Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Tip for UK authors

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter (pdinuk) | 77 comments I'm not sure quite where to put this, so I hope the moderators/guardians of the universe will accept it here.
There may not be a US equivalent, but for any UK author who has published at least one book I would recommend the Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society. I think it’s worthwhile for all authors. I went to a lunchtime seminar a few years ago in Cambridge, where the speaker said ‘If you take nothing else away from today, go and join the ALCS’.
Essentially, they collect royalties from those who copy from published works (books, articles etc), and distribute to authors. Life membership of £36 is deducted from the first year’s payment, so it’s a ‘no-brainer’. I think there’s a basic minimum distribution that does not depend on how many books/articles you register, so it has produced £100+ a year for me for several years. It doesn't keep the wolf from the door, but every bit helps. Presumably, more prolific authors get more.
Google knows where to find it, but if members would like to know more, just send me a direct message. I am thinking of standing for the ALCS Board, which I think needs more presence of independent author-publishers.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 528 comments Peter, thank you so much. I've noted this to be checked out next year! I'm overloaded at the moment but this seems so important so I will get to it when there is space in my brain/life.

Thanks once again.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter (pdinuk) | 77 comments No problem, Anna.
You might want to carve out 20 precious minutes to register the ISBN of even just one of your books, so that you don't miss the annual distribution for another year. I know there's no such thing as a free lunch, but in this case there really is no downside.
Peter