Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Paranormal Fiction > Free paranormal novel for reviews

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (last edited Apr 20, 2020 03:17AM) (new)

Joanna Marta Pilatowicz | 8 comments Dear Readers, Author, and Bloggers,

I have free PDF, epub of my book. You can also download it here:
https://booksirens.com/book/Z75IJAR/3...

Anyone out there who would like a book and would be so kind as to share a review on Goodreads and if possible on Amazon?

I will appreciate your help,
Have an inspiring day,
Joanna

[author:Joanna M. PilatowiczThe Oracle II ~ Doubtful Rays of the SunThe Oracle II ~ Doubtful Rays of the Sun|47162452]

PS: I see I MUST edit this post immediately ;) as I am receiving lots of spam to my email about paid reviews. Please all companies and people who offer their review as paid service, save yourself an effort and don't send me emails!!!! Thank you! While I was considering paid reviews previously, after doing my research I have to decline that offer.
Authors and genuine readers are very welcome to contact me! If I can assist you, I will! ;)

message 2: by Mellie (last edited Sep 10, 2019 03:17PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 538 comments Joanna wrote: "I am also open to exchanging reviews."

Which besides being unethical, is a violation of Amazon (and Goodreads) TOS and can get your account banned.

Although looking at the suspicious accounts 5-starring your books, something being unethical/not allowed doesn't seem to bother you :/

message 3: by Jim (last edited Sep 10, 2019 07:22PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1036 comments Joanna wrote: "Dear Readers, Author, and Bloggers,

I have free PDF, epub of my book. You can also download it here:
https://booksirens.com/book/Z75IJAR/3...

Anyone out there who would like a book and woul..."

Joanna,

You may be unaware that a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulation requires any consumer review obtained through an offer of compensation such as a free book, gift card, cash, or reciprocation, must include a disclaimer describing the compensation received. Such reviews are often regarded by readers as biased or untruthful and, therefore, unreliable.

The vast majority of avid readers, for whatever reason, choose to never post a rating or review. Those few that do post them do so to share their personal, and therefore subjective, opinion with other readers, not the author.

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Marta Pilatowicz | 8 comments Jim and A.W., first of all, thank you for letting me know. I totally am not aware of any violation.

A.W. while I can edit the post and delete the idea of exchanging reviews, I don't know what is wrong with my offer Jim considering the rest. I see plenty of people asking here for reviews and eventually, I did that too, being advised that it is necessary.
Please let me know how can I ask for reviews without any violation. I try to follow Booksirens offer to get reviews. They provided the link.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.
Joanna

message 5: by Jim (last edited Sep 11, 2019 07:36AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1036 comments Joanna wrote: "Jim and A.W., first of all, thank you for letting me know. I totally am not aware of any violation.

A.W. while I can edit the post and delete the idea of exchanging reviews, I don't know what is ..."

Joanna,

Contrary to what some novice authors believe, consumer reviews do not drive sales; sales drive reviews.

Rather than obsessing over consumer reviews, an author's time would be more effectively spent focusing upon researching marketing, sales, and promotional processes and opportunities.

There are abundant resources available at little or no cost through public libraries, community colleges, lectures, seminars, and on-line that provide useful and proven guidance to anyone willing to expend the time, effort, and resources to learn, implement, and constantly improve their marketing, sales, and promotional skills.

Very few become commercially successful in this extremely competitive field; however, some do. There is no reason why you could not possibly become one of them. I wish you success.

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Marta Pilatowicz | 8 comments Thank you again, Jim, for sharing your thoughts with me. You have some good points. Indeed reviews don't generate sales. If I may add, the best way - at least for me - are seminars and author meetings. Everyone is different though and have different talents and skills in connecting with the audience. That, however, is a totally different topic. We are so far away from reviews now ;)
Have a great day and a lot of success, as you mentioned this is a challenging business!

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Morawski | 221 comments Lot's of people here on Goodreads throw around the 'scary' FTC 'rule' about reviews but no one ever specifically states the actual rule by name or number. So I'd like to know exactly where and what the FTC says about book reviews - because I searched the FTC web site and can't find anything remotely like what some of you are saying.

The closest is a FTC GUIDELINE regarding endorsements from celebrities and influencers- and I seriously challenge the notion that a review from a normal reader is an endorsement.

So please enlighten us.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Hamilton | 179 comments Ed wrote: "Lot's of people here on Goodreads throw around the 'scary' FTC 'rule' about reviews but no one ever specifically states the actual rule by name or number...."

This is like déjà vu all over again ...

It's not a 'scary' FTC 'rule,' but a coded statute: 15 U.S.C. §45. This means that you can possibly be prosecuted (and many are) under this law. Will you go to prison for giving someone a book to review? That's highly unlikely (although your account may be banned or blocked on some platforms for violation of the TOS). Their justification for requiring a disclosure, even if you simply give a book to someone in exchange for a review, is this:

"Knowing that reviewers got the product they reviewed for free would probably affect the weight your customers give to the reviews, even if you didn’t intend for that to happen. And even assuming the reviewers in your program are unbiased, your customers have the right to know which reviewers were given products for free. It’s also possible that the reviewers may wonder whether your company would stop sending them products if they wrote several negative reviews – despite your assurances that you only want their honest opinions – and that could affect their reviews. Also, reviewers given free products might give the products higher ratings on a scale like the number of stars than reviewers who bought the products. If that’s the case, consumers may be misled if they just look at inflated average ratings rather than reading individual reviews with disclosures. Therefore, if you give free products to reviewers you should disclose next to any average or other summary rating that it includes reviewers who were given free products."

Basically, any quid-pro-quo exchange for a review must be clearly disclosed in the review. Some media platforms may prohibit such reviews even if fully disclosed. All the FTC cares about is the disclosure to avoid any possible misleading endorsements.

[DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and, as a fiction writer, I am also prone to making things up]

message 9: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 538 comments Ed wrote: "Lot's of people here on Goodreads throw around the 'scary' FTC 'rule' about reviews but no one ever specifically states the actual rule by name or number."

Actually it's been discussed at length, including the relevant legislation You can see a recent discussion about it and how it impacts reviews, in this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Morawski | 221 comments Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to be prosecuted because they wrote a review about a book they got for free.

Instead of constantly bringing up the powerless FTC everyone would be better served if they specified Amazon prohibits it - that is a lot more potentially damaging than the FTC.

Of course I personally know several reviewers on Amazon who absolutely get paid in free products and never mention it. In fact some make quite a good living at it.

But as you say the law (rule) is the law so thank you for finally clearing it up.

message 11: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Marta Pilatowicz | 8 comments Dear Ed,

Thank you so much for your input and for reacting to this issue! I so much appreciate this! The more I read the more I have an impression we live in a "sick" world ... judged by the statement- law someone wrote.

message 12: by Joanna (last edited Apr 08, 2020 02:29AM) (new)

Joanna Marta Pilatowicz | 8 comments Thank you, Emily, for reaching out. I will write to you using the link you posted here.
PS: Would you consider book II as the first one as my first is published with a traditional publisher?
Book II is adjusted the way that is not necessary to read the book I

message 14: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Walch (jerrywalch) | 18 comments I see a lot of conversation here about what is lawful and what is not lawful when asking for a book review and I have a desire to include my two cents. Let me start by stating that I’m an active book reviewer who places his reviews here on Goodreads, Amazon and on several diverse sites. What the statute demands and what every site I review for calls for is that the REVIEWER apprises the reader in the review how he or she obtained the book. It’s the reviewer’s obligation, not the obligation of the person seeking the review. When I get the book free for the promise of a review, I open my review with this statement, which protects me, the review site and the author: I have received this copy of (insert book title) from (insert author’s name) as an ARC (Advanced Review Copy,) That satisfies Amazon book review guidelines and the guidelines of all the review sites I post on. You can inject the word “free” between the book title and the author’s name if you think it indispensable, but it isn’t. In the few situations where I was paid to review a book or series of books, I explained at the end of the review that this was a paid for review. I only charge to review nonfiction books in the fields in which I hold degrees.

I hope that you find this helpful. 

message 15: by Robb (new)

Robb Lightfoot (robblightfoot) | 1 comments Thank you, Jerry. This was VERY helpful. :) I'll keep you in mind when I get my next book out. I'll pitch you then.

message 16: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Walch (jerrywalch) | 18 comments Robb wrote: "Thank you, Jerry. This was VERY helpful. :) I'll keep you in mind when I get my next book out. I'll pitch you then."

OK, Robb. Stay safe and healthy.

message 17: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Marta Pilatowicz | 8 comments Jerry! Your 2 cents are TOTALLY helpful! Thank you!

It's been a while since I publish that post here. So much has changed but nothing much I see for authors ;)

Now, if any of you wish to share your 2 or more cents online on my youtube channel, I will be happy to invite you and interview you.
What I care for is to support those authors who struggle and have no idea how this business works. I see they are frustrated, losing health, time, money and so on ;). I was on that path and it is nothing nice! I was close to paying for it too and as you see on my bookshelves I don't have many reviews. I declined to invest money in it ;) But maybe I should. Who knows ...

Considering words od critic, I don't mind constructive words, corrections, etc. Thank you all of you who supported me here. I truly appreciate it!
Every entertaining business is HARD (I am also a dancer, teacher, abstract art painter so I have a few more comparisons.)
Why then make it harder if we can make it easier for all of us?

Cruise around my youtube and you will see I have quite a lot of interests in art, health, anything that helps us through life journey. Since I am not so often on other social media, typing and typing and typing ... ( Burnt out probably due to books writing and editing ;) ) I still love to share my "cents", so I am slowly switching to videos.

All of You here I am wishing healthy, serene Easter time! Stay well, inspired and I still do my best to read books! ;)

Ay! PS: my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JoannaPilat...
So who wants to tell me online more? ;)

message 18: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Walch (jerrywalch) | 18 comments Joanna wrote: "Jerry! Your 2 cents are TOTALLY helpful! Thank you!

It's been a while since I publish that post here. So much has changed but nothing much I see for authors ;)

Now, if any of you wish to share ..."

Good morning Joanna,
I had been a confirmed bookworm since the age of eight, but I hadn’t planned on becoming a writer. I had my entire life planned out by the age of nine; I would spend it designing and building things, not spend it teaching other people how to design and build things. Well, you know what John Steinbeck said about the best-laid plans of mice and men, they often go awry. Mine did at the ripe old age of 34 when a friend asked me to design and write a course on residential electrical wiring for an adult education course he was about to teach. I hated to write anything, but I said okay. He was so impressed that he showed it to the superintendent of the local school district asked me to do anew curriculum on basic electricity for the high school vocational shops. Somehow  someone affiliated with the electric/electronics industries got a look at it, and, as they say, the rest is history. A ghostwriter was born..  The thing that amazed me the most was that I realized that I loved what I was doing.
I was fortunate in that, unlike most writers, I never had to struggle to find clients for my work. I didn’t even have to market my business. I’ve been earning my living ghostwriting books and manuals for the electric/electronics industries for over forty years now and I have had some same clients for that entire time. Sure, the representatives changed with time, but the client companies remain the same.. .

Over the years, I’ve also written short stories under a dozen or more different pen names, but I wrote them more for my enjoyment than for the money they earned me.

As for my reviews, I get most of my ARCs from three sites where authors list their books to be reviewed. I review because I love discovering exceptional unknown authors and helping them become established as writers.

Have an outstanding day, Joanna. Keep writing and stay well! 

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryhagen14yahoocom) | 8 comments Dear Joanna,
Reviews are hard to come by. I appreciate every one I get. You could offer one or two of your books up for a drawing. The winner gets one but you should ask for a review and email address. This needs to be done with care. I don't how to do that. I don't like the free book thing and don't think authors should do that, but I'm in the minority.
Paying for reviews, I'm told, is not a good idea. Good luck to you. We all need that.

message 20: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Marta Pilatowicz | 8 comments Thank you, Jerry and Mary, for sharing more with me!!!!

Wow, Jerry, what a journey you had with your writing!

Now, I recently started to get lots of suspicious offers about reviews. As I don't respond anymore, I suspect only that this is a typical offer to pay for 50 - 250 $ per review ;) I dont' know how to stop it as obviously these people find me through my email!

As much as I was open to any idea that will make it all easier for indie authors I also don't wish that we are "used" by others.

I was giving away my second book for review and I signed for this program Sirens here on Goodreads. Frankly, it didn't bring me much! It costs however very little and you can stop it anytime you like.

I checked out so many possibilities the past 3 years that I burnt out and got disappointed with most of them.

I am willing to assist anyone if I can but I am not so active anymore in reviews search. I also don't spend so much time on chats, groups and anything like that.
It was the biggest sucker of my time, energy.

And Mary, if you keep on searching for your reviews, contact me please privately and we will see what can we do.

Greetings to all of you! And again, for honest cooperation, I invite you to connect with me and if I can help, I will. There are some possibilities but they must feel good for all of us.
One of my playlists on youtube is dedicated to helping authors. If you would like an interview, please connect with me. I am just starting to pay attention more to my youtube and I have already quite a number of people and also my own videos, so please be patient with me. I will respond!