Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > The Sixth Wicked Child by J.D. Barker (Spoilers Permitted) - October 2019

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Sep 10, 2019 11:24PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Sixth Wicked Child by J.D. Barker, your discussion leader is Danielle.

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
The Sixth Wicked Child (4MK Thriller, #3) by J.D. Barker The Sixth Wicked Child (4MK Thriller, #3) by J.D. Barker

Summary

In the riveting conclusion of the 4MK trilogy, Barker takes the thriller to an entirely new level. Don't miss a single word of the series James Patterson called "ingenious."

Hear No Evil

For Detective Sam Porter, the words “Father, forgive me” conjure memories long forgotten; a past intentionally buried. For Anson Bishop, these three words connect a childhood to the present as he unleashes a truth concealed for decades.

See No Evil

Found written on cardboard near each body, these words link multiple victims to a single killer—discovered within minutes of each other in both Chicago and South Carolina—clearly connected yet separated by impossible miles.

Speak No Evil

Chicago Metro and the FBI find themselves caught in chaos—a hospital on lockdown, a rogue officer, and corruption at the highest levels. When Anson Bishop, the prime suspect in the notorious 4MK serial murders turns himself in, he reveals a story completely unexpected, one that not only upends the current investigation, but one that will change the lives of all involved.

Do No Evil

With unrelenting tension and pulse-pounding suspense, the past unravels at breakneck speed as the truth behind the Four Monkey Killer’s motive is finally revealed in this masterfully crafted finale.

message 2: by Dena (new)

Dena (bookworm_365) | 3 comments Hi Jenny and Danielle!! I hope you loved this book as much as I did. I would like to discuss the ending of this book. I know the title of the discussion said *Spoilers Permitted* and so I am going to give any readers a second chance to note that my following question WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS. So that being said... if you don't want to be spoiled please stop reading now. Thank you.
On to my question. At the end of the book, do you think it was absolutely/positively Sam who shot Bishop? At first it seemed obvious. Of course it was Sam who shot Bishop. But there was an element of doubt in the back of my mind because Bishop is SO 'crafty', and because the author doesn't exactly put in black and white who was shot.

This is why I question it:
Bishop asked Sam who else knew he was there. Did he just want to be sure that his group of friends would be safe if Sam gave his word? Or was he asking because if no one knew Sam was there, no one would know where to look for him (Sam) if he "disappeared"?

Also, once Sam confirms that no one else knew he was there, it states "Bishop forced his breathing to slow, forced his body to remain calm, as Father had taught him." So I questioned: as Father had taught him to do when? Before he killed someone? Or just to remain calm? Was he resigning himself to the fact that this was the end for him? Or was he formulating a plan of attack?

I've re-read the ending several times and I do honestly believe that it was Bishop who got shot. Sam's finger was on the trigger. Plus thinking about the title of the book, Bishop could be the Sixth Wicked Child. But honestly I can see it going either way. I was hoping to get some insight as to what others thought?

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Dena wrote: "Hi Jenny and Danielle!! I hope you loved this book as much as I did. I would like to discuss the ending of this book. I know the title of the discussion said *Spoilers Permitted* and so I am going ..."

Dena - good question. I finished reading this book, and I have as many questions as you with the ending. Putting a spin in the discussion could Sam recorded his conversation with Bishop then ensured he get murdered so that Double jeopardy will not be applied if Bishop is caught again.

Sam, is a broken man and he has nothing to live for - no job or wife.

message 4: by Dena (new)

Dena (bookworm_365) | 3 comments Jenny wrote: "Dena wrote: "Hi Jenny and Danielle!! I hope you loved this book as much as I did. I would like to discuss the ending of this book. I know the title of the discussion said *Spoilers Permitted* and s..."

Hmmm. I've never thought about it this way. I'll have to think about it some more. Of course there is always be the possibility that no one died. Maybe there was a struggle and the gun went off? Or someone else walked into the bathroom and shot one of them?

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Dena wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Dena wrote: "Hi Jenny and Danielle!! I hope you loved this book as much as I did. I would like to discuss the ending of this book. I know the title of the discussion said *Spoilers Pe..."

Wow, Dena. You have put spinner in the works. Could there be a book four in this series? With the way, J. D.Barker ended this book.

May 2019 Pittsburgh, PA

message 6: by Dena (new)

Dena (bookworm_365) | 3 comments Jenny wrote: "Dena wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Dena wrote: "Hi Jenny and Danielle!! I hope you loved this book as much as I did. I would like to discuss the ending of this book. I know the title of the discussion said..."

Haha, I tend to over think these things!! From what I know this is only a Trilogy. But I guess will have to wait and see. I haven't heard what he is working on next. But whatever it is I will buy it in a heartbeat. He is an excellent writer / storyteller!