Challenge Corner discussion

Challenge Archives > 4th Team Quarterly - Jeopardy Signups!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 14903 comments Mod
Each of the team quarterly challenges have been based off of a game so far this year; so why not keep it going strong?! For the 4th team quarterly challenge I wanted to put our members to the test in Jeopardy!
Jeopardy is a TV game show where contestants are given general knowledge clues and must answer in the form of a question. (Ex. The clue would be “The author of a famous book series, A Song of Fire and Ice”. The answer would then be “Who is George RR Martin?”)

This challenge is going to be a little different than the previous team quarterly challenges. In previous challenges we’ve had team members read for specific tasks. That is not going to be the case for this challenge. Members will post books using the first letter of ANY word in the title, the author initials, or the first letter of the series title to spell out the answer.

Teams will be given a game board with four columns and four boxes in each column. There will be titles as to what will be in the four boxes in each column (just like in the tv show). Each of the four boxes will be worth a random amount of points (between 25 - 100). You will not know how many points the box is worth until completion of the clue. One box on the whole board will be the double jeopardy box. That box will be worth a whopping 200 points.

Teams will have to decide as a group which column and box they want to start in. This must be discussed before the first day of the challenge as you must have something to work towards on the first day of the challenge. After finishing that clue box, you as a team will let me know which box you want to move to.
For example:
Team one starts at column one, top box. I will then post in the review thread the following:
The clue is:
“The first book in a YA sci-fi fantasy retelling”
The answer is:
_ _ _ _ _ _ by _ _ _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _
Before posting any books to start spelling out the answer, a team member (preferably the captain, see below) will post what they think the answer to the clue is and I will either confirm or deny. This is so it makes things a little easier and you aren’t reading for letters that are incorrect. When writing the answer you will write it in the form of a question, just like in Jeopardy. So for the above clue you’d say “What is Cinder by Marissa Meyer?” I will confirm and you will start spelling out the answer.

There will be a line (|) separating words in the title and a line separating the authors first and last name to make things a little easier.

Answers to the clues will always be the first book in a series, unless it is a series title. There will never be an answer that will be for a book that is 2nd position or later in the series. Answers will also always be a book/series title and an author name. Unless it is the author clue column. In that case you will only be posting the book/series title.

Members will post books using the first letter of ANY word in the title, the author initials, or the first letter of the series title to spell out the answer.

So for the above clue, a team member might read Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. This team member could use the I in Ignite for the I in Cinder or for the I in Marissa. If both of your i’s were already read for you could use the M in Mafi (or in Me) for the M in Marissa or the M in Meyer. If both the i’s and the m’s were already read for you could use the S in Shatter (in the series title) for either of the S’s in Marissa.

One book per letter. If you were to read an M book for the above answer it would work for ONE (1) of the m’s. NOT both.

So essentially the entirety of this challenge is you and your team members matching letters from either the first letter of any of the title words, the author initials, or the first letter of the series title. You will match these letters to the letters of your clue answers. AKA if you read a book that doesn’t fit your current clue then you can “bank” your book for the next clue box.

A team spreadsheet will be provided but does not need to be used by the teams. However, it makes keeping track of books read much easier.

General rules can be found here.

Scores will be updated on weekdays only. If you finish a clue on a weekend, you can still read and 'bank' books for the next clue you'll get on Monday.

Alternate editions accepted for letters. NOT for pages.

If you have any questions regarding the rules to the challenge, you can ask them here.

When signing up, please let me know how many books you plan to read per month.

Example:
October - 5 books
November - 7 books
December - 3 books

I also ask that after teams are made, if you could please designate ONE (1) person to be your team captain. They will speak for the team as a whole instead of waiting to let everyone give their opinion. The team captain will be able to make the final decision for the whole team.

When signing up please remember about the holidays. Everyone has stuff that comes up but we like to keep the teams in CC the closest they can be to be fair to everyone. So remember the holidays and take them into account when saying how many books you’ll read for this challenge.

Aly was a seriously big help in creating this challenge. So if I am not on (which will probably be weekends and evenings) you could ask her any question about this challenge, and she should be able to answer it for you.

message 2: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Sep 19, 2019 06:39AM) (new)

Participants
Aly - 40 books pm
Emeli -
Nigel - 3 books pm
Crystal - 12 books pm
Sierra - 5 books pm
Book - ~8 books pm
Jammin' Jenny - 15 books pm
Damselflies - 6, 6, 3
Mayra - 15 books pm
OjoAusana - 22 books pm
Vicki - 15, 20, 15
Jenn - 10 books pm
Jennifer 25, 25, 20
Kim - 4, 4, 3
Saige - 8, 9, 11
Celia - 3-5 books pm
Ritika - 8, 6, 11
Cristina - 3 books pm
Susan - 10-12 books pm
Rebecca - 6 books pm
JaqyLantern - 4 books pm
Kelli - 4 books pm
Caroline - 5-10 books pm
Erica - 10, 10, 20
Sierra - 5 books pm
Megan - 10 book pm
Betsy - 15 books pm
Ivana - 6 books pm
Tim - 5 books pm
Keri - 7 books pm
Diamond - 5, 6, 8

message 3: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

message 4: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

message 5: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 19689 comments Mod
:) Sign me up! LOL. I'm hoping to read 40 books each month

message 6: by Emeli (last edited Sep 12, 2019 06:59AM) (new)

Emeli Webb | 111 comments My favourite gameshow
Of course i want to play
I can do 4 books a month

message 7: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Emeli wrote: "My favourite gameshow
Of course i want to play
I can do 4 books"

Four books each month or 4 books total?

message 8: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Aly wrote: ":) Sign me up! LOL. I'm hoping to read 40 books each month"

Gotcha boo! :D

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 3320 comments Count me in I will guaranteed read at least 12 or more books each month!

message 10: by si ( ◠‿◠ ) (new)

si ( ◠‿◠ ) (buriedunderbooks) | 550 comments Sign me up! I can read 5 books a month, probably more but let’s play it safe since I’ll be working more hours this fall.....

message 11: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments I will read about 8 books a month?

message 12: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments Remember this will include Christmas, Thanksgiving etc! ^_^

message 13: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments Sign me up please

October - 15 books
November - 15 books
December - 15 books

message 14: by Damselflies (new)

Damselflies | 456 comments Sounds interesting :)

October - 6 books
November - 6 books
December - 3 books

message 15: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Got everyone! :D

message 16: by Mayra (new)

Mayra Biggs (mayrasissi) | 133 comments Sign me up

October: 15
November: 15
December: 15

message 17: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Mayra wrote: "Sign me up

November: 15
December: 15"

Gotcha! :D

message 18: by OjoAusana (new)

OjoAusana | 430 comments ill give it a try :D ill probably read at least 22 books a month (really November would be the only month I might read like 20 but I can make up for it)

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments I’m in! :)

November: 20
December: 15

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2203 comments I'm in. I'll say 10 books per month to be on the safe side

message 21: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new)

Jennifer | 3006 comments Mod
I’m in! I will probably read about 25 books a month, maybe slightly less in December (20).

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim | 1483 comments I’d like to get in on this!

October: 4
November: 3
December: 3

message 23: by Saige (new)

Saige (lannister807) | 1365 comments I'm in!

October- 8
November- 9
December- 11 or 12

message 24: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 1727 comments I want to join! I have a question about the books per month - how do you count books partially completed during the challenge? e.g. something I start now and finish in October? I have not been including them in my counts, because I know they won’t count for tasks (or in this case letters) for the team. But I noticed in the new column you added for the Clue challenge, I think you have been counting them? It makes a pretty big difference for my numbers because of how I read. So I just wanted to double check.

message 25: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2463 comments Hi! 3-5 books per month, please.

message 26: by Ritika (new)

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 736 comments Alright, I'm gonna go with 8 for October, 6 for November and 10 for December. Or somewhat like that. :)

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 469 comments I'm in.

10-12 books per month

Rebecca Always Reads | 176 comments Me please!

Aiming for 6 books per month :)

message 29: by JaqyLantern (new)

JaqyLantern | 40 comments Let's do it!
I'm looking to do 4 books a month (with holidays and drawing challenges, it's gonna be packed)

message 30: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Caroline wrote: "I want to join! I have a question about the books per month - how do you count books partially completed during the challenge? e.g. something I start now and finish in October? I have not been incl..."

I've been counting them as book because they still count as points even though they don't count for letters. I just really want to make sure people are reading at least what they say. Because it's not fair for someone to say they'll read 15 books a month and they only read five. Ya know?

message 31: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

message 32: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments After a little break I want back in! I’m going to play it safe and say 4 books per month :)

message 33: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Kelli wrote: "After a little break I want back in! I’m going to play it safe and say 4 books per month :)"

message 34: by Aarja (new)

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments Sign me up for 6 books a month!
Wait a minute, I have a doubt; when do we make the teams?

message 35: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 1727 comments Felicia wrote: "Caroline wrote: "I want to join! I have a question about the books per month - how do you count books partially completed during the challenge? e.g. something I start now and finish in October? I h..."

That makes sense, thanks! In that case, I’ll say 5-10 books per month.

message 36: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Aarja wrote: "Sign me up for 6 books a month!
Wait a minute, I have a doubt; when do we make the teams?"

Teams will be posted sometime later this month. Around the 23rd oe 24th maybe.

message 37: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Caroline wrote: "Felicia wrote: "Caroline wrote: "I want to join! I have a question about the books per month - how do you count books partially completed during the challenge? e.g. something I start now and finish..."

message 38: by Erica (new)

Erica Paré | 1802 comments Count me in. Should be in a groove at school by then so gonna go with
Oct: 10
Nov:10
Dec: 20

message 39: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Erica wrote: "Count me in. Should be in a groove at school by then so gonna go with
Oct: 10
Nov:10
Dec: 20"

message 40: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Lynn | 383 comments im in 5 per month

message 41: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Sierra wrote: "im in 5 per month"

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 652 comments I'm in. 10 books per month. :)

message 43: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 746 comments I'm in! Let's say maybe 15 books per month? (Will probably do more, but with Christmas and Thanksgiving vacations in there, don't want to over promise and under deliver.)

Ivana - Diary of Difference (diaryofdifference) I'm in. I might read more, but I will go for 6 books per month, to be safe :D

message 45: by Aarja (last edited Sep 13, 2019 03:56AM) (new)

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments Felicia wrote: "Aarja wrote: "Sign me up for 6 books a month!
Wait a minute, I have a doubt; when do we make the teams?"

Teams will be posted sometime later this month. Around the 23rd oe 24th maybe."

Got it!

message 46: by Tim (new)

Tim Mercer | 187 comments I will do 5 a month Felicity

message 47: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

message 48: by Keri (last edited Sep 14, 2019 07:26AM) (new)

Keri | 1838 comments I’m in!
I’ll say
Oct-7 books
Nov-7 books
Dec-7 books

This is higher than my normal estimate, but I’ve been reading more the past couple months so I made an average and we’ll see lol

message 49: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Keri wrote: "I’m in!
I’ll say
Oct-7 books
Nov-7 books
Dec-7 books

This is higher than my normal estimate, but I’ve been reading more the past couple months so I made an average and we’ll see lol"

Gotcha girl! :D

message 50: by Diamond (new)

Diamond | 84 comments I'm in lets do October-5
November-6
December-8
I probably will read more than that but lets play it safe

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ignite Me (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tahereh Mafi (other topics)