Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Kingdom
This topic is about The Kingdom
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > The Kingdom by Jess Rothenberg → Start date: September 14th, 2019

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sanne ♔ (last edited Sep 12, 2019 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments Hey! Join Carina and me as we read the Kingdom by Jess Rothenberg :)

Long Live Wonderland can't wait to get started!

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments me neither! the beauty (with the uk cover) is patiently waiting :D

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments alright so i just started it! i'm really excited to find out what this story is about :D

Long Live Wonderland I've read the first 16 pages and I'm kinda confused so far, but I'm intrigued!

Long Live Wonderland I'm on page 30 rn, I'm gonna try reading until page 50 today. how much have you read?

message 7: by Sanne ♔ (last edited Sep 15, 2019 01:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments okay i'm trying to reach the same! i'm at page 35 right now. i'm still trying to figure out what ana her role is? for now it sounds like (view spoiler).

Long Live Wonderland so I read to page 62 and yeah same. I'm kinda confused about the roles the girls play. I think I'm mostly confused because I don't understand the world at all

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments yeah same! it's all very confusing. i feel like i'm visiting some sort of disneyland but without knowing what the outside world feels like.

Long Live Wonderland I'm also not a fan of how often we move between the past and present time. but I do like that most of the chapters are fairly short. I'm a sucker for short chapters! lol

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments i love short chapters too! but i'm around page 100 right now (i got to do a lot of reading last weekend) and i'm still so confused! i still don't know what ana is supposed to do? doesn't she have her own show or something?

Long Live Wonderland I've made it to page 147. you're right tho, I'm just confused about her roles. also I'm really not feeling the supposed "romance" at all

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments nah i'm neither. i love suspense and mysteries, but right now we have literally nothing to feel suspicious about, because except for (view spoiler) nothing. is. happening.

i hope to reach page 200 tonight (i'm from europe) :D

what do you think of it so far? i'm not sure what to think of the writing style. i like it, but at the same time i'm not able to connect with the mc. it's all very 'i'm doing this and i'm doing that' and not much of 'i'm feeling this and thus i'm doing that'. it's like reading a manual

Long Live Wonderland I'm not really feling the book yet. I feel like I've read so much of the book and nothing has happened and I'm just kinda lost as to what I'm supposed to be feeling

Long Live Wonderland also when Owen was talking to Ana aboit the butterflies and how they are gonna die in a week. I looked it up and butterflies only libe for 2 to 6 weeks so like whats the big deal. a week is already like half their expected life span.

Long Live Wonderland haven't read at all today. hope you had a better reading day then I did lol

message 17: by Sanne ♔ (last edited Sep 19, 2019 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments hey! yeah i actually got to do some reading... a bit.

the romance is a bit weird, i agree. ana doesn't have a personality (in my opinion) and the two have only seen each other a couple of times and already they they're attracted towards each other... while not truly knowing each other. i thought we were done with the insta-love but i guess not haha.

i'm usually not triggered while reading heavy content, but the implicit mentions of (view spoiler) are slightly getting to me. i'm at chapter 39 now and something tells me it will only get worse.

lol i never knew that (about the butterflies)! indeed; what's the big deal. but there are other mentions of hybrids, such as the ice bear, the tiger and the fox. i must say that i'm (finally) starting to 'feel' the book. it only took about 200 pages but oh well. i would like to know if the hybrids are able to feel emotions.

Long Live Wonderland personally I still don't really get the book at all. nothing really makes sense. i get that the author is trying to make it be all suspenseful and stuff but nothing is connecting in the way I feel it should. and Owen's character is so stupid to me and the writing style is definitely lacking

Long Live Wonderland I also feel like both Owen and Ana are trying to excuse Nia for trying to drown that little girl, but ummm that will never be okay

Long Live Wonderland so.... I accidentally finished the book hahahahaha it was... an experiance

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments omg already?? haha i'll try to finish the book this weekend. i've been really busy with school, unfortunately. does it get slightly better? do we get more information? do we figure out what t f is going on?

Long Live Wonderland ok let me know how you feel about it as you go. Unfortunately it doesn't get much better. when I hit page 200 that would have made the whole book better but we got something else instead

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments okay i finished as well! the ending was wow. slightly unexpected. i mean somehow i knew owen (view spoiler) but dang... that ending was something else.

i rated this book 3 stars. it could have been way better. i wanted to read more about the kingdom, about the rushed relationship between ana and owen, about the hybrids. it was okay and fascinating, but nothing special.

and yes. nia was the tormented soul, wishing to escape. i do not want to know the horrors she went through, but it's never okay to (try to) kill an innocent for that. what was nia thinking? we never get to know her reasoning for that. she could have drowned by herself as well, right? just as eve tried to kill herself by throwing herself in front of a train.

Long Live Wonderland I also rated it 3 stars. the idea for the plot had so much potential, but it just wasn't executed well. I honestly kinda of wish that Ana really had killed Owen and the whole book was her trying to get away with murder lol is that just me?

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments oooh that sounds really good! seeing as she did kill someone... she could do that twice, right? that would have been one heck of a plot twist

Long Live Wonderland lol I thought that would have been better than the story we got. do you have a favorite scene?

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments hmm i'm not sure. i thought the ending was amazing. with how the kingdom was trying to make duplicates (you know what i mean) of the princesses, and how ana killed dr. foster. THIS was the mystery/suspense i was looking for.

what's your favourite scene?

Long Live Wonderland umm i think the scene that held my attention the most was when Nia tried to drown the little girl

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments hmm that one was great too!

are you interested in reading another book together?

Long Live Wonderland sure! I just put in the buddy reads section that i wanted to read six of crows. are you interested? or we could look for something else :)

Long Live Wonderland sure! I just put in the buddy reads section that i wanted to read six of crows. are you interested? or we could look for something else :)

Long Live Wonderland lol I don't know why that posted 3 times hahahahaha

Long Live Wonderland lol I don't know why that posted 3 times hahahahaha

Long Live Wonderland okay obviously I'm having technical difficulties hahahahaha

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments hahaha omg I'm so sorry!

yeah sure! I tried soc ones, a couple of years ago, but i couldn't get into it. maybe now I will!

Long Live Wonderland cool when do you wanna start? I'm booked until the weekend

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments Saturday fine by you?

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments We can also start on another date if you'd like?

Long Live Wonderland we can start monday of that's good with you

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) | 47 comments yeah that's cool!

here's the new topic:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...