Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Mock Printz 2020 > September Selection: With the Fire on High

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bang Bang Books Do you think With the Fire on High is Printz worthy? Why or why not?

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (mhsquier) | 79 comments I loved this book, and rated it 5 stars. From my review:
"Acevedo's writing is excellent, with well developed characters and a plot line that draws readers in and keeps them interested. Absentee parents, the effects of gun violence, western "discovery" of the New World, and the treatment of indigenous people are all topics that Acevedo confronts, but in an organic way that fits in with the story. One warning though: do NOT read/listen to this book on an empty stomach. Acevedo displays a deep knowledge of food in her descriptions of Emoni's culinary creations. She includes recipes that fit with the story, and would keep even a casual foodie engaged."

Honestly, I liked this book even better than Poet X. On a side note, I bought multiple copies and am planning a book/cooking/food event. I would love to see this get a nod from the committee.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 54 comments I feel the opposite way. IMO, With the Fire on High is a much weaker novel. This read to me like a feel-good, inspirational story with no real conflict and easy HEA. Acevedo's prose is not as good as her verse.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana (cheekymonkey70) | 4 comments What is hea

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana (cheekymonkey70) | 4 comments Nvm got it

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 6 comments I felt the writing was not as good as Poet X, but the plot kept me more invested. I definitely want to spend more time in the kitchen!

I listened to the audiobook version, and to be honest, I don't care for Acevedo's narration. Her voice is great, but she emphasizes the wrong words and her reading is often awkward.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 1 comments I loved it, and I agree that Poet X was extra special. This book was poetic. I loved the characters, the recipes, the romance. Could win an honor, IMO.

message 8: by Maisie (new)

Maisie Iven | 5 comments Loved this book! Not sure if it quite lived up to the poet x, but I think there were some impossible standards coming into it, so I’m trying to not judge it too harshly!

message 9: by Jazmin (new)

Jazmin | 1 comments I adored this book! I am Puerto Rican myself and loved all the recipes that reminded me of home and having a love of food and cooking. 5 stars from me!

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments I liked this book a lot! I liked it better than Poet x, there were some really important messages about accepting self, taking responsibility for own self and for decisions, cultural identity, and the food. I am very high, if not on fire, for this book.

message 11: by Bang Bang Books (new)

Bang Bang Books The writing wasn't as strong as Poet X. I felt like the main character lacked a unique voice-the complained when the teacher corrected her and she grew at the end because she listened to his critiques. I've heard this voice and seen this growth several times. The themes were on the nose. I don't think this will get an honor.