Books2Movies Club discussion

Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
This topic is about Ross Poldark
Books to TV Shows > Poldark

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nancy L Owens | 16 comments No time to do all the links right now but i love the book series by Winston Graham and have watched the 1970's several times. On facebook i am in a Poldark fans group (sometimes mostly pictures of Aidan Turner. But 11SEP2019 there was this link to a QUIZ: Which Poldark character are you most like?
https://quiz.tryinteract.com/?fbclid=...

message 2: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2804 comments Mod
Nancy L Owens wrote: "No time to do all the links right now but i love the book series by Winston Graham and have watched the 1970's several times. On facebook i am in a Poldark fans group (sometimes mostly pictures of ..."

Thank you Nancy for opening this thread!

I watched only the first season (the new show, with Aidan), but somehow couldn't find time to watch the others. I can't believe there's already a fifth season. I bought the first book too. One day I hope to read it and that it'll compel me to read the others.

Which do you prefer, the 1970s or this new show? Is that old one available to watch anyhow? Have you read all books? Would you recommend to read them first (since I've watched only the first season, kind of hope that it would be better so :)

message 3: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2804 comments Mod
BTW I came up as Demelza in the quiz ;)

message 4: by Lorena (new) - added it

Lorena (delhilainthecabin) | 153 comments Ohh I liked the new series but somewhere around season 3 I dropped out. It believe that it was the sum of Poldark's actions against Demelza and some of his reactions in general. Like i expected more from him, based on his character on the first season and when he did something that for me was unforgivable against Demelza (don't want to spoil it for you) well.. It infuriated me so that I just stopped, I do have the rest of the seasons lined up to watch it sooner or later. :P Maybe I should give the book a chance!

Nancy L Owens | 16 comments About Poldark. I have never watched the new series. After seeing the first season of the original version on Masterpiece Theatre (about 1977) i read & enjoyed the 1st 7 books (all avail at that time). Lent them to my mother who also enjoyed the series & the books.
A few years later i had an unmarried partner(Thomas) who liked to read. He read the 7 books and i re-read them. And some years later Graham added 3 books to the series, which Thomas & i both read.
Thomas had never seen the series so as soon as we saw it in a video catalog we got it (VHS). I only recently learned of the 11th book. I have Acorn TV on my cable system & one of the choices avail is the original series. Have seen the DVD in a catalog but no info on bonus features.
Winston Graham wrote other books also. The most famous is "Marnie" which was made into a movie. He published a picture book/travel/memoir "Poldark's Cornwall" which i owned but my copy is MIA.
Robin Ellis, Ross Poldark, in the original series has a book "Making Poldark" which i have on my to read shelf AND Ellis has a blog.