What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Slight Fantasy Fiction Mystery Female Protagonist, small superpowers.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harrison (new)

Harrison | 3 comments Alright, I will apologize in advance for the vague details. I haven't seen or thought about this book for over 10 years.

I don't remember the author or title. It was a black and red paperback book. Shorter, maybe a little under 300 pages. I read the book between 2007 and 2010. It has to be from around that time because based on my searches it wasn't a terribly popular book. I found it just sitting close to the front of barnes and nobles. So it had to be fairly recent.

PLOT POINTS: Female protagonist. Slight superpowers? She could heal faster by meditating. She could move very quickly for short amounts of time.

Plot moments I remember:
Someone breaks into her apartment in the middle of the night and creeps over her.
She might have been an assassin. I remember her going to a meeting of some sort (maybe a meeting of assassins) because they all had to go through a metal detector to make sure they had no weapons. A lot of them ended up having plastic weapons (throwing knives or shurikens maybe). A fight ultimately breaks out.
There were some sexually explicit parts, I specifically remember 2. The man who broke into her apartment rubbed her nipple through her shirt. The book really went into detail.
The second, she had sex on the hood of her car with the main guy from the plot. I think they mention something about their imprints on the hood afterwords.

SPOILER ALERT:
I remember the ending because it was a cliffhanger. Since the beginning of the book, the main character has a trap set up at her front door. Only she is fast enough to get through it due to her slight superpowers. Any normal person trying to get through without her to deactivate the trap will get seriously injured or die.
So, at the end, she is wondering home when she finds her door slightly open. Inside she expects a dead body or something gruesome. Instead she finds the main guy character she has been following around sitting, expecting her inside her apartment. (Alluding to him having the same powers as her)

I remember eagerly awaiting the sequel and eventually seeing it in book stores. It was the same art style as the first book cover, but it was blue and black instead.
I was unable to get it at the time and slowly forgot about it.
I don't know what has sparked the memory back, but I just recently remembered it.
Any and all help is much appreciated!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Harrison ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 95 from two months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 3: by Harrison (new)

Harrison | 3 comments bump

message 4: by Kris (last edited Jan 06, 2020 09:15AM) (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Harrison, can you tell us more about the heroine - e.g., her age, how she earns a living (assassin + something else?), employer/client/targets, family/friends, romantic interest?

Any other fantasy elements/creatures?

What is the story's time period and location (country/region/city or fantasy world)?

message 5: by Harrison (new)

Harrison | 3 comments Kris wrote: "Harrison, can you tell us more about the heroine - e.g., her age, how she earns a living (assassin + something else?), employer/client/targets, family/friends, romantic interest?

Any other fantasy..."

Modern time. There was a saucy scene on a car. Not a fantasy world, it was our normal world, she was just abnormal. Only a select few knew about her powers.
Pretty sure it was set in America (I want to say Chicago, but don't quote me on that).
Other than her abilities, I don't think there were any other fantasy elements. No crazy creatures or magic.
The only other characters I can remember slightly were the guy who broke into the apartment, and the main guy she was involved with most throughout the book.