Play Book Tag discussion

Magpie Murders (Susan Ryeland, #1)
This topic is about Magpie Murders
September 2019: Cultural > Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5068 comments Really interesting concept - a book within a book! That explains why this is so long at 501 pages. It's a bit confusing at first, because it opens with the book's editor saying that this book Magpie Murders changed her life. But she gives the author as Alan Conway, which threw me off. But it then throws you right into the murder mystery set in the 1940s with the Poirot-like private investigator Atticus Pund, nosing around in a small English village where two deaths have taken place: a fall down the stairs and a decapitation. I don't want to reveal too much, except that the second mystery is the death of Alan Conway, the "author" of what seems to be the book the reader is reading.

I thought it was very well done. My only issues with it are that when we are taken out of the world of the book into the modern world of the publisher, the pace slows down way too much. Fortunately, just as I was getting impatient, it picks up again and then trucks along smartly until the end. The second problem I had with it was the stupidity of the main character, who naively trusts the murderer at the end when it was glaringly obvious what would happen after that. Honestly, the slowdown of pace I could understand, and I was on my way to giving it 4.5, but I docked off a whole point instead of a half because of that character acting profoundly stupidly. Otherwise I thought the whole thing was very clever and enjoyed this book very much, and would recommend it for any mystery aficionados, especially Agatha Christie fans.

A note: two people tagged this "cultural-England", which is why I am posting it here.

Theresa | 7400 comments I so enjoyed this!