Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Student reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 173 comments If you are doing a mock Newbery with students this fall, I am curious about which titles you will have them read. What grade students will be in your discussion groups?

message 2: by Czechgirl (last edited Sep 10, 2019 04:43PM) (new)

Czechgirl | 214 comments Our class will have read these books before Newbery: All of Me by Chris Baron, Riverland by Fran Wilde and Leo Gray and the Lunar Eclipse by K.J. Kruk. I chose these titles because they cover the themes are 6th grade classes are studying, which are Challenges Growing Up; Using Imagination; and Technology and Society—all are eligible for the 2020 Newbery award

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz Erb | 1 comments I’d LOVE to do it with my 5th graders this year. Curious to see what titles you suggest!

message 4: by Shella (new)

Shella | 158 comments Where do you get the funding for the books?

message 5: by Czechgirl (new)

Czechgirl | 214 comments I’ve changed my mind. We are already reading All of Me by Chris Baron for Challenges and Triumphs theme, but I decided to read The Miraculous by Jess Redman for the Imagination theme and read Eventown by Corey Ann Haydu for Technology and Society theme. I still need to choose one more for the exploration theme.

message 6: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Sorrell (jothebookgirl) | 251 comments Song for a whale might work for exploration

message 7: by Czechgirl (new)

Czechgirl | 214 comments Good choice!

message 8: by Shella (new)

Shella | 158 comments I have not read Peak- not sure if that would work for you-also are you only wanting fiction books?

message 9: by Czechgirl (new)

Czechgirl | 214 comments I’m not limiting myself to just fiction books, but it was nonfiction, I would be more interested in a narrative nonfiction book.

message 10: by Shella (new)

Shella | 158 comments No summit out of sight has been on my to read list for a long time- not sure if it has the voice your looking for or not- Death on the River of Doubt is very interesting- if you have very advanced readers- Lost City of Z- wish there was a young reader’s edition of that one- Heart of a Samurai- he travels quite a bit. Hidden Figures.