Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Brisbane Aussie Readers' Gathering - Sat 26th Oct 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 15, 2019 11:42PM) (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments We are getting together on Saturday, October 26th, at a venue yet to be decided, but it will be somewhere in the CBD/South Bank area.

If you are interested, please put your names down in this thread, and I will advise you by private message with details of the venue once the numbers are confirmed. Please DON'T mention any questions about location details here in the thread for security reasons - you can private message me with questions.

If you want to post titles of books that you would like to find a new home for, you can do that in this thread to see if anyone wants to take them off your hands on that day.

Date - Saturday, 26 Oct 2019
Time - 11.00am for coffee followed by lunch
Location - CBD/South Brisbane/South Bank
RSVP - 19th October 2019

The Mystery Book Swap is always fun, so we'll do it again.

Mystery Book Swap

1. Bring along one book to the venue to give away – any genre, preferably a new book or a book in excellent condition.

2. Wrap the book in whatever paper you have at home.

3. Place a tag on the wrapping with the description of the genre.

4. Each participant's name will be placed in a hat, and when your name is drawn, you can select a mystery book from the pile.

And feel free to bring along any books that you no longer want to keep to "swap". You are very welcome to ask other people for books even if you don't have any to actually swap - most of us just want to clear our shelves so there's room to buy more books! If you want to list books here to see if anyone's interested so you don't have to lug them all in, you're very welcome to do that as well!

Definites
Kathryn
Kerri
Kylie
Alda
Lynne
Jane
Deborah

Maybes

Lists of books to give away:
Kerri
Kylie
Kathryn
Alda

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments I might be a bit late this time because my son's cricket will have started up again by then, but I'll be there.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Lynne wrote: "I might be a bit late this time because my son's cricket will have started up again by then, but I'll be there."

No dramas, Lynne!

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Sep 11, 2019 02:54AM) (new)

Brenda | 68416 comments Mod
You should perhaps change the date (first line) in your original post Kathryn. You've also got July's definites still there :)

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Brenda wrote: "You should perhaps change the date (first line) in your original post Kathryn. You've also got July's definites still there :)"

Thanks, Brenda - can you tell I did a copy and paste?!! But I thought I'd changed them all!

message 6: by Alda (new)

Alda Saldan (bioarla) | 35 comments Hi, thanks again Kathryn for organizing this meeting, I'll be there! :)
I'll send later on a list of books that I can swap on the day.

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Brenda wrote: "You should perhaps change the date (first line) in your original post Kathryn. You've also got July's definites still there :)"

Thanks, Brenda - can you tell I did a copy and paste?..."

Haha! Yes I could.. and it's easy to do :)

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Alda wrote: "Hi, thanks again Kathryn for organizing this meeting, I'll be there! :)
I'll send later on a list of books that I can swap on the day."

Great, Alda!! Not sure if I'll have many books to give away, myself - I haven't read many of my own books since July!! Which means I'd better not take any more home...!

message 9: by M (new)

M - The long hot spell (thelonghotspell) | 71 comments I would love to but I won't know until closer to time.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments the long hot spell wrote: "I would love to but I won't know until closer to time."

That's fine - you can let me know the week before, if you like. Shall I put you down as a maybe?

message 11: by M (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:23PM) (new)

M - The long hot spell (thelonghotspell) | 71 comments That would be good, if you don't mind. I'll put it in my diary to let you know the week prior. Thanks.

message 12: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Yes, I’ll be there, thanks Kathryn. My book list will be posted soon 😁

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments I am definitely in :)

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Kylie wrote: "Yes, I’ll be there, thanks Kathryn. My book list will be posted soon 😁"
Deborah wrote: "I am definitely in :)"

Hooray, Kylie and Deborah!!

message 15: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments I'll be there and I will have the following books available for anyone who'd like them.
The Wave
Women, Men and the Whole Damn Thing
Papillon

I'll add more as I go

message 16: by Kylie (last edited Oct 25, 2019 03:53AM) (new)

message 17: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments Kylie, I'd like Going Under please

message 18: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Kerri wrote: "Kylie, I'd like Going Under please"

All yours Kerri :)

message 19: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) | 1483 comments Deborah wrote: "I am definitely in :)"

Deborah, October 26th!!
I will probably be able to make the next one.

@Kathryn can you please let me know when you think the next one will be, if you arrange it for prior to May 2020 might be able to attend one of these great sessions :)

message 20: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Ace wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I am definitely in :)"

Deborah, October 26th!!
I will probably be able to make the next one.

@Kathryn can you please let me know when you think the next one will be, if you arran..."

I'll make sure we'll have one next year before May and we'll hope you can come, Ace!!! Someone message me if I seem to have forgotten about organising anything by Mar/April!

But you're not in for this one at the end of October?

message 21: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) | 1483 comments Kathryn wrote: "
But you're not in for this one at the end of October?.."

No, unfortunately not, we will only be arriving into Brisbane about mid November!
Thanks Kathryn.

message 22: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 19, 2019 12:07AM) (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments OK, I haven't been very productive in reading my own books since we last met!

But some of these are still sitting there from last time! So I do have these to give away to a good home if anyone wants them:
Where the Dead Go by Sarah Bailey
The True Story of Maddie Bright by Mary-Rose MacColl
The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do
Brother Fish by Bryce Courtenay
Flight Risk by Michael McGuire
The Nancys by R.W.R. Mcdonald (like one of Kerri's books last time, I personally think this is better suited as kindling, but to each their own!)
The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere

And there's still 2 weeks before we meet, so I may get through some more in that time... Or not!

message 23: by Sally906 (last edited Oct 14, 2019 03:24AM) (new)

Sally906 I hope to make one eventually - is a 2-3 hour drive for me so would have to really organise myself as no train from Toowoomba and I am not confident to drive in myself, so would have to sweet talk hubby to drive me in to Brisbane, then stash him somewhere while I catch up - this time (end of October) we will be in NSW for that date

message 24: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 14, 2019 04:45AM) (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Sally906 wrote: "I hope to make one eventually - is a 2-3 hour drive for me so would have to really organise myself as no train from Toowoomba and I am not confident to drive in myself, so would have to sweet talk ..."

That's OK, Sally - we'd love to meet you sometime! There is a coach to and from Brisbane - or there was about 7 years ago(!) - an overseas friend of mine caught one up there when I was doing placement there and she was on vacation, but it would probably be a longer round trip than in a car!! It's about 2 hours driving one way between my place and Toowoomba, and I'm on the north side, so probably closer to 1.5 - 1.75 hours to get into the city...

message 25: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 The fact it is a Saturday meetup is good - can sweet talk hubby into coming in for the weekend - I know there are a few places he wants to visit so we can come down and sleep over in the city.

Will see how it pans out for whenever your next one is :)

message 26: by Alda (new)

Alda Saldan (bioarla) | 35 comments Sorry for the great delay, here is the list of the book that I can swap:

The Farm by Joanne Ramos
The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
The Alienist by Caleb Carr

message 27: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments I ampretty behind too... Cleaning out my 'spare room/library' today, I have a few to givaway.
The Reef by Di Morrissey Sophie Dog Overboard by Emma Pearse Six Minutes by Petronella McGovern The Breeding Season by Amanda Niehaus Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse by Paul Carter The Brethren by John Grisham Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of2) by Robert Silverberg Trip of a Lifetime The by Monica McInerney Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do

message 28: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Sally906 wrote: "I hope to make one eventually - is a 2-3 hour drive for me so would have to really organise myself as no train from Toowoomba and I am not confident to drive in myself, so would have to sweet talk ..."

No train from Toowoomba? That is odd, two friends of mine moved there recently, and they said there was one...

message 29: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments It's only a week away until we get together again to talk about all sorts of bookish things!! Hooray!

I've messaged everyone who has said they'll be coming next Saturday with location details. If you didn't get my message, message me.

If anyone happens to stumble on this thread and would like to come, it's not too late. Just comment here, or message me, and I'll be in touch.

message 30: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments And I've just updated my list to include The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Kylie wrote: "Starting my book list, I'll probably add more

Imight grab this one off you also Kylie, it looks intriguing The First Time Lauren Pailing Died

message 32: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Deborah wrote: "Kylie wrote: "Starting my book list, I'll probably add more

Imight grab this one off you also Kylie, it looks intriguing The First Time Lauren Pailing Died"

No problem Deborah :)

message 33: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments I've just added Snake Island and The Model Wife to my list :)

message 34: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments If no-one else wants Snake Island I might give it a go. How gritty is it Kylie? not sure I could stomach it but it's getting good reviews.
I don't know why I'm putting my hand up for more, I haven't read the last lot I brought home yet!

message 35: by Kylie (last edited Oct 21, 2019 02:13AM) (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments It is gritty, but not over the top Kerri. If you don't like it I wont be offended :)
I must confess I haven't read any of mine yet either...

message 36: by Alda (new)

Alda Saldan (bioarla) | 35 comments Hi Deborah, if no one has requested them and it's not too late to ask, I'd like Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse and Into the Wild

message 37: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments good choice Alda! they are both good books and I'll put them aside for you :)

message 38: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments I will be there tomorrow but I will probably be a little bit late (likely after twelve).

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Lynne wrote: "I will be there tomorrow but I will probably be a little bit late (likely after twelve)."

Not a problem, Lynne!

message 40: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Kylie, I know it's getting a bit late, but if you see this, I'll break my pact not to ask for more books - can I have Tricia Stringer's The Model Wife, please?

If you see this too late, not a drama!

message 41: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 57 comments Hi Kathryn, is it too late for me to tag along if I can make it tomorrow?

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments I’ll send you a message, Allan!

message 43: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 57 comments Thanks Kathryn, see you all there :) Oh, and Deborah, I'd love the copy of Legends if it is still up for grabs...

message 44: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Kathryn wrote: "Kylie, I know it's getting a bit late, but if you see this, I'll break my pact not to ask for more books - can I have Tricia Stringer's The Model Wife, please?

If you see this too late, not a drama!"

All yours Kathryn :)

message 45: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 57 comments Besides a mystery book to swap, I'll be bringing a copy of The Magician's Apprentice by Aussie author Trudi Canavan if anyone wants it.

message 46: by Alda (new)

Alda Saldan (bioarla) | 35 comments Deborah wrote: "good choice Alda! they are both good books and I'll put them aside for you :)"

Thanks Deborah :)

See you all tomorrow! :)

message 47: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments We had a great catch-up today - no photos, sorry, Brenda!! I thought of it once before Lynne was there, but didn't think of it again after that!

I came away with The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter (my surprise book, thanks to Jane!) and I broke my pact not to ask for any books and got Kylie to bring me The Model Wife by Tricia Stringer - but one book isn't too bad... I will make an effort to prioritise the books I came away with the last time before our next catch-up!!

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Lovely Kathryn - never mind; next time!! The two books you got I really enjoyed so I hope you do too :)

message 49: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments I thought of photos on the way home, never mind. It was a lovely catch up as always.
I received The Forgotten Letters of Esther Durrant by Kayte Nunn as my mystery book, thanks Kathryn. Also received Going Under by Sonia Henry and Snake Island by Ben Hobson from Kylie.

message 50: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I really enjoyed The Forgotten Letters of Esther Durrant too Kerri!! Good job on your pick ups as well!

« previous 1