Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Weekly Checkins > Week 37: 9/5 - 9/12

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5344 comments Mod
How was your reading week?

We've got no admin news that I can think of. All our monthly group reads have been chosen for the year, so now we just read ...

This week I finished 6 books, none for this Challenge, so I remain 47/50. Two of my books were 5 stars, the rest ranged from “meh” to “I hated this.” That's what I get for trying new things.

Mapping the Interior by Stephen Graham Jones- a novella from one of my favorite authors, this was weird and fantastic. Maybe it’s horror, maybe it’s just a coming of age story of a troubled kid. This filled “involving indigenous people” for AtY.

Thirsty by Mia Hopkins - this didn’t look like my kind of book, but I saw some rave reviews so I borrowed it from the library. Nope! Not my kind of book.

Still Life by Louise Penny - so many of you love this series, I had to read this! It’s more “cozy” than I was expecting, not so much my thing, but I’ll probably try to continue the series.

Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado - this collection of short stories blew me away! So good! These were gritty and weird and explicit and sort of SFF - if that sounds good to you, I highly recommend.

Lord Dashwood Missed Out by Tessa Dare - I need to stop reading Tessa Dare because I never like her books. This novella was recommended to me in a Twitter discussion (see today’s QOTW!) and I got sucked in by one of my favorite tropes, and it was a Fail.

Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari - this was my “book you’ve owned for over a year” for AtY. I don’t buy many books, so I don’t have many unread books lying around - this was a prize from my library book club a few summers ago. I expected some mindless zombie fun, and it delivered on the mindless part, there were no zombies, and it wasn’t quite as fun as I’d hoped. This would be a good middle grade choice for post-apocalyptic survival story.

Question of the Week

This week’s question is from Serendipity: Where do you go for book recommendations - favourite blogs, podcasts etc?

Most of my book choices come from right here on Goodreads, of course! (both in this group and from my GR friends in general) Sometimes I read BookRiot newsletters, too, and I eagerly await The Millions Most Anticipated lists twice a year. I’ve started following authors on Twitter more now, and I’ve gotten some recommendations there (these don’t always work out hahaha!!). I’m trying to follow some Bookstagrammers, but that only occasionally results in learning about a new book I want to read.

message 2: by Ellie (last edited Sep 12, 2019 04:14AM) (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments Autumn's definitely arrived, the weather's turned cooler and Pret's got a new soup menu. I do like this season but not when it's grey and wet like this week.

I finished Tiger for zodiac sign in the title. Not really sure about this one, I enjoyed Frieda's story, losing her job with the Bonobos, her addiction, and working in a small zoo, but then it switches to Siberia and for ages the stories felt unconnected and I didn't care much for the new characters introduced at that point.

Also read After Atlas for ATY (author with more than one book on TBR) and I loved it. It's a country house murder mystery but with a science fiction twist. The idea of people being owned by corporations rather than employed was a scary thought.

And I read Season of the Witch for a book that makes you nostalgic. I haven't seen the Netflix version but I watched Sabrina the Teenage Witch in the 90s and this was pretty cute. Though they've replaced Salem the cat.

I'm currently reading Darkdawn not for any challenges and listening to The Testaments for article of clothing on the cover. The audiobook is excellent and I'm especially enjoying Aunt Lydia's parts.

PS: 42/52 | ATY: 46/52 | GR: 96/100

QOTW:
I read a lot of new releases so often these aren't recommended, I just liked the sound of them based on publisher's PRs dangling them in front of my nose. Just because they say it's good doesn't mean it's good! Actual recommendations I take from a handful of bookish people/bloggers on Twitter. Recs really need to be from a source I know has similar tastes to me.

I've been burned too many times by BookRiot's recs. I still look through what they're reading but take it with a pinch of salt these days if they'll be any good or not.

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 670 comments I finished Love, Anger, Madness: A Haitian Trilogy as my book with he word love in the title. It's 3 novellas. I actually liked Love the least. Anger was pretty good. Madness was a tad bit confusing.

I also finished The Best American Short Stories 2000 reminding me why I don't generally read short stories.

And I've started The Tournament of Blood as my book with an amateur detective. It's so good. I love historical fiction.

message 4: by Stacey (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:48AM) (new)

Stacey | 400 comments Happy Thursday Guys!

Fall is here for sure as well, the colours have started and most of this week has been around 15C/60F during the day and quite chilly at night..there was one night I even turned on the oil furnace! XD

This week I managed to read 4 books, which is a little slower than my last couple weeks but I'm still happy with that progress! I'm now up to 18/53 on the Popsugar Challenge (I just started in August). =)

Read This Week

Broken by Elizabeth Kelly for 47/48) Two Books that share the same title ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - This book had A LOT of sexual content but beyond that it was a cute, heartwarming romance & I read it in one sitting. I'm planning on reading Broken by K. Webster for the other & also have Broken by Kathleen Hayes as a failsafe.

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager for 30) A Book featuring an amateur detective ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ - I liked this more than I expected to based on the synopsis (which is always a plus)! This book started out a little bit slower but once I got into it it went incredibly quickly. I loved that the twists just kept on coming & I hadn't guessed them!

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter for 11) A book with an item of clothing/accessory on the cover (although this could also work for amateur detective!) Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - This book was well written and had a lot of surprises & twists along the way and it kept my attention. Most people would probably give it a higher rating than I would but Thrillers like this just aren't my cup of tea. I'm glad that I read it as I think it's always nice to branch out from your typical genres. Warning, it had a lot of vivid descriptions of some pretty unpleasant things..so if that's not your thing I'd steer clear.

Day 21 (The 100 #2) by Kass Morgan for 20) A Book set in space ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ - I can't explain too much without spoilers but the book series is way better than the Netflix show! For those familiar with the show you're probably thinking wait...this is set on earth no? It is partially...but the chapters flip to different character perspectives & one of them is in space. =)

Currently Reading

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler for 22) A Book with a title that contains "salty", "sweet", "bitter" or "spicy"

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Boyfriend & I are still slowly plugging away at this one together a few chapters a few times a week before bed. We're up to 74% now. :) I'm still enjoying it & I love the quiet wind down time together.

QOTW

Firstly I just want to say it made me smile to see us using the Canadian spelling of the word favourite! =) I'm now curious what other English speaking countries use this spelling? I know the US is favorite and it just looks so wrong to me ahaha!

My Sister & A Couple close friends are my primary sources of book recommendations (& books!) but I also pick up a few recommendations from the Goodreads & Facebook groups that I'm a part of although I tend to take them with a grain of salt unless I know that the person & I have similar tastes!

message 5: by Brittany (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:09AM) (new)

Brittany | 182 comments Happy Thursday all!

I finished 4 books this week, all of which I gave a 3 star rating. I feel like there was a bunch of stuff that happened this week and yet I can't for the life of me remember what went on. Guess I'll just get to the books!

So I started the week by finishing off Wilder Girls which I grabbed solely for the cover, which I think is really beautiful and neat looking. I've been eyeing this one for a while since it's been showing up on GR recently but I have to admit the plot is completely opposite to what I would normally go for. Dystopian novels just are not for me. But I was wooed in when it was just sitting there at my library looking all pretty and available. Well it definitely was not my favorite kind of story but it was good. I really loved how many female characters there are (basically every character in the book) as it's based in a girls school which is isolated on an island.

Wilder Girls by Rory Power

Next, I finally picked up The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie to finish off the sweet, salty prompt. I actually somehow totally forgot this was the first Flavia de Luce novel until I started reading but now I can chime in whenever that gets brought up on this message board. I liked it and her to a degree. I did feel like a lot of the 'clues' were a little conveniently found. I'll probably read some of the others but most likely only if they fill future prompts.

At the same time I listened to Pieces of Her. I was really impressed with the ending and how everything was explained but I my interest might have waned at a few spots. I think my main issue with this book is that it's a dual timeline and I'm not a huge fan of that.

And lastly, I read The Assassin's Blade and I was so excited to get to this. The first 5 books of the Throne of Glass series have all been listed as lost at my library for well over a year now and with a series this long I wasn't really wanting to shell out the cash to buy 8 books nor wait the 6+ month waiting list for each book. I was so thrilled earlier this week when I was browsing my library's YA section and I turned around and there they all were. Nice brand new copies of all the missing books. I actually took books 1 and 2 home and then I had that little feeling where you think...wasn't there a novella prequel? And of course there is, which unfortunately I didn't realize until after the library was closed. They had shelved only the prequel in the New section where the rest of Maas' books are.

I've got to say, I was a little disappointed with it. This book contains 5 novellas and I found them all really predictable. I wasn't really ever surprised by any of the larger plot points in the stories. I do think that as 5 separate smaller books they flowed from one to the other really well and it was a great decision to just put them in one book together. Towards the end I was actually debating if I was going to want to start the series but the last few chapters made me want to know what was going to happen next so I will go ahead and read on.

QOTW: Where do you go for book recommendations - favourite blogs, podcasts etc?

Goodreads mainly! I am doing both the Popsugar Challenge and ATY so a good majority of the year the only books I read are to fulfill those challenge prompts. To find my next book I usually use the prompt threads or this weekly roundup. I also listen to the What Should I Read Next podcast and have gotten a lot of my next book recs from there. All of the book themed podcasts I've listened to have been recommended through this group.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Optimistically I started pulling out a few fall clothes this week (when the weather was predicting we might soon see some 70's), but Mother Nature decided to take that as a challenge and bring the temps back up into the 90's. SOOOOOO done with summer heat! Bring on the cozy!

Nadine - I can't promise that the Louise Penny series is for you, but I can say without a doubt that they improve greatly once you get a few more books in. So much of her series is built on character development, and that just takes a little time to build. I hope you continue to read and decide that you like it :)

Finished this week:

Notes from a Young Black Chef - this book wasn't even on my radar until I heard Anne Bogel recommended it on a recent episode of What Should I Read Next (more on that in the QOTW). It was great on audio! I don't follow many competitive food shows (with the exception of the Great British Baking Show) so I had not heard of Kwame Onwuachi, but he tells his story in a very engaging way.

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris. A friend recommended this to me because I've been on a suspense kick lately. I stayed up too late last night because I just had to finish it. So good!

Currently reading:

Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir by Ruth Reichl. I've been hearing this book recommended for a while. Actually, I've had her other book, Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise, on my TBR even longer. I wasn't in a particular hurry to read it, but I happened to see it available on audio through my library. I jumped on it because I expect it will eventually develop a hold list. I'm enjoying it so far. It's interesting that I am reading two foodie memoirs back to back. I wouldn't say that's a genre I read a lot of.

QOTW

I do get some recommendations from Goodreads, but more than that I get recommendations from podcasts like What Should I Read Next, Currently Reading, He Read She Read, The Popcast, Ten Things to Tell You (those last two aren't exclusively bookish podcasts, but they do recommend books fairly often). I also have a great local book club and a fabulous online book club which provide me with a TON of great suggestions!

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 182 comments Sara wrote: "Notes from a Young Black Chef - this book wasn't even on my radar until I heard Anne Bogel recommended it on a recent episode of What Should I Read Next (more on that in the QOTW). It was great on audio! I don't follow many competitive food shows (with the exception of the Great British Baking Show) so I had not heard of Kwame Onwuachi, but he tells his story in a very engaging way."

It's funny, but I saw you were reading this book and I had only just learned about it the day before on the WSIRN podcast. I wondered if that was how you heard of it too. The timing was just too perfect.

message 8: by Samantha (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:41AM) (new)

Samantha | 169 comments Happy Thursday! Today is my Friday at work, and I have a three day weekend which I really need! Looking forward to relaxing and getting caught up on some reading. It's been a busy week, and I only had one day off last weekend so I didn't get to read as much as I would have liked.

Finished:
Warcross - I listened to this for prompt #45 - a LitRPG book. I was so not looking forward to this prompt, and this ended up being one of my favorite books I've read for the challenge. I liked it so much that I actually started listening to Wildcard as soon as I finished this one.

Challenge Progress:
Regular Challenge - 37/40
Advanced Challenge - 9/10
Total - 46/50

Currently Reading:
Rewrite The Stars - I have an ARC of this and it's been a slow read for me. Part of that is that I read my kindle books when I have down time at work, but it's been busy all week.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - I'm reading this for prompt #13 - a book published posthumously.

Wildcard - I'm listening to this one. It's not for a challenge.

QOTW - Where do you go for book recommendations - favourite blogs, podcasts etc?
I have a circle of friends that I get recommendations from and post a lot on Facebook for recommendations. My local book club helps with ideas too! I also use Goodreads to see what my friends have liked. I get emails with recommendations from different authors and publishers as well. I don't listen to any podcasts, but maybe I should.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne Happy Thursday! 49/50

Completed:
The Egyptian Antiquities Murder by Sara Rosett is a 1920s set British house murder. It’s charming! Olive Bellgrave is assisting a friend in reopening the case of her uncle’s death. The predictably incompetent bumbling detective could care less and is fine with calling it suicide.

If the Haunting Fits, Wear It by Rose Pressey sucked me in with the Kentucky Derby and vintage clothes. Sadly, the rest of the plot is silly and the MC is named Cookie Chanel. Three ghosts are ‘helping’ Cookie, the protagonist’s grandmother is reincarnated as a cat, and Cookie has stolen evidence from the scene of the crime.

Memoir of sorts I Loved Her in the Movies: Working with the Legendary Actresses of Hollywood by Robert Wagner is an affectionate look at leading ladies of yore. I thought there might be more on Natalie Woods, but, alas, there was not.

In Progress

Every Breath You Take by Mary Higgins Clark is for fun. It's part of her Under Suspicion series.

Sconed to Death for fun.

DNF
Death Has A Thousand Doors by Will Cooper. This 1970s Western was supposed to include a trip to Andorra for my European reads. Once I hit the 1/3 point and realized that the book was only travelling throughout the southwest of the US and possibly Mexico, I decided to stop reading. I flipped through to see if there was any shot of Andorra, but it really was about illegal drugs coming across the border. I would have finished for that tricky Andorra, but wasn’t enjoying it.

QOTW Book recommendations
Trusty librarians and people checking books out of the library that are reading/ returning books I enjoyed.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 121 comments I also got suckered into thinking it was becoming fall, and then now we're back up in the 90s. I, too, am ready for fall clothes and cooler weather.

I was looking back through my reading lists for the last few years, and this is, historically, a slow reading time for me. I imagine it's because I take that trip with my dad every year for Labor Day weekend and there's not much reading time. But the trip is usually only 3-4 days and the reading lag is more like 2 weeks. It must just be a time when I re-set my brain.

I did finish one book this week, The Gifted School, which was not for the challenge. I had gotten it from book-of-the-month. I really enjoyed reading it, although if I think about it too much, there were a lot of plot holes. Anyway, it was entertaining and that's what matters most.

I am currently reading The Girl in the Tower. I loved the first book in this series and, so far, the second one is just as delightful. I also got She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement on Tuesday and I'm moving through that. It's … a lot. In a good way. I'm sure I'll have more to say when I finish it.

QOTW: I get book recommendations from a lot of places because I feel like it helps keep my reading varied. Sometimes on goodreads, including in this group. Sometimes from magazines, like Entertainment Weekly or Us Weekly, or my local newspaper's book reviews. Sometimes I get them from book riot lists or other articles that show up in my facebook feed. I do get something from book-of-the-month every month, and sometimes get additional ones from the library. I also just go to the library and see what they have out for recommendations, or even just browse the shelves.

message 11: by Brandy (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:52AM) (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 258 comments After a few slow week 3 books this week which is good. I'm behind.

Complete

Early Riser by Jasper Fforde probably my least favorite of his, but I'm a big fan so I still enjoyed it. I'm never going to get my sequel or prequel or whatever he claims to be working on for Shades of Grey though, am I? I read this because Jasper Fforde but it is happily about something cold (ATY).

The Electric State by Simon Stålenhag was on NPR's best graphic novels of 2018 list that I've been going through this year. The Graphics are STUNNING and the story is stark. This one is going to stick with me and I'll check out more by this author.

and Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston which I've had forever and have never gotten past the first couple of pages. I'm so glad I gave it another go. This was so good and so relevant today despite being published 82 years ago. Seriously 5 star read.

Currently Reading
I hesitate to call Reese Witherspoon a celeb I admire but her book list has been good so I picked up the most recent The Secrets We Kept by Lara Prescott. I'm just past the prologue but seriously I want to recommend the prologue to everybody! Can I count Reese Witherspoon for celebrity I admire if the thing I admire about her is her book club selections?

QOTW:
I get my recommendations from friends and family and pretentious book lists and here, a lot here. Most here probably. But we're about to get to the part of the year where I post on facebook once a week my most difficult prompts in hope that my friends and family have brilliant selection.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 692 comments I've had a really good reading week! I'm still enjoying my Lord of the Rings reread, and I think I'll start enjoying it more now that I'm past the Tom Bombadil chapter. I think I see the purpose of his character (finally), but I still fell asleep in the middle of it.

Finished
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (a book set in an abbey, cloister, monastery, vicarage, or convent). It's been a long road reading this book. We spent almost seven months together. I know more about Waterloo and Parisian sewers than I ever thought I would. While the story deserves all the 5 stars I gave it, after 1,232 pages (67 hours 53 minutes of the audiobook), I'm afraid I might be expressing an unpopular opinion when I say ... just watch the musical. Every time I got to one of the very, very long asides, I lost the emotional thread of the story and never quite got it back.

Reading
The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien
Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes
Zoo Nebraska: The Dismantling of an American Dream by Carson Vaughn

QOTW
I get recommendations from Goodreads and this group. Also, from Booklr (book Tumblr). I've learned not to be swayed by pretty pictures of book covers, though. I'm still salty that Booklr convinced me to read Snow Like Ashes.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda (linnola) | 37 comments Happy Thursday Everybody! My daughter is back home, so my evening walking is up, but reading is down.

Finished:

Paperback Crush: The Totally Radical History of ‘80s and ‘90s Teen Fiction for PS# 2 – A book that makes you nostalgic. I didn’t know what to read for this prompt. So when I saw it listed in the group discussion, I decided to give it a try. The author gave a comical review of the teen books of the ‘80s and ‘90s.

The Sun Is Also a Star – PS#24 – A book that takes place in a single day.

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame – PS #50 – A book set in an abbey… checking off a classic from my TBR

Remember Me? By Sophie Kinsella– PS #16 – A book with a question in the title. Cute, funny, easy read. Probably my favorite of her books.

Currently Reading:
I Heart London – BOTM for the I Heart series
The Boy in the Suitcase, by Lene Kaaberbol – PS# 23 – A Book set in Scandinavia

QOTW:
I like to check out the USA Today top 150 books and put popular/new releases on hold at the library. For a prompt I check what others have read and give them a try. Because I’m not sure of the other person’s reading preference, I take it with a grain a salt. It gives me a change to try a wide verity of books that I normally wouldn’t. I will read a chapter or two to decide yes or not, but don’t count that as a DNF because I would read that much at the book store if I was buying the book.

message 14: by Kenya (last edited Sep 12, 2019 06:08AM) (new)

Kenya Starflight | 610 comments Hey y'all.

Things have been kind of crappy for me on the work front, so I've indulged in a little self-care -- I hit the used book store in town and walked away with five books. XD At least books are cheaper and less damaging than getting drunk, right?

For anyone curious, these were my finds:

The Girl With All the Gifts -- been on my to-read list awhile, so now I don't have to inter-library loan it, heh
Sourdough -- see above
Wait Till Helen Comes -- read this as a child, time for a re-read
Lizard -- love this writer
The Book of Strange New Things -- looked interesting

Books read this week:

Southern Bound -- could work for the “ghost story” prompt, though I found it rather bland and forgettable. Also, the idea -- a research assistant being helped by the ghost of a 1940s private detective -- could have been a LOT of fun in the right hands, but it feels like the author didn’t even try. Ah well.

Humorous History: An Illustrated Collection of Wit & Irony from the Past -- short collection of weird and funny stories about historical figures and events. Amusing, though some stories are definitely better than others.

The Miracle and Tragedy of the Dionne Quintuplets -- I remembered reading about the Dionne’s in, of all things, one of Uncle John’s Bathroom Readers. It was fascinating, if heartbreaking, to read the full story, and to learn just how these poor girls were exploited by everyone around them.

Memetic -- graphic novel. Picked this up used from a vendor at the library comic-con, mostly because of the cute sloth on the cover. (view spoiler) Good apocalyptic story, though.

DNF:

A Hundred Thousand Worlds -- how the heck do you make a book about comic book conventions BORING? Probably by following four different characters without bothering to flesh any of them out or give the reader any reason to care about them. *sigh*

Currently Reading:

Kick
How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems

QOTW:

All you wonderful people! :) Seriously, I've been prompted to read some excellent books I wouldn't have picked up otherwise by paying attention to what people enjoy in this group. And even though our tastes don't always mesh (I'm very much a fantasy and sci-fi person), it's still interesting and even fun venturing out of my comfort zone from time to time.

Other than the PopSugar group, I also get book recs just from seeing what's available at the library. Since I work in the back quite a bit, I often get to see new releases as they're unboxed.

message 15: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5344 comments Mod
Hahaha Snow Like Ashes has SUCH a pretty cover (I ALWAYS get sucked in by a pretty cover) and the book, well - that was a hate read for me.

message 16: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 341 comments Hello All. I finished 2 books this week. One Good Earl Deserves A Lover (Rules Of Scoundrels Book 2) by Sarah MacLean. My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout. This book has been on my queue for years. I don’t know why I kept putting off reading it. I think I needed a years break after reading Olive Kitteridge. I really liked My Name is Lucy Barton. It read like a short story to me even though it isn’t. It was a quick read.
I get book recommendations from a lot of places. Sometimes it seems like I unconsciously get book recommendations. A new book will come out & I know all about it. I will think I heard about that book but couldn’t say how I know about it. I get recommendations from daily emails from Book Gorilla, Book Bub,Amazon, Early Bird Books Fussy Librarian,Read it Forward,Book Riot. There are many more. I have read books after hearing the author on NPR. I haven’t had much luck with recommendations from book club members or friends. I don’t read books my sister recommends because she loves nonfiction family dramas & psychology books.

message 17: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1294 comments Brandy wrote: "After a few slow week 3 books this week which is good. I'm behind.

The Electric State by Simon Stålenhag was on NPR's best graphic novels of 2018 list that I've been going through this year. The Graphics are STUNNING and the story is stark. This one is going to stick with me and I'll check out more by this author...."

Wow his art looks beautiful and really cool! Just added to my TBR (very timely with the question of the week)

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 435 comments Fall won't hit us here for at least another month, if not longer (if we get fall at all and don't just jump straight to winter). Ah, Texas. I love it but I do wish we got more seasons.

I have done exactly no reading this past week. Which is awful and I still don't know how to start working reading back into my regular schedule. I don't like to read before bed because then I have a lot more trouble getting to bed on time! So...I don't know. I feel like I have so many demands on my time outside of work from friends that I just don't have time to sit and do things I enjoy. Or when I do, I'm so exhausted that I just watch an episode of Nailed It and go to bed.

Finished:
Nada

Currently Reading:
Under Wildwood

Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School

QOTW:
I get the majority of mine from browsing around on Goodreads. But my mum is a librarian, so she also sends me a lot of book recommendations. My best friend and I exchange a lot of recs, as well. I don't follow any book blogs or podcasts, simply because my TBR list is already over 700 books and I don't really feel like I need to keep adding to it haha!

message 19: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 810 comments My reading week was a little slow. This is mostly due to reading Middlemarch. Doesn't leave much time for anything else.

Finished:
Garnethill for debut novel. Really liked this one.
Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography for choose your own adventure.
My Lovely Wife I was not a fan.

Currently reading:
Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players for book about a game.
Middlemarch
An Irish Country Doctor on audio.
I have only 2 books to go for this challenge. One is Word Freak. I am just waiting for The Overstory to come in from the library for cli-fi.

QOTW:
Here, my mother-in-law, and a newly discovered mystery loving co-worker. She is the one that recommended Garnethill. Also, the co-worker that sits in front of me brings the weekly book reviews from the New York Times. We talk books a lot, but he only reads non-fiction. I always add the Reese Witherspoon books to my list, but I only like about half of them. Maybe I should stop listening to her.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 692 comments Nadine wrote: "Hahaha Snow Like Ashes has SUCH a pretty cover (I ALWAYS get sucked in by a pretty cover) and the book, well - that was a hate read for me."

I don't think I've ever hate read a book before this one. I could not believe such an awful book got all that promotion and praise. Yeah, I finished it simply to make sure I hated it as much as possible.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 159 comments Good Morning,

The wonderful weather of last week has now turned back into high 80s/low 90s and humid. It's supposed to be warm next week too, I just want the cool weather back.

Finished:

The Right Swipe - not for the challenge but just because I saw it at the library and have seen so many people talking about it. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. It's well written but I just didn't like the two main characters and didn't really care if they got together or not. I found most of the side characters far more interesting and wanted to know more about them. Book two in the series is going to be about one of the side characters, Katrina, and I liked her in the book so I'll probably give book 2 a read when it comes out.

Currently Reading:

To All the Boys I've Loved Before for a book with LOVE in the title. I've had this book on my iPad for awhile and have been meaning to read it. I've seen the movie, so I know what to expect. I'm really enjoying it so far. I will say, I do like movie Kitty far more than book Kitty.

The Power for a book about someone with a superpower. This wasn't my original pick for this prompt but the I needed a different audiobook and it was available from my library/Overdrive. It's so interesting to far. I heard so much about it when it first came out but didn't get around to reading it.

The Time Traveler's Wife for a book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads. I'll be starting this today during my lunch at work. It's been on my TBR for awhile and I've heard the book is far better than the movie, so I'm excited to dig in.

DNF:

The Clockmaker's Daughter - I was going to be reading this for the amateur detective prompt but I just couldn't get into it. It's a book I own, so I'll give it another try at some point but I think I'll leave it on my TBR shelf for awhile longer and change what I was going to read for this one.

QOTW:

I listen to a number of book podcasts (All the Books, Get Booked, Read or Dead, Overdue, The Worst Best Sellers, When in Romance) and get a lot of recommendations from them. I guess you could say I also get recommendations from Book of the Month. For the most part, the books on there I haven't seen. I also follow a few book instagramers and get a few recs from there as well. There's also Reddit (52Book Challenge subreddit and the books subreddit). There's so many great resources out there to pull from.

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Brittany wrote: "It's funny, but I saw you were reading this book and I had only just learned about it the day before on the WSIRN podcast. I wondered if that was how you heard of it too. The timing was just too perfect."

I don't usually jump on things that fast, but I had TWO audible credits waiting to be used. I needed something engaging to listen to, and Kwame's book fit the bill!

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Samantha wrote: "Warcross - I listened to this for prompt #45 - a LitRPG book. I was so not looking forward to this prompt, and this ended up being one of my favorite books I've read for the challenge. I liked it so much that I actually started listening to Wildcard as soon as I finished this one."

Same thing happened to me last year! I still haven't read Wildcard, but it's on my list for that same prompt.

message 24: by Khristina (new)

Khristina (readingreckless) | 19 comments Anne wrote: "Happy Thursday! 49/50

Completed:
The Egyptian Antiquities Murder by Sara Rosett is a 1920s set British house murder. It’s charming! Olive Bellgrave is assisting a friend in reopeni..."

I love the Under Suspicion series!

message 25: by Khristina (new)

Khristina (readingreckless) | 19 comments Good morning!

I haven't updated here in a hot minute and I know why. I checked and I have not read a book for the popsugar challenge in like a month. I only have two prompts left and I just can’t get myself to read anything for them.

The musician prompt and a book someone is reading on TV.

I have tried to read a couple of musician memoirs and that isn’t going well and I don’t really watch TV at all.

So let’s just do a wrap up of what I’ve read:

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones - This is a story about a girl whose father is a bigamist. I gave it 3 stars. It was cool but I think I’m going to like Leaving Atlanta much better.

Leaving the Witness: Exiting a Religion and Finding a Life by Amber Scorah - This is a memoir about a woman who left the JW (Jehovah’s Witness). It was good, writing felt a bit choppy but very informative.

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center - I just finished this and I’m so excited about it.

Where do you go for book recommendations - favourite blogs, podcasts etc?

I usually watch Kate’s Book Date on Youtube. She and I have very similar tastes in books and she usually has great recommendations.

message 26: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments Good morning! It's still hot here in Oklahoma but now that temps are back in the low to mid 90s, I'm good with them staying there. I dislike fall and all of the sickness it brings with it.

I finished one book this week. I read Goldenhand for a book that has characters with superpowers. I guess technically, they're not superpowers because this world is full of magic. However, one character who did not have any special abilities in previous installments ended up with powers completely different from anyone else so I think it fits. I really enjoyed returning to the Old Kingdom in this fifth installment of the Abhorsen series. I really hope it continues in some way.

QOTW: I get most of my recommendations from this group. I don't think many of my GR friends are very active so I never get recommendations from them. I also follow Penguin Teen on Facebook and several authors and library pages on Twitter. I'm also still in graduate school and get lots of recommendations from my fellow future librarians.

message 27: by Drakeryn (last edited Sep 12, 2019 07:58AM) (new)

Drakeryn | 665 comments Happy Thursday, all. Two days ago it was 91 degrees out. This morning it's foggy and cool. Chicago weather never knows what it's doing.

Finished reading: (37/50)

The Gallows Black (takes place in a single day, published in 2019, superpowers) - A prequel/companion novella to Seven Blades in Black, featuring Sal and Liette's meet-cute, and a lot of explosions. Nothing says romance like rescuing your girlfriend-to-be from execution and then having to fight off a squad of Imperial mages and a bunch of enraged Revolutionaries with siege weaponry.

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (screen adaptation in 2019*, superpowers, two-word title) - I seem to be reading a lot of romcoms lately (surprisingly; it's not a genre I'm usually into). I remember this being a divisive book on here, so I'm going to break down my thoughts:
+ Crowley/Aziraphale: the best
+ Also good: Adam and his gang (and Dog, a good dog)
+ Loved the interp of the Four Horsemen, super creative
- Meh: the sideplots involving Anathema and the Witchfinder Army
- Some of the asides got to be a bit much (we already know you're clever, you don't have to constantly hit the reader over the head with it)

* technically it's a miniseries and not a movie but I've decided that's close enough for me. it's a book-to-screen adaptation, that's within the spirit of the prompt

QotW: Goodreads reviews!
Some of my favorite review bloggers: Elise, Cait, Emily May, karen
(Elise/Cait are YA focused, and where I get most of my YA recs; Emily May and karen are broader in scope. but I love all their writing styles)

Also my go-to reviewer for savage roasts is Khanh. She's not that active any more but she's got a big review catalog.

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Stacey wrote: "Happy Thursday Guys!

Fall is here for sure as well, the colours have started and most of this week has been around 15C/60F during the day and quite chilly at night..there was one night I even turn..."

I think it is everywhere except the US …… well everywhere I've been anyway. Favourite is the spelling to me too.

message 29: by Drakeryn (new)

Drakeryn | 665 comments Ellie wrote: "Pret's got a new soup menu."

ooh, is chili back? if so, that's my lunch today

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Oertel | 700 comments It really felt like it should be Friday today... oh well!

Somehow all of the books I finished this week were four-star reads for me.

This week I finished When the Emperor Was Divine which was very good, although the writing style was a bit more detached than I expected. I think that was intentional though, along with the Japanese characters having no names throughout the book, but the white neighbors/shopkeepers all did. It's devastating that the US is back where it was in the 1940s, locking up people labeled as enemies. :(

I listened to The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America and wow, this is such important information! Everyone in the US needs to read it.

I finished listening to Charged: Overzealous Prosecutors, the Quest for Mercy, and the Fight to Transform Criminal Justice in America, which was also very good.

I came across Girls Burn Brighter as available at the library. Tough stuff, but I enjoyed the two perspectives.

And I read Push after picking it up from a used books store. This was really difficult and heartbreaking. :(

I'm currently listening to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Feel Free: Essays, and I'm reading the print version of The Giant's House.

QOTW: Ugh, I don't think I could handle podcasts that add more books to my TBR lists. Between all of the recommendations I get on Goodreads (from other readers in this group and the ToB threads), to the weekly newsletters from my local bookstores, and the list of books/authors (300!) that will be at our upcoming book festival, I have more recommendations than I can handle. It's nice always having options to choose from depending on my reading moods though. :)

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Evening all.
Crazy busy as usual. Mostly been helping rewire the y10s solar cars so they actually go somewhere (let them try 1st) and doing 3 hour after school titration practice ready for the nationals on Saturday. Wish my kidlets luck. Today is R U OK day over here and it is lovely just wandering around school hearing the kids actually care about everyone. I had a group of y9/10 kids yell out "Oi Miss......We love you". Too cute.

Reading has slumped again and I doubt next week will pick up as it is even busier in the real world.
Only finished one:
The Kiss Quotient which I really didn't like at all. It just seemed totally fake and a bit of a vanilla 50 shades to be fair. So it got the same rating of 1 star. The writing wasn't quite as bad.

Currently reading a bunch of y12 Chemistry assignments on ocean acidification. and y12 psychology ones on a character from either The Walking Dead or The Cured (TV show and movie) of the students choice, deciding if the character has a healthy mind for the context.

QOTW:
Mostly from here (a couple of people have similar tastes to me so I nick ideas from them or because something sounds so silly it has to be read e.g. The Haunted Vagina)or just because it is an author I always enjoy.

message 32: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 289 comments Hello from Columbus! I knew that taste of autumn was just a tease,
We’re currently having 80-90 degree days and I just want 60-70 degree weather so bad, this is torture lol. I didn’t get a ton of reading done this week, just like last because I tackled such a large book.

Crime and Punishment this was for the Back to the Classics challenge I saw mentioned at the beginning of this year. I picked it for the translated classic prompt, I LOVE pre-soviet Russian literature, and Tolstoy is so charming to me. I liked this plenty, but not as much as Tolstoy. I don’t really have much else to say other than I appreciated the point of the novel and I enjoyed his writing.

What You Want To See for the MP challenge, a genre you don’t normally read (crime detective novel). I’ve seen Kristen Lepionka mentioned here before and it makes me so happy. She’s local and we have mutual friends. My biggest reading gripe is that I never find books that take place here, but the Roxane Weary series does! Not only do they take place in Columbus, but the city is practically a character in the books. But beyond that, her writing is addictive. I read her in less than a day because she builds tension so well and I need to know what happens. A+ detective series, absolutely recommend.

Friendship to the Max not for the challenge, just wanted to read the second volume. A very cute series that’s fun and visually pleasing. Wait actually this works for the MP challenge, a book under 150 pages.

I’ve read 113 books this year: 26/40; 5/10 for popaugar, 3/12 for back to the classics, 15/24 for bookriot, 10/37 for the Marisha Pessl challenge.

QOTW: a lot of my book recommendations come these weekly checks in and the posts for each challenge’s prompts.

message 33: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 389 comments I made it through two of the 500 + page tomes I have on my plate.

I read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads or should I say reread because I did read this one ages ago and I still really enjoy it.

For the prompt A retelling of a classic I read The Child Thief by Brom. It's a dark look at Peter Pan, very dark. I did like it though, a lot

I also read Joys R Us by Kim Fielding for the alphabet challenge, a Christmas short story

QOTW Honestly I don't look for them much. I find plenty of my own. Twitter is probably my main online source

message 34: by Kenya (last edited Sep 12, 2019 08:49AM) (new)

Kenya Starflight | 610 comments Khristina wrote: "Good morning!

I haven't updated here in a hot minute and I know why. I checked and I have not read a book for the popsugar challenge in like a month. I only have two prompts left and I just can’t ..."

You can always cheat on the musician prompt and read a children's book! I know LeAnn Rimes and Weird Al Yankovic have written kids' books, and I'm sure they're not the only musicians to do so.

message 35: by Trish (last edited Sep 12, 2019 09:15AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 154 comments Afternoon, all

Well, I'm feeling pretty chuffed. I've finally ticked off the last three "Advanced" Prompts, with Lucky Les for 42. Choose your own adventure, Warcross for 45. LitRPG and The Raven Tower, as the second of my books with the same name.

Lucky Les was a book from my childhood. Warcross was very good: I'd like to read the sequel, Wildcard, but I've read very mixed reviews of it - has anyone here read it?

Both the Emma Miles Raven Tower, and the Ann Leckie one were good fantasy. I prefered the Leckie one, but Miles' book has some pretty cool ideas, and probably deserves to be more than just an ebook.

I also managed one of the basic prompts: Academic Curveball, for 17. Set on a university or college campus.

I still have the last four basic prompts to finish, but I've already done better than I did last year.

Basic: 39/43
Advanced: 10/10

QotW: Where do you go for book recommendations - favourite blogs, podcasts etc?

Mainly friends' lists on GR or Amazon's "if you liked that, try this..." Sometimes, I even have friend recommend books to me in person. I don't really do blogs or podcasts.

message 36: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 159 comments Khristina wrote: "Good morning!

I haven't updated here in a hot minute and I know why. I checked and I have not read a book for the popsugar challenge in like a month. I only have two prompts left and I just can’t ..."

For the book by a musician I read Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin Manuel Miranda. It's short and sweet. Also if you want to do the audio version of it, it's like he's telling you how awesome you are. It really is lovely.

For the read on TV prompt you can check out The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. It's has every book listed that Rory read on Gilmore Girls. If I'm remembering correctly, there are over 300 books to choose from.

message 37: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 810 comments Kenya wrote: "Khristina wrote: "Good morning!

I haven't updated here in a hot minute and I know why. I checked and I have not read a book for the popsugar challenge in like a month. I only have two prompts left..."

That's a great idea. Paul McCartney just published a children's book: Hey Grandude!.

message 38: by Jai (new)

Jai | 119 comments Hey all. it's that time again. This week has gone by kinda fast. I have 2 books for the challenge waiting for me at my local library and I'm excited.

I finished Mockingjay for a book with one million ratings on Goodreads. I started out listening to this then switched back and forth between my physical copy. I read the first two books back to back but somehow didn't get to this one until now.
This was my review : The last installment of The Hunger Games trilogy left me reeling with sadness. I realized early on in the book that Katniss was this pawn. But then again I realized she was their only hope. She was just a girl who brought down this dystopian government. I think her spontaneous attitude lead to it. She did have people who worked to help take the Capitol down but ultimately she was the one they turned to. This series inspired me to love dystopian fiction and spurred on my reading of other great series."

I'm currently finishing up How Long 'til Black Future Month? and I started reading The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina: Separating the Myth from the Medicine I'm only 11% finished but I'm learning way more than I thought I'd learn with me being a doula and reading and study into reproduction but I was wrong. I'm so happy this book was written by a woman and a doctor no doubt.

QOTW
I get alot of my recommendations from Goodreads and from my IRl book club.

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 40 comments Hello, my reading week was ok. Was late to work this morning so that i could finish one book.

I read Circe. I'm using it for prompt #35, author with the same first and last initials. I'm normally not too into mythology, but the author did a good job narrating it and providing background on who was who, so it was able to hold my attention. I gave it 4 stars.

This brings me to 13/40 for the regular challenge, and 1/10 for the advanced. Slowly chipping away at prompts.

QOTW:
I have a long list of books I want to read, first and foremost, trying to get through all of Stephen King's books. Hasn't been easy since he's always coming out with new stuff. I also have my library holds, which generally come from this group on goodreads.

message 40: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 352 comments I am currently at 49/50

I am currently reading my last one for this challenge:
Ravnenes hvisken the third and final in the series.
and:
Playing for Keeps

This week I read:
Verden styrter: En Ravnenes hvisken-fortælling
I'm In No Mood For Love

QOTW:
I follow quite a few on instagram for book ideas other than that I use Goodreads and this group. Have you ever tried having someone where you have the complete opposite taste in books. So whenever this person hate a book I kinda ad it to my TBR list. It is so weird but it's the same every time the person HATE a book and I read it, I absolutely love it. Still find it amusing every time... So a reverse recommendation.

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Kenya wrote: "You can always cheat on the musician prompt and read a children's book! I know LeAnn Rimes and Weird Al Yankovic have written kids' books, and I'm sure they're not the only musicians to do so."

Julie Andrews has also written several children's books:

Mandy
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
The Very Fairy Princess
Plus her memoir: Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

message 42: by Pepper (new)

Pepper | 18 comments Finished this week:

The Titan's Curse (A book about someone with a superpower) and The Battle of the Labyrinth (A book revolving around a puzzle or game), both by Rick Riordan. All still very enjoyable and fast-paced. I'm going to rec them to my brother, who has dyslexia. I wish they'd been around when he was a kid!

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie - Rory Gilmore). Both because I feel like a Bad Reader for not having read this yet, and also because I loved The Martian Chronicles. This was a bit too stylised for me, tbh, and his depictions of women grated. I think I would have enjoyed it when I was a teenager, but now that fear of modern technology felt like one of those Baby Boomer cartoons, depicting Millennials as permanently teenaged, slouching, and headphone-wearing, trying to scroll up on paintings and with no idea what a "book" is. (◔_◔)

Circe by Madeline Miller (A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter). So, so good (and so different from Rick Riordan's Circe!).

QotW: Recommendations from friends is a well that shows no signs of drying up, tbh - I have some excellently bookish friends. :) I went through the posts for some of the prompts on this challenge, and where I'm still struggling, I appeal to my wider friend group on social media.

I tend to avoid more generic book recs (book blogs, podcasts, bestseller lists...), because I've been suckered into reading stuff like The Lovely Bones that way, and learned that my tastes DO NOT chime with a significant chunk of the book-buying public's. I tried GR's awards list last year, in genres that I like, but it was very hit and miss for me.

And sometimes I just pick up pretty covers in the library.

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan . The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan . Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury . Circe by Madeline Miller

message 43: by Tania (new)

Tania | 463 comments Hello. I did not finish any books this week. I am reading a few, but time has been limited.

QOTW: Mostly I get my recommendations here, on Amazon, or on my Library's Libby home page.

message 44: by Ali (new)

Ali (aliciaclare) | 153 comments Hello! This week has been really long and irritating in different ways, so I'm looking forward to finally getting to the weekend. I didn't read much, 2 novellas and 3 short stories that I had on my kindle and wanted to knock out, none of which count for the challenge. I just accidentally took the week off from reading!

QOTW: Ever since I've discovered booktube, I've had a bunch of recs from there, a large majority being YA. I also get some on twitter since I follow a ton of different authors. otherwise, I guess goodreads? I don't get a lot in person recs? I talk books with my friends but most of my friends don't read as much as me.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura | 148 comments Ha! I forgot it was Thursday... But I'm going to try to hurry through this check-in because I just got a message from the library that The Institute is waiting for me!

Challenge Progress: 44/50

Completed:
Before We Were Yours: It was fine if you like melodrama and overly floral prose. It was just so overdone and cloying. What did I like? It's inspired me to learn more about Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Children's Home Society. I'm looking to reading a non-fiction take on the subject: The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann, the Baby Seller Who Corrupted Adoption. ★★★

The Huntress: Okay, WWII fiction is usually not my thing. Over-romanticized, cliche... But this one? This was really, really good. Kate Quinn writes great female characters; Nina Markova was especially intriguing. And I loved the interweaving of the lake witch (Rusalka/Selkie) mythology throughout the story. ★★★★

Fix Her Up: I almost went with three stars here, but then despite its romantic ending I just couldn't. A big part of the story is about Georgie trying to be taken seriously as an adult. So why would she relish being called "baby girl" by her boyfriend? Also, for a couple who are trying to show that he's a changed man - responsible and family-friendly - there's an awful lot of public sex going on here. The back of a limo and a baseball dugout? Sheesh. ★★

I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life: "For everyone who’s ever finished a book under the covers with a flashlight when they were supposed to be sleeping." Sweet collection about the love of books and reading. I completely identified with Anne's descriptions of the reading life. (A book about a hobby) ★★★★

Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies (a book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads), Bitter Greens (a book with a title that contains salty, sweet, bitter, or spicy in the title), Three Women, and Lab Girl (a book recommended by a celebrity you admire)

QOTW: I get most of my recommendations from Goodreads (especially from this group!), and I also get a daily email from Shelf Awareness that usually has some good suggestions. I also look at Entertainment Weekly, and NPR has great social justice and political recommendations. My husband laughs at me when I say, "So I was listening to the radio..." because he always knows exactly what station I was listening to.

message 46: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 3086 comments Mod
Stacey wrote: "Happy Thursday Guys!

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter for 11) A book with an item of clothing/accessory on the cover (although this could also work for amateur detective!) Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter ⭐️⭐️⭐️ - This book was well written and had a lot of surprises & twists along the way and it kept my attention. Most people would probably give it a higher rating than I would but Thrillers like this just aren't my cup of tea. I'm glad that I read it as I think it's always nice to branch out from your typical genres. Warning, it had a lot of vivid descriptions of some pretty unpleasant things..so if that's not your thing I'd steer clear.

I always assumed Slaughter would be uncomfortable for me to read. Thank you for comfirming.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 832 comments Hi everyone. I'm jealous of everyone who still has summer weather. It's been grey and windy here, with no sign of the sun whatsoever.

This week I finished Slayer. The main character and her twin sister were obnoxious and completely blind to the obvious answers right in front of them that I wanted to bang their heads together. The joy of being back in the Buffyverse was enough to get me to keep reading (the cameo from Faith made me smile!). I would probably read the next one, just to see if any more familiar characters show up lol

Currently reading: I got a great big stack of library books the other day and for some reason they all seem to have ghosts or vampires or murderers in them. Maybe it's Hallowe'en coming up? I've started with See What I Have Done

QOTW: Pretty much just on Goodreads. Not many of my "real life" friends are readers and those that are have very different tastes to me.

message 48: by Kendra (last edited Sep 12, 2019 01:45PM) (new)

Kendra | 256 comments Happy Thursday. It's been cold and rainy here all week which is kinda depressing, so I didn't end up getting as much read this week.

Books I Finished:

The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2) by Helen Hoang The Bride Test & The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1) by Helen Hoang The Kiss Quotient both by Helen Hoang - I read them out of order, which I normally never do but I'm glad I did, because while The Kiss Quotient was just a 'meh' for me, I loved The Bride Test, and I don't think I would have read it if I had read The Kiss Quotient first. I've always hated Pretty Women, and having the gender switch did not make the story better.

Books I Made Progress On:

River of Blue Fire (Otherland, #2) by Tad Williams River of Blue Fire by Tad Williams - I will finish this, I just need to stop picking up new library books.

QOTW

I don't really go out of my way for recs. I definitely have found a bunch of books because of Goodreads and this group, but it's still mostly a matter of I go to the store or library and browse until I find something that calls to me. That being said, my sister knows my taste pretty well, so when she says "You HAVE to read this" I read it.

message 49: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 400 comments Lynn wrote: "I always assumed Slaughter would be uncomfortable for me to read. Thank you for comfirming."

You're welcome! Sadly this is the only Slaughter I've read so I'm not sure if her other books have vivid descriptions like this or not? I've noticed that a few people in the group have read a couple of her books lately though, perhaps they can confirm/deny?

message 50: by Mary (new)

Mary Hann | 181 comments This week I finished:

The Perfect Roommate: Minka Kent is so hit-or-miss for me and this one was a big miss. I think she was going for a slow burn, but I was not into it. It was very poorly executed and could have been done so much better.

A Light in the Attic: I found this at a library book sale and it brought back childhood memories, so I’m read it for fun.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Continuing the audiobook tour of Harry Potter

On a Scale of One to Ten: I listened to the audio book version and the reader took a little bit to get used to,but then I started to enjoy it.

Currently reading:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Audiobooks are fun.

The Lost Hero: I am not enjoying this one as much as I enjoyed Percy Jackson.

Columbine: This one is like a punch right in the feelings. It has had me crying actual flowing tears more than once and I'm only half way through. I'm taking my time with it, because I don't think I could stomach it otherwise.

Question of the Week

This week’s question is from Serendipity: Where do you go for book recommendations - favourite blogs, podcasts etc?

I accept book recommendations from any and all sources. I'm a member of a Facebook group of people with mostly great taste, and my best friend reads more than I do probably.

« previous 1 3