Books & Boba discussion

Monthly Pick > Sept 2019: Everything Here Is Beautiful

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reera, Bookmaster (new)

Reera | 255 comments Mod
Hi, everyone. This is the thread for our Sept 2019 book club pick, Everything Here Is Beautiful by Mira T. Lee. As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts on the book.

Content warning: Chronic mental illness

message 2: by Ming (new)

Ming | 3 comments The book has a very East Coast (USA) Asian-American feel (hyphen intended; otherwise I would never use a hyphen in that term).

I also thought the Asian men in this book were so diminished and made virtually invisible. The treatment was glaring.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 3 comments Oh, I read this book last year so I don't remember details, but I do remember I was surprised by how much I liked it. The writing was great and I felt I connected with all the characters. Reading it was like being in your old childhood bed, smelling your old comforter and feeling a little bit sad, nostalgic, and happy at the same time.
Maybe it's b/c I'm an East Coast AA and have lived in the East Village.
The previous comment regarding AA males- I honestly don't remember any AA male characters in the book (b/c they were diminished?). But I just felt that the main characters were the struggling sister and her boyfriends, the latin guy and the Ukrainian guy. Or was he Israeli?