Play Book Tag discussion

Beartown (Beartown, #1)
This topic is about Beartown
September 2019: Cultural > [Trim] Beartown by Fredrik Backman - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1468 comments Beartown by Fredrik Backman
4 stars

My review is not going to be near as comprehensive and extensive as some of the other amazing reviews that others have given.

For me this wasn't a 5 star book... I know it was for a lot of others. For me it wasn't 5 stars because there were a couple of places that it got bogged down. I get that he was trying to set the stage that hockey is life for the team but I feel in a couple of spots I started to get bored. It got too slow for me about 3/4 of the way through.

I was also frustrated with the resolution of the Benji/Benjamin story. I feel like either leave out a piece of it or resolve it fully. I personally don't like some of the decisions that were made around that one, like it started to get flushed out and then he realized the book was as long as it was, so he just wrapped it up quickly.

I will say that he does a great job getting you to connect with the different characters and the way the town treated Maya made me so mad that I almost put down the book. I'm glad that he shed some light on rape culture because it still happens so often today and I like that he made us think about it.

Aside from highlighting rape culture he also digs into other cultures including: sports, small towns, rural towns, Sweden and many more. I think it really fits the tag because he explores and brings to light so many cultures that exist in the world that some people may not be aware of.

Great book!! My first Backman and I'll definitely be reading more.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8185 comments Great review Charlotte!

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Charlotte wrote: "Beartown by Fredrik Backman
4 stars

My review is not going to be near as comprehensive and extensive as some of the other amazing reviews that others have given.
..."

Charlotte, wonderful review. If you have a problem with Benji's story, read Us Against You. It might help with some of the frustration.

A book I loved about rape culture/sports and is almost a real life version of Beartown is Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town. This book was very educational for me because other than a news report of an athlete being accused, I have never experienced rape in any form or fashion.

Backman also has a blog, where recently he has been posting in English and he posted a short story about depression and an essay on anxiety.
https://www.fredrikbackman.com/

message 4: by Karin (last edited Sep 10, 2019 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karin | 6888 comments This was a 4.5 star book for me, so I rounded it up.

Jason is correct-Us Against You really does answer a fair number of questions, particularly concerning Benji.

I've read everything Backman has out in English that is published in book form, and he varies from 3-5 stars for me. The only full 5 star book for me was My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. It is a totally different kettle of fish.

Shelly | 516 comments Great read for cultural! This was a 5 star book for me and likely to be in my top 10 for this year. I also loved A Man Called Ove. And now I must add Us Against You to the TBR.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments I really want to know more about Benji too. I have a feeling that in the long run, he'll be the bigger star. He has great leadership instincts and strong values. I liked the point where the author gives credit to the strong women in his life.

I might wait a while to read the sequel though, partly because I need a break from the conflict, and I have so many other books on deck.

Karin | 6888 comments NancyJ wrote: "I really want to know more about Benji too. I have a feeling that in the long run, he'll be the bigger star. He has great leadership instincts and strong values. I liked the point where the author ..."

You can be like those of us who read them as they came out and had to wait :). I hadn't even realized there was going to be a sequel.