and eloquent reviews as you do best!

message 23: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha Tariq Ali (ayeshatariqali) | 3 comments Hi everyone,

I'm Ayesha and I used to be a very big bookworm. I literally read around 300 books one year... unfortunately, I don't get to read as much due to several factors. I'm currently halfway through my BS in Applied Psychology and I am an aspiring clinical psychologist. An interesting fact is that a book quote helped seal my decision to go for this field.

I volunteer a lot. I see myself as a mental health advocate and so I've been using my writing and poetry talents to spread awareness and support. I'm also an online listener at a global mental health support site, where I also am involved in lots of leadership teams, one being a whole community that I have the privilege of totally overseeing! Connecting and delivering to such a global community has been a beautiful journey.

A few months back, I joined NetGalley and thus have enjoyed reading book copies before they are released and helping authors through honest reviews.

I battle several health conditions and reading has always been a great world for distraction and enjoyment.

My favorite genres over the years has highly involved mystery, thrillers, and of course detective stories alongside YA.

I have decided to give this group a try so as to connect with fellow readers and perhaps get some supportive connections.

message 24: by Ewe (new)

Ewe Linka (iamewelinka) | 7 comments Hiii all, nice to meet you and be included in this chat :) Thank you!
I am Ewe and along with my bookstagram - iamewelinka - I joined goodreads a month ago as I have been reading a lot and also I have been writing my debut book which I wish to publish sometime next year after extensive checks and edits. I'm super excited as I have always wanted to do this but also terrified !
My favourite genre is crime thriller but I like contemporary fiction and magical realism sort of books too.
How is everyone doing ? :)

message 25: by Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews] (last edited Sep 18, 2019 02:14AM) (new)

Ayesha wrote: "Hi everyone,

I'm Ayesha and I used to be a very big bookworm. I literally read around 300 books one year... unfortunately, I don't get to read as much due to several factors. I'm currently halfway..."

Hi Ayesha 😊

Thank you so much for joining this group and sharing about yourself.
Wow! 300 books? I can only manage about 50 or less in a year because I'm such a slow reader, but it helps in that I can really savour and indulge in what I'm reading.
Congratulations and I wish you the best with your course, Psychology is an interesting subject so I imagine you'd get the best out of a course like that :)
It's amazing how much you are doing, and the energy you are dedicating to an incredibly important cause like mental health...I hope to one day do something very similar.
I sincerely hope you maintain that energy and stay strong, it's quite amazing to me that you can do so much while fighting multiple health conditions 💕
I hope you always stay as well as you can, and welcome to the group!

Feel free to get involved <3

And if you'd like to make connections you can add your social media handles in the 'Social media handles' discussion if you haven't done so already 😁

Ewe Linka wrote: "Hiii all, nice to meet you and be included in this chat :) Thank you!
I am Ewe and along with my bookstagram - iamewelinka - I joined goodreads a month ago as I have been reading a lot and also I h..."

Hi Ewe 😊

Thank you for joining, and I hope you get the best interaction from this group :)
Congratulations on writing your book! That must be exciting. I wish you every luck with it's publication, and I hope writing goes as smoothly as possible for you. I can't imagine it's easy, I would be terrified too, but it's natural especially if this is your first book. Hopefully you can make many Goodreads connections to review for you once it's done.

Welcome to the group <3

message 27: by Nico (new)

Nico Di Angelo (nico_diangelo) | 1 comments Hi everyone!!! Thank you for inviting me.

My favorite genres are fantasy, though I do enjoy mystery and historical fiction. Dystopian books are in the top 10 as well.

Reese-KeeperOfCampHalfBlood wrote: "Hi everyone!!! Thank you for inviting me.

My favorite genres are fantasy, though I do enjoy mystery and historical fiction. Dystopian books are in the top 10 as well."

Hi Reese 😊

You're welcome, and welcome to the group!

message 29: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Stormblessed  (derrickwitness) | 1 comments Hi everyone. I'm a little late to the party. My name is Derrick.

I love reading nonfiction, SciFi and more recently hardcore fantasy. I'm glad to be here.

Thanks for the add, Vaishali.

Derrick wrote: "Hi everyone. I'm a little late to the party. My name is Derrick.

I love reading nonfiction, SciFi and more recently hardcore fantasy. I'm glad to be here.

Thanks for the add, Vaishali."

Hi Derrick :)

Welcome to the group, and thank you for joining!

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie Margolis (bookscapades) | 1 comments Hi guys, I'm Katie and I review books with my best friend Alex on Bookscapdes. We read a lot of YA fantasy but i am also a big historical fiction and SYFY buff. I have always loved to read but in the last two years I have really ramped things up, and Alex and I wanted to share our rantings/crazy theories/recommendations with the world. I will honestly read anything good so keep the suggestions coming. Oh i especially love a good audio-books if you have any good narrator suggestions!

Katie wrote: "Hi guys, I'm Katie and I review books with my best friend Alex on Bookscapdes. We read a lot of YA fantasy but i am also a big historical fiction and SYFY buff. I have always loved to read but in t..."

Hi Kate :)

That's great to hear, you're welcome to share your ramblings here!
Welcome to the group, and thank you for joining <3

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura Mills-Alcott | 2 comments Hi. I'm Laura, and I just recently got on GoodReads. I read the news and Historical Romance. I also write Historical (Regency) Romance.

Because of my writing, I do have contacts for those interested in actively reviewing (mostly women's fiction and romance) that may be helpful to taking your reviewing to another level.

Look forward to being part of the group as time allows :)

Laura wrote: "Hi. I'm Laura, and I just recently got on GoodReads. I read the news and Historical Romance. I also write Historical (Regency) Romance.

Because of my writing, I do have contacts for those interest..."

Hi Laura 😊
It's great to have an author in the group, and thank you for sharing that. Hopefully once this group grows we can start getting people who are interested in certain genres to review author works!
Welcome to the group, and feel free to share anything or even make suggestions 👍

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Mills-Alcott | 2 comments thanks :)

message 36: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Rose (adrianrose9) | 8 comments Hi,
I'm Adrian. I am an author (just one book so far but looking forward to another) and an active member of Goodreads. I have chronic health problems that prohibit my working and even leaving my home difficult, so social sites like this are my lifeline to the world. I have accounts on Facebook, Twitter (I follow Vaishali there), and Linked In, all under the name of Adrian Rose. I also have a blog called Children of Father God and Mother Earth. Please feel free to look me up on any of them.

Adrian wrote: "Hi,
I'm Adrian. I am an author (just one book so far but looking forward to another) and an active member of Goodreads. I have chronic health problems that prohibit my working and even leaving my h..."

Hi Adrian 😊
Thank you for joining the group, and congratulations on your book!
As somebody who deals with a chronic illness myself I can truly understand the struggles of living with persistent, crippling symptoms, and it is quite a feat managing to get anything done at all.

I hope social media continues to help you, and feel free to share or communicate however you'd like to <3

message 38: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine Rodgers (goodreadscomsunshinerodgers) | 3 comments Hey guys!!

My name is Sunshine Rodgers. I am an International Best Selling Author to 5 books! A little about what I write: sunshinerodgers.com

I absolutely LOVE to read Y/A, inspirational or Faith-based Fiction, Nonfiction - Historical, Biographies, etc!

My favorite authors are C.S. Lewis, John Eldredge and for a romantic feel-good book, Sarah Dessen!

I'm happy to be a part of this group! - Sunshine

Sunshine wrote: "Hey guys!!

My name is Sunshine Rodgers. I am an International Best Selling Author to 5 books! A little about what I write: sunshinerodgers.com

I absolutely LOVE to read Y/A, inspirational or F..."

Hi Sunshine!

It's great to have another author here to join, and congratulations on the success of your books 😊
Welcome to the group 💓

message 40: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Carriere | 1 comments Hello, I'm Ryan Carriere and I just launched my debut novel Firestone: A Tale of the Eternal Stones! I would love some reviews and it is available in paperback, kindle, ebook and audiobook.

If you love a funny cast of misfits struggling to find a last hope in dark times, then you’ll love Firestone! It is also available for Review on Reedsy Discovery.

Check out my website for more info www.ryancarriere.ca

I love to read steampunk, epic fantasy and scifi.

Cheers

Ryan wrote: "Hello, I'm Ryan Carriere and I just launched my debut novel Firestone: A Tale of the Eternal Stones! I would love some reviews and it is available in paperback, kindle, ebook and audiobook.

If yo..."

His Ryan,

Welcome to the group and thank you for joining :)
Congratulations on your novel release, I hope it does well!

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol Pennington | 3 comments Greetings from East Texas! I have been a member of Goodreads since 2015, but I am definitely a lifelong reader. I can’t say I have a favorite genre as I enjoy good books across many genres. I do prefer books with few or no curse words and I also prefer books without detailed sex scenes.

My primary review site is MoreThanaReview.com. I also post reviews here and on Amazon.

I am excited to be a member of this group! Unfortunately, I also belong to the chronic health condition club. Some days getting out of bed is a chore. So, if you don’t see me posting, please say a prayer for me.

Carol wrote: "Greetings from East Texas! I have been a member of Goodreads since 2015, but I am definitely a lifelong reader. I can’t say I have a favorite genre as I enjoy good books across many genres. I do pr..."

Hi Carol!
Greetings all the way from UK
Thank you so much for joining and I hope you get something out of this group :)
I do have to agree, although certain genres tend to stick with us, a good book is always a good book.
Thank you for sharing, I send prayers and the heartiest of best of wishes! <3

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, nice to meet you! Im a cross genre author of paranormal historical fiction and psychological fiction.
I hope this will be a great way to connect with authors and readers!

Domeniqa wrote: "Hello, nice to meet you! Im a cross genre author of paranormal historical fiction and psychological fiction.
I hope this will be a great way to connect with authors and readers!"

Hi Domeniqa 😊
Thank you for joining the group!
The group is very much in a phase of limbo at the moment but hopefully once we get more interaction this will be a great place for reader/writer interaction <3
Please feel free to get involved!
Xx

message 46: by Ewe (new)

Ewe Linka (iamewelinka) | 7 comments Hi all !
Since being invited to this lovely group I have now published a YA Fantasy book and I would love to drop a little info about it, for those who would be interested and those who would love to support a self-published author. It means so much, especially since I am kinda hoping to win an Amazon competition, so every sale and every review is so important to me. The book is available in Kindle Unlimited too or for a reasonable price on Amazon.

Thank you so much for reading this and considering purchasing a copy!

Direct link to Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...

Direct link to Goodreads page:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

Ewe

Ewe wrote: "Hi all !
Since being invited to this lovely group I have now published a YA Fantasy book and I would love to drop a little info about it, for those who would be interested and those who would love ..."

Hi Ewe!
Congratulations on releasing your debut 🎉🎆
Thank you so much for sharing and I wish you every success with it!

message 48: by Ewe (new)

Ewe Linka (iamewelinka) | 7 comments Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews] wrote: "Ewe wrote: "Hi all !
Since being invited to this lovely group I have now published a YA Fantasy book and I would love to drop a little info about it, for those who would be interested and those who..."

Thank you so much ! :)