What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Mary Frances Cook Book: Adventures Among the Kitchen People
This topic is about The Mary Frances Cook Book
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA storybook/cookbook about a girl talking to kitchen utensils. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 2 comments This was a book I read when I was around 10 or so - it belonged to my grandmother (I'm 60 - just to give you a timeline) and it was about a young girl who was left alone in her house and the story takes place in the kitchen (I think her name was Gloria and if I remember, it was because her mother was ill, and she wanted to make something nice for her mom) - and it's all about her adventures and conversations in the kitchen with animated kitchen utensils etc - they help her learn to cook and there are recipes in the book. It was hardcover and the drawings were sort of line drawings with some color. Thanks in advance for your help

message 2: by Mai (last edited Sep 11, 2019 10:31AM) (new)

Mai | 1255 comments I found a similar request in another forum and thankfully somebody had the right answer!
http://loganberrybooks.com/solved-m.html

Description by the poster: The book belonged to my mother, who was born in 1926 in Los Angeles. The story is of a little girl whose mother becomes ill; the kitchen utensils come to life and teach her to cook. A hobo comes to the house, and the little girl gives him a dish of bread and milk - the book has that recipe, as well as others for children. The drawings are black and white.

The book turned out to be: The Mary Frances Cook Book: Adventures Among the Kitchen People by Jane Eayre Fryer (published in 1912).
"The first Mary Frances book. Mary Frances spends 3 magical weeks in fairyland with the Kitchen People (humanized kitchen utensils) including Aunty Rolling Pin and others. By the end of the book, the young reader can cook a variety of dishes. Illustrated by JANE ALLEN BOYER with color frontis plus a profusion of color and line illustrations throughout the text by Margaret Hays."

Do you think this is your book too? I know the girl's name doesn't match but the plot does!

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth | 2 comments YES!!!!! This is the book - thanks so much Mai for the information! I remember now that my mom kept the book because her middle name was also Frances :)

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1255 comments I'm glad this is it! I hope you can find a copy and enjoy it again :-)