Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Nominations & Polls > October 2019 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 637 comments Mod
Categories open for nomination for October 2019 are:

Love and Sci-Fi & Fantasy

to help with choosing nominations, I have updated the threads containing the full list of books in each of these categories, showing which books have already been read - hopefully these are useful:

Love List

Sci-Fi & Fantasy List

so let's have those suggestions...

message 2: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 231 comments I was going to nominate By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept, but this seems hard to obtain, so I will pick a 'classic,' so to speak:

Valley of the Dolls

SF and Fantasy, I nominate:

The Stars My Destination

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Camp Concentration by Thomas M. Disch (It's got to win eventually)

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee | 22 comments Love
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Sci-fi & Fantasy
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments I second Renee for the "Handmaid's Tale", I just started "the Testaments" so it is good timing. ". "the Valley of the Dolls" seems a good counterpoint. I would quite like to read it again after 30-odd years. I wonder how it fared?

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 427 comments I'm not feeling inspired for suggestions this month, so I shall vote on what others nominate. Intrigued by Jude the Obscure - it's the only major Hardy work I've never read.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Phil wrote: "I'm not feeling inspired for suggestions this month, so I shall vote on what others nominate. Intrigued by Jude the Obscure - it's the only major Hardy work I've never read."

I also am not making any suggestions this time around.

Phil, I quite liked "Jude the Obscure" (which is not always certain for me in a Hardy book!). The one Hardy book from the list I haven't read yet is "The Woodlanders"...

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 637 comments Mod
ok so that's 4 great nominations in each category for our group reads in October:

Love:
Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann (1966) 442 pages
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje (1992) 320
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (1989) 255 pages
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (1895) 310 pages

Sci-Fi & Fantasy:
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (1955) 258 pages
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (1886) 144 pages
Camp Concentration by Thomas M. Disch (1967) 184 pages
The Handmaid's Tale by by Margaret Atwood (1985) 344 pages

Polls will go up v.soon...

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 427 comments Good selections. This month's going to be a tough choice.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 427 comments The SF vote is extremely close!

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Phil wrote: "The SF vote is extremely close!"

It's interesting that the book I hesitated to vote for because it was lowest in the voting (even though it was the one I wanted to pick as I already own a copy) is now at the top! I'm glad that I didn't change my mind to vote for my second choice now :)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I have read both the front runners, so I will gladly change my vote from one of the also-rans and sell it to the highest bidder.