Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's August 2019 Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Sep 10, 2019 07:24PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments 5 for the month, all pretty good!

D-Day Girls The Spies Who Armed the Resistance, Sabotaged the Nazis, and Helped Win World War II by Sarah Rose D-Day Girls: The Spies Who Armed the Resistance, Sabotaged the Nazis, and Helped Win World War II by Sarah Rose: I wasn't crazy about the way this one was written, but the subject matter was great! Grade: 8

Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand: Had never read this author before, so glad this one caught my eye on Amazon. She gets the time period right, though she was a bit off with some of the stuff about Jessie. I was 13 the summer of '69 and Jessie didn't read like any of the kids I knew that summer. Anyway, it was a really good book! Grade: 9

November Road by Lou Berney November Road by Lou Berney: a great story set with the Kennedy assassination as a catalyst. Some of the most well drawn characters I've come across in some time. Thank again, Jan!! Grade: 9.5

Vox by Christina Dalcher Vox by Christina Dalcher: mixed feelings about this one. It's been compared to The Handmaid's Tale, and I can see why, but it didn't really strike me that way. Some really annoying characters, but the premise of this one really does seem like something that could happen with the state of politics, etc in this country right now. Grade: 6.5

On the Come Up by Angie Thomas On the Come Up by Angie Thomas: this gal can WRITE!!! I liked The Hate U Give a bit more, but this was still one gripping read. Grade: 9.5

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Wow, Melodie! You had a stellar month! I loved On the Come Up and November Road too. On the Come Up really stuck with me long after reading it, it was stellar on audio.
I hope to get to Summer of '69 soon, glad to hear you liked it. I'll be coming at it with the same age perspective. :)

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Looking at your first three books I was getting worried you were regressing in time.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments LOL Dan: The last two would disabuse you of that idea!

Dan in AZ wrote: "Looking at your first three books I was getting worried you were regressing in time."