NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

NetGalley Tips > Any backlog tips?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Traci (new)

Traci Kismarton (uncovered_whimsy) Hey everyone,
I have managed to get behind on my reviews.
Does anyone have tips for tackling books you are behind on? (Other than resisting the urge to request more books...) Do you guys have an organizational system or anything you use to determine which one to read next as you tackle books you are behind on? Do you start with the books you are farthest behind on, or the ones that are only recently late?

message 2: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (hayley157) | 7 comments I start with the ones that are going to expire first and go from there

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (thirstkirst_) | 1 comments I start by reading in the order they're going to be published.

message 4: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Noble (outsmartyourshelf) | 33 comments I'm alternating reading a recent one then one from the start of the list, whilst also attempting to keep up with ones due in this month.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 44 comments same here. I now have 20 books to go through. I need to stop wishing and forgetting! There were four books I wanted today but I did not request. Such willpower!

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 167 comments I try to alternate between a new title and an older title.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat | 9 comments I always read in order of publication date even though some newer books are hard to resist !!

Natalie "Curling up with a Coffee and a Kindle" Rampling | 5 comments I alternate one upcoming title that I'm excited about, and then have decided to arrange my already published ones by page number so I can hopefully clear the backlog quicker! so a short older book followed by a new one, then the next older one etc

message 9: by Chelle - FlowerChildReads (last edited May 04, 2021 07:09AM) (new)

Chelle - FlowerChildReads (flowerchildreads) | 7 comments Assuming it’s an ebook (not audiobook) if I’ve missed the pub date I get the audiobook from the library/hoopla. I’m careful to be objective, not letting the narrator or production of audio skew my review since that’s not what I was sent by the publisher. I love audiobooks anyway and am used to incorporating throughout my day where possible so this is an easy catch-up for me. I’m in the process of going through my backlog now so this is timely.

message 10: by Angie F (new)

Angie F (angiefitzp) | 14 comments I got behind with my reviewing in 2020, I was reading the books but not reviewing them straight away and ended up having to skim read the books again so I could give my opinions. Now I won't let myself start a new book until I review the one I've just read

message 11: by Donna (last edited 18 hours, 38 min ago) (new)

Donna Davis (seattlebookmama) | 68 comments I keep GR shelves for my galleys according to month they will be published, so I can keep on top of them. I also keep a backlog shelf. I am retired, so I can read multiple books at a time; I make sure one book is from my backlist, so I am catching up, but I don't let the backlist dominate my reading, because it's more important to review books within 2-4 weeks of publication in either direction. So if January ends and there's a book not read yet, I can read it if I don't already have an oldie going. If I already am reading one that's past publication, then the January remainder goes on my Backlog shelf, and I get to it when I can...EXCEPT:

The audio book. I know others sometimes do this, too. Most of our galleys will eventually come out in audio form after the print version is published. I go to the public library and check out audio versions of the galleys I have missed, and I always have an audio book going for when I am exercising or working in the kitchen; that way I can rest my eyes, and I can get things done while catching up. So actually, I usually have two oldies going, one in print, one in audio. I keep the drc for the one on audio so that if I need to check something or highlight a passage for use in the review, I can do that. I do so the same day that I listen, so I don't forget where I am in the audio book.

I don't always review right away once I am done reading, but I always keep a few notes handy, using the highlight feature in my Kindle app, and also the comments section for GR's "update your progress" feature. That way I have some reminders when I am ready to compose my review.

Hope this helps.

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 34 comments I have a NetGalley shelf in Goodreads but also keep a Google Sheets document. If I get behind, when I go to the used book store and see the book, I pick it up. If it is a young adult book, I put the book in the classroom library after I am done reading and reviewing. Otherwise, I pass the book on to someone else who would like to read it.

message 13: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 167 comments I'm so interested in these comments because I use my Kindle Paperwhite to read my NetGalley books.
The books remain on my Kindle until I read them. In fact I just read and reviewed one that had been on my Kindle for 3 years. They don't expire from the Kindle - the key is to download them as soon as you are approved. I still have a few older titles, stragglers that I intend to read and review this year while balancing the new titles.
My NetGalley feedback ratio is standing now at 78% - with 580 titles approved and 450 feedback sent.