Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General - Group Business > Nominations for December 2019 Books of the Month

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Sep 20, 2019 02:39PM) (new)

Kathi | 3082 comments Mod
Hi everyone,
Heading into fall, and it's time to open nominations for our December 2019 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination. If you would like to make a nomination, please post in this thread (the Nominations for December 2019 thread at the Beyond Reality group page) with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination. If possible, please use a link to the book and author in your nomination post. Click on “add book/author" for an easy way to do that.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. a new resource! The Beyond Reality Google spreadsheet of Previous Books of the Month is available at this link: Previous Books of the Month in Searchable Spreadsheet. To search for a specific title, use the "Find and Replace" option under the EDIT menu. Don't worry, you will be able to find a title but you will not be able to replace it since the spread sheet is in "View Only" mode.

Or you can use our previous methods:

b. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month
and/or
c. these threads:
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2018 - Present
Master list of Previous Books of the Month (Apr-Dec 2017)
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2012 - 2017
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2006 - 2011

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding is NOT necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Friday, September 20.
• The first (preliminary) round of polls will open Saturday, September 21 and will run through Wednesday, September 25.
• The final run-off polls go up Thursday, September 26, and will be open through Monday, September 30.

Thanks!
Kathi, for the Mods

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:
FANTASY:
Kamikaze by Kit Sun Cheah
Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
SF:
Holy Fire by Bruce Sterling
Excession by Iain M. Banks
Recursion by Blake Crouch
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
The Power by Naomi Alderman

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments For Science Fiction, I will nominate dystopian cyberpunk Holy Fire by Austin TX writer Bruce Sterling. It's a nominee for several awards, and it's also on the 101 best sci fi novels since 1984 list. (Damien Broderick Science Fiction: The 101 Best Novels 1985 – 2010)

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

For SF: I’m going to once again nominate Excession by Iain M. Banks. It always seems to do well in the polling, but never quite makes it to the top. It is one of his Culture books, which often generate some good discussion.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 421 comments Kamikaze by Kit Sun Cheah Fantasy. What would life REALLY be like if you were abducted into a world with a video game like dungeon?

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Kathi wrote: "For SF: I’m going to once again nominate Excession by Iain M. Banks. It always seems to do well in the polling, but never quite makes it to the top. "

This is the first Banks book I read. I was hooked right away and have absorbed all his others since then.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2019 12:45PM) (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2115 comments Mod
For fantasy, I'll nominate Middlegame by Seanan McGuire again, since it almost won last time, I loved it, and I'm eager to hear what everyone else thinks of it.

message 7: by posthuman (last edited Sep 17, 2019 08:52AM) (new)

posthuman | 5 comments I'd like to nominate Recursion by Blake Crouch.

This was a super fun read that had me contemplating the mysteries of the universe for days (from part of my review):

"...picked up Recursion a few days ago on the way home from work, started reading and the next thing I know, it was 2AM and I had finished the book, curled up in a fetal position on the sofa with my mind completely shattered. Easily one of the best novels of the past few years. This story takes your heart on a pounding journey from one emotional pole to the next while your mind is simultaneously exploding in slow motion."

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) PostHuman wrote: "I'd like to nominate Recursion by Blake Crouch.

This was a super fun read that had me contemplating the mysteries of the universe for days (from part of my review):..."

That's quite a compliment to Crouch, but I've liked the other books I've read by him & am looking forward to this one. I'll move it up on my wish list. Thanks.

message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Just a reminder—nominations are open through Friday. Is there anything you’d like to read & discuss? Let’s get some more ideas!

message 10: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud Gideon the Ninth for fantasy

message 11: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 51 comments For fantasy I nominate The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay.

For SF I nominate The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Last day for nominations!

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2115 comments Mod
I'll toss in another SF nomination: The Power by Naomi Alderman. Lots of food for discussion in that one. It was disturbing and thought-provoking - I couldn't put it down.

message 14: by posthuman (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:42AM) (new)

posthuman | 5 comments Ooh been looking forward to reading The Power, good one Shel!

I have one more suggestion for Fantasy category City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett. tbh never imagined I'd fall in love with an imaginary bureaucracy, but this world and its society are so full of lush details. Reminded me a bit of world of The City & The City or something Borges might come up with. One of my all time favorite books.

In this world the gods are real, but they have been killed and any acknowledgement of their very real miracles is prohibited by law. Unassuming junior bureaucrat Shara Thivani arrives at the city of Bulikov to investigate the murder of a historian researching these contraband miracles. She is a delightful protagonist and IMO even the minor characters were interesting and nuanced.

EDIT: woopsie daisy, nvm pls disregard as I see this was one of the previous books of the month

message 15: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

PostHuman wrote: "EDIT: woopsie daisy, nvm pls disregard as I see this was one of the previous books of the month"

This was Book of the Month in 2016, so it is eligible to be nominated. Only books that were BotM in the past 2 years are not eligible. So I will add it to the list. Thanks!

message 17: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 108 comments Joelle wrote: "Sci-fi nom The Old Lie by Claire G. Coleman"

Oh, yes! Great suggestion!

message 18: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Joelle wrote: "Sci-fi nom The Old Lie by Claire G. Coleman"

Joelle, I am not going to include this book. While it does appear to be SF (according to Amazon), Goodreads has it shelved as Fiction. In addition, our guidelines for BotM say that a book must be available in print format and internationally (say, through Amazon UK as well as US). It appears this book, while available as an ebook in the US (but not UK), is only available in print through a third-party reseller on Amazon US, which makes me wonder how available the print edition actually is.

Perhaps ebooks are ubiquitous enough that we can change that guideline at some point. That is a discussion the Mods should have and perhaps this book will be eligible in the future.

Thanks!

message 19: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Preliminary polls for the December 2019 are open. Please vote!!

Fantasy: Preliminary Fantasy Poll December 2019

SF: Preliminary Science Fiction Poll December 2019

message 20: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Wednesday, September 25, is the last day to vote in the preliminary round of polls. Both polls are close—your vote can make the difference in which books move on into the final polls!

message 21: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Voting was close in the preliminary rounds!

Final round of polls is now open. Please vote!

Science Fiction: SF Final Poll

Fantasy: Fantasy Final Poll

message 22: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

The polls are very close!
Monday, September 30 is the last day to vote.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.