Play Book Tag discussion

September 2019: Cultural > Whispers Beyond the Veil: 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Whispers Beyond the Veil (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #1) by Jessica Estevao

Whispers Beyond the Veil, Jessica Estevao

★ ★

Cultural: Spiritualist Movement of the 1800's

Ah what can I say, this was a weak first novel, but showed promise.

Ruby grew up on the road as a "confidence" worker... Her father sold snake-oil at fairs & side shows, her mother died giving birth to her.

Ruby makes a bit extra for herself reading Tarot. Her father spends all their money alcohol and on foolish schemes, like the newest machine "The Invigorator" which leaves a young man dead.

Ruby's father turns against her, claiming she murdered the young man by turning on the machine... and so Ruby gets on a train, crosses into the u.s. runs off to Maine where her Aunt (who has been waiting for her return) runs a hotel for Spiritualists.

At the hotel are two nasty blackmailers (one of which is blackmailing Ruby), who both get themselves killed. The local policeman's father was killed years ago and he is secretly investigating his death.

The Police Chief & his brother-in-law are into shady dealings....

Ruby is a weak character and I really had no empathy for her. For someone her father insisted be educated & literate, she wasn't very bright... she's wishy-washy.

As this is a genre I like, which is why I'll try the 2nd book, but I've little hope.....

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3227 comments If these last 2 reviews are any indication, you are having a rough reading patch :(

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Meli wrote: "If these last 2 reviews are any indication, you are having a rough reading patch :("

I never know..... In fact I actually put down 2-3 books in between and one was the very last Andrea Camilleri!