Play Book Tag discussion

September 2019: Cultural > Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (last edited Sep 10, 2019 05:19PM) (new)

Shelly | 512 comments Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
I am so glad I read this book. It is a wonderful balance of stories that are funny and heartbreaking. It is an inspiring story of a boy being raised to be a good man by his fierce single mom. Add into the mix the place and the time--South Africa as apartheid is unraveling. The book forced me to think about the aftermath of apartheid, when young black men had limited opportunities to escape poverty. And then there is Trevor being born a crime--when it was illegal to birth a mixed race child. Trevor struggled to belong--black? white? colored? Culturally, he identified as black, but in a place where everything is determined by the color of your skin, is just wasn't that simple.
This fit the cultural tag so well- so many cultural themes woven into his story- feminism, racism, domestic violence, poverty.
Why 4 stars and not 5? I think I would have given this book 5 stars if I had done the audiobook. I am sure that his reading of the book would have added a great deal of emotion and made it feel much more South African. But still a wonderful reading experience.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Good review.

The audiobook was great because Trevor Noah read it. He is also a comedian and has good comedic delivery.

A great book I hope becomes required reading in school.

message 3: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1283 comments Jason wrote: "Good review.

The audiobook was great because Trevor Noah read it. He is also a comedian and has good comedic delivery.

A great book I hope becomes required reading in school."

My son read it for his English class last year (11th grade).

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 418 comments Jason wrote: "Good review.

A great book I hope becomes required reading in school."

It is being required in some south African schools I know of.

message 5: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 675 comments Just finished the audiobook yesterday, my review will be posted soon, and it was 4 stars for me as well. It is a great read and happy that the TBR challenge pushed it up my list.