Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1)
This topic is about Crocodile on the Sandbank
Archive - Group Reads > Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters - October 2019

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Sep 16, 2019 09:07PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, your discussion leader is CMT Moderators

Please note: No Spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters

Summary

Set in 1884, this is the first installment in what has become a beloved bestselling series. At thirty-two, strong-willed Amelia Peabody, a self-proclaimed spinster, decides to use her ample inheritance to indulge her passion, Egyptology. On her way to Egypt, Amelia encounters a young woman named Evelyn Barton-Forbes. The two become fast friends and travel on together, encountering mysteries, missing mummies, and Radcliffe Emerson, a dashing and opinionated archaeologist who doesn't need a woman's help -- or so he thinks.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1425 comments Mod
Beginning (view spoiler)

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) When I nominated this book as a cozy for this group, I wasn't actually sure whether it fits in the Cozy category. It's set in Egypt for the most part rather than a typical English village or a small town in the U.S.A. What does everyone else think? Is it a Cozy or maybe it fits in some other category better?

message 4: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments I read these books years ago, and I was surprised when I first saw them classed as cozies. But on reflection, I suppose that’s one appropriate category. True, they don’t have as confined a scope as traditional cozies, and the settings are definitely not quaint villages. They could certainly be “historical”, but on balance the humor and romance may make a stronger argument for cozy. They are definitely fun and addictive!

I read that it's classified as a historical mystery novel but to me it has a lot of cozie qualities.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) To define a book as a cozy can be difficult. Lots of people categise Agatha Christie books has cozy I do not. Do you think we should have a separate category for a cozy mystery?

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Amelia Peabody received a large inheritance and decided to travel the world looking for adventure. Would you do the same as Amelia and use the money on travel or something else?

message 8: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments Jenny wrote: "Amelia Peabody received a large inheritance and decided to travel the world looking for adventure. Would you do the same as Amelia and use the money on travel or something else?"

Hmmm.... If I were suddenly "independently wealthy" I would definitely travel more than I do now, but I'm not sure I would go looking for adventure. And I'd like to think I'd give a hefty chunk to supporting social causes that are important to me. And maybe hire a full time cook.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Barbara wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Amelia Peabody received a large inheritance and decided to travel the world looking for adventure. Would you do the same as Amelia and use the money on travel or something else?"

Hmm..."

Barbara, you would not want to go an jump on a camel and galloping through the desert with the man of your dreams?

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) If I became independently wealthy, I would buy a rural retreat where I could provide sentry to abused animals.

message 11: by Jenny (last edited Sep 30, 2019 06:02PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) How would you reacted if someone said to you as Mr Fletcher said to Amelia "Why do you wear such frightful clothes?' he burst out. "If it is to discourage suitors...".

message 12: by Jamie, Moderator (last edited Oct 01, 2019 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 151 comments Mod
I love this series! I always pictured Rebecca Hall as Amelia.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Jamie wrote: "I love this series! I always pictured Rebecca Hall as Amelia.

"

Jamie, what makes this series stand out for you?

If I were suddenly wealthy I wouldn't travel a lot. I'd pick a place and visit for several weeks maybe even months at a time but not travel from place to place.

Jenny wrote: "To define a book as a cozy can be difficult. Lots of people categise Agatha Christie books has cozy I do not. Do you think we should have a separate category for a cozy mystery?"

Are you asking if we should continue to have a Cozy Corner? Yes.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Sheri wrote: "Jenny wrote: "To define a book as a cozy can be difficult. Lots of people categise Agatha Christie books has cozy I do not. Do you think we should have a separate category for a cozy mystery?"

Are..."

We are keeping Cozy Corner, Sheri.

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I am noticing that people are having trouble working out what are cozies mysteries. Should we have a separate genre called cozies?

Jenny wrote: "I am noticing that people are having trouble working out what are cozies mysteries. Should we have a separate genre called cozies?"

I would like that.

Jamie wrote: "I love this series! I always pictured Rebecca Hall as Amelia.

"

I tried to love this but for some reason just can't. I've been listening rather than reading so maybe that's the reason. I've been thinking the characters are sort of stunted (if that makes sense) so maybe it's the way the narrator is telling the story. I'll read the next one.

message 20: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Oct 07, 2019 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I found this tiny tidbit

Amelia Peabody is based on a real person. She's very much inspired by the Victorian novelist and Egyptologist Amelia B. Edwards (1831-1892), who wrote a book of her travels in Egypt called "A Thousand Miles Up to Nile" which became a massive bestseller. Many details of the story are taken directly from "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" - eg both the real and fictional Amelias (Ameliae?) travel in a Dahabeeya called the "Philae"; both are given the nickname "the lady doctor" by the locals to be strictly accurate, in the real Amelia's case it was her companion who was given the nickname and much more.

Maureen | 194 comments Sheri wrote:
I tried to love this but for some reason just can't. I've been listening rather than reading so maybe that's the reason..."

Sorry, you're finding it hard going Sheri. I'm doing a re-read of this book. I know what you mean about the characters being somehow "stunted", I think that they are caricatures to some extent. But, I love the tongue-in-cheek humour and the main character Amelia who is so forthright, adventurous and plain-speaking for a woman of the Victorian/Edwardian period.

I don't think this is the best book in the series, as it is setting the scene for later events in later books. From memory, the later books have more mysteries and an archenemy and more family members (view spoiler)

Maureen wrote: "Sheri wrote:
I tried to love this but for some reason just can't. I've been listening rather than reading so maybe that's the reason..."

Sorry, you're finding it hard going Sheri. I'm doing a re-..."

From the beginning I did like Amelia's matter of fact attitude. I read some good reviews and have rethought my take on it. I had given it 2 stars but think I'll change it to 3. A bit more than "it's ok."

message 23: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 151 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I love this series! I always pictured Rebecca Hall as Amelia.

"

Jamie, what makes this series stand out for you?"

The mix of egyptology and strong female lead character!

message 24: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1172 comments I was going to read this but once I start a series I like to read them all and I've got 4 on the go.

Linda wrote: "I was going to read this but once I start a series I like to read them all and I've got 4 on the go."

4 series or 4 books going?