Play Book Tag discussion

Replay
This topic is about Replay
Archive: Other Books > Replay by Ken Grimwood -- 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Replay by Ken Grimwood
3.5 stars (round down to 3)

The inaugural read for my fantasy/sci-fi book club at my new place of employment was entertaining, though not a literary triumph.

The premise is straight-forward: Jeff has a heart attack in 1988 at 43 years old. He dies, but wakes up in 1963 as an 18 year old college freshman. He has all of the memories of his former life, but is living everything again. He lives for 25 years, dies, and wakes up again at 18 years old. It seems he is destined to replay his life over and over.

The author explores what, I think, most people would do in those situations. You make a ton of money through gambling and investments, avoid problems you had before, choose different lovers/partners that you regretted letting go, and eventually feel like you should do something more meaningful for the common good.

Interesting concept that perhaps was a new idea when this book was written in the mid-80s, but so many authors have done it since. And have done it better. 11.22.63 by Stephen King comes instantly to mind.

So, if you want a quick engaging read, then go for it. But, I wouldn't recommend this to a ton of people.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2182 comments You are right, when it came out not many people had done anything like this and I loved it. I can understand that others have done it since and done it quite well. I wonder what he would have done had he been able to continue writing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Replay (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ken Grimwood (other topics)