Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Day 4: 90s Kid Book Tag

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Today's book comes from The Literary Phoenix and celebrates nostalgia for all things 90s. But don't worry, it's still fun, even if you aren't a 90s kid.

Pokemon: The author you need every book from
A GBA game and trading card game where you battled pocket monsters and strived to catch them all. Back in the day, there were only 150 Pokemon.

AIM: A book that connected you with your best friend
AOL Instant Messaging – how 90s kids communicated with their friends after school before everyone had a cell phone.

Furby: A book that seemed like a good idea but was actually a monster
Creepy needy robots you could teach to talk and were probably demon possessed. Somehow these made a comeback?

N*SYNC: A book you hated to say Bye, Bye, Bye to
90s quintessential boy band. You may have heard of Justin Timberlake?

Slimed!: A book everyone loved but you hated
Getting green slime thrown on you, courtesy of the show Figure it Out. Also apparently still a thing at the Kid’s Choice Awards?

Oregon Trail: A book that made you wish you died of dysentery
90s computer game you could usually play at school, which was great. It taught us people used to die a lot of gruesome, messy deaths.

Mixtape/CD: 3 books you recommend to anyone, anywhere, no matter what
Back before everyone had music on their phones (remember, we didn’t have cell phones!) folks would rip their CDs and make mixes for each other.

Dial-Up Internet: A book that took FOREVER to read
You know how it’s annoying when you aren’t on LTE? IMAGING WAITING 10 MINUTES FOR INTERNET TO START AND ANOTHER 20 MINUTES FOR GOOGLE TO LOAD!

Kenan Thompson: That book you see referenced everywhere and is in everything, but that’s okay because it’s awesome
He’s that guy who’s been on SNL forever. Also Mighty Ducks. Good Burger. Keenan and Kel. All That. Everything.

Thumbs Up, Seven Up: A book where you peeked just REAL quick at the ending because you don’t like guessing games
A game where most the class closed their eyes and seven people tapped someone’s thumb and you had to guess who did it without peeking.

Dunkaroos: Your ideal bookish snack
These were basically just Teddy Grahams dipped in frosting, which is still a wonderful snack idea.

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark: A book that kept you up all night
Collections of short stories that would scare any sensible kid! Plus, there were illustrations…

Bill Nye the Science Guy: A book that taught you something new
Basically the coolest thing you got to do in science class was watch Bill Nye. He has a Netflix show again!

message 2: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 440 comments Pokemon: Gillian Flynn

AIM: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Furby: Trust Exercise

N*SYNC: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Slimed!: All the Light We Cannot See

Oregon Trail: Fifty Shades of Grey

Mixtape/CD: Station Eleven, Sourdough, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Dial-Up Internet: 1984

Kenan Thompson: Catch-22

Thumbs Up, Seven Up: Black Leopard, Red Wolf

Dunkaroos: One Day

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (only because I couldn't stop reading so I stayed up through the night until it was finished)

Bill Nye the Science Guy: Dataclysm: Who We Are

Wow. My list is very Harry Potter heavy. Very 90s kid appropriate.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 440 comments Pokemon: Neil Gaiman

AIM: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Furby: It (I am still terrified of the furby and legitimately threw mine away a week after I got it because I was scared of it and didn't want it in the house)

N*SYNC: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Slimed!: Looking for Alaska

Oregon Trail: Fifty Shades of Grey

Mixtape/CD: The Ocean at the End of the Lane, A Court of Thorns and Roses, Little Fires Everywhere

Dial-Up Internet: Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup (I honestly ended up liking this book, it just took me forever to get through the first quarter. I couldn't get into it at first)

Kenan Thompson: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (any of the HP series, really)

Thumbs Up, Seven Up: I honestly don't think I've ever done this..

Dunkaroos: Preludes & Nocturnes

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark: The Animorphs series used to creep me out when I was a kid, but I couldn't stop reading them.

Bill Nye the Science Guy: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments Pokemon: The author you need every book from
A GBA game and trading card game where you battled pocket monsters and strived to catch them all. Back in the day, there were only 150 Pokemon.
I love Pokemon! I'd have to go with Jodi Picoult for this one.

AOL Instant Messaging – how 90s kids communicated with their friends after school before everyone had a cell phone.
In a weird way, The Phantom of the Opera. My best friend was absolutely obsessed with this book and the musical when we were kids, although I didn't get into it until much later. Of course, Harry Potter was also a huge one.

Creepy needy robots you could teach to talk and were probably demon possessed. Somehow these made a comeback?
For me, Inkheart. I never read it as a kid, so I felt like I'd missed out, but when I finally tried it, I found is so boring! It had a great concept, but I couldn't get into it at all.

90s quintessential boy band. You may have heard of Justin Timberlake?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Getting green slime thrown on you, courtesy of the show Figure it Out. Also apparently still a thing at the Kid’s Choice Awards?
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I definitely didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it that much either.

90s computer game you could usually play at school, which was great. It taught us people used to die a lot of gruesome, messy deaths.
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. It took me forever to read!

Back before everyone had music on their phones (remember, we didn’t have cell phones!) folks would rip their CDs and make mixes for each other.
The Help, The Time Traveler's Wife and The Thirteenth Tale

You know how it’s annoying when you aren’t on LTE? IMAGING WAITING 10 MINUTES FOR INTERNET TO START AND ANOTHER 20 MINUTES FOR GOOGLE TO LOAD!
Can I say A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court again? Aside from that, The Scarlet Letter. The opening section alone was enough to put me off, although luckily it got better when it got into the real story.

Kenan Thompson: That book you see referenced everywhere and is in everything, but that’s okay because it’s awesome
He’s that guy who’s been on SNL forever. Also Mighty Ducks. Good Burger. Keenan and Kel. All That. Everything.
Harry Potter is the obvious choice, but also Twilight

Thumbs Up, Seven Up: A book where you peeked just REAL quick at the ending because you don’t like guessing games
A game where most the class closed their eyes and seven people tapped someone’s thumb and you had to guess who did it without peeking.
I can't say that I ever do that intentionally because it bugs me to know the ending. But, I did accidentally spoil myself for some of the details of The Wife Between Us and The Woman in the Window, including some of the twists!

These were basically just Teddy Grahams dipped in frosting, which is still a wonderful snack idea.
I don't eat while reading. I'm too worried about getting crumbs or stains on my books. I'm confused why both people above have listed a book for this though. Isn't it asking for a snack?

Collections of short stories that would scare any sensible kid! Plus, there were illustrations…
Little Girls

Basically the coolest thing you got to do in science class was watch Bill Nye. He has a Netflix show again!
Poseidon's Steed The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality. I didn't love it, but I did learn some interesting things about seahorses.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2547 comments Pokemon: The author you need every book from
Mary Doria Russell

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - My best friends would be my husband and daughters. We read all of these books as they were published.

Don Quixote- I may never finish it!

The Binti series

Oryx and Crake

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - I agree with Rachel! I'm trying to decide whether to finish it this year or donate it and read the kid's version.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Clan of the Cave Bear, The Winds of War

Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer- First half was good but the 2nd half took me a year to finish!

All Things Harry Potter

Maybe a Stephen King book??

Ice cream

It by Stephen King - I read it in one weekend!

Doc by Mary Doria Russell
Learned a lot about Doc Holliday and the Earp Brothers before they wound up in Tombstone!

message 6: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 238 comments Pokemon: The author you need every book from
Neil Gaiman

Cemetery Dance - not my best friend, but connected me to a friend previously

A Confederacy of Dunces

The Chronicles of Narnia

Hate's too strong a word, but I though Circe was just okay.

The Red Badge of Courage

I don't have go-to recommendations, but 3 favorites that I would probably recommend are Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood, Watchmen, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

The Sparrow

The Lord of the Rings

Fierce Kingdom off the top of my head, but I usually do this with most thrillers/suspenseful books

I don't usually eat while I'm reading...I guess maybe Wheat Thins

House of Leaves

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

message 7: by viemag (last edited Sep 11, 2019 08:26PM) (new)

viemag (smagelky) | 159 comments Jan KaronPokemon: My Pokeman Author is Jan Karon( I am even re-reading all of her books)

AIM: Love On The Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordJamie Ford

Furby: A book that seemed like a good idea but was actually a monster is for me The Count of Monte CristoThe Count of Monte Cristo

N*SYNC: A book you hated to say Bye, Bye, Bye was An Irish Country Cottage by Patrick TaylorAn Irish Country Cottage

Getting green slime thrown on you, courtesy of the show Figure it Out. Also apparently still a thing at the Kid’s Choice Awards? I would say this was Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnGone Girl

90s computer game you could usually play at school, which was great. It taught us people used to die a lot of gruesome, messy deaths.The Nest by Cynthia D'Apix Sweeney The Nest

Mixtape/CD: 3 books you recommend to anyone, anywhere, no matter what are The Whistling SeasonThe Whistling Season, Love and Other Consolation PrizesLove and Other Consolation Prizes,Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth LettsFinding Dorothy

You know how it’s annoying when you aren’t on LTE? IMAGING WAITING 10 MINUTES FOR INTERNET TO START AND ANOTHER 20 MINUTES FOR GOOGLE TO LOAD! The Library BookThe Library Book by Susan Orlean

He’s that guy who’s been on SNL forever. Also Mighty Ducks. Good Burger. Keenan and Kel. All That. Everything.Where The Crawdads SingWhere the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

A game where most the class closed their eyes and seven people tapped someone’s thumb and you had to guess who did it without peeking. BeartownBeartown by Fredrick Backman

These were basically just Teddy Grahams dipped in frosting, which is still a wonderful snack idea.--Popcorn

Collections of short stories that would scare any sensible kid! Plus, there were illustrations…Girl Gone MissingGirl Gone Missing by Marcie Rendon

Basically the coolest thing you got to do in science class was watch Bill Nye. He has a Netflix show again! Killers of the Flower MoonKillers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann but also any book by Ausma Zehant Khan,such as The Deadly DivideA Deadly Divide

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 797 comments Pokemon: The author you need every book from
John Grisham

AIM: Interview with the Vampire

Furby: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

N*SYNC: Harry Potter

Slimed!: Gone Girl

Oregon Trail: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Mixtape/CD: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Dial-Up Internet: The Fireman

Kenan Thompson: Harry Potter

Thumbs Up, Seven Up: not sure. I don't think I have purposely looked before

Dunkaroos: Cookies and tea or coffee

Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark: The Fireman I don't really read scary books, this is the closest to being scary

Bill Nye the Science Guy: All the President's Men

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 931 comments Pokemon: Currently - Kristen Lepionka

AIM: Hmm this one is hard - Sooner or Later

Furby: American Wife

N*SYNC: Rich People Problems

Slimed!: Pride and Prejudice

Oregon Trail: Campusland

Mixtape/CD: Britt-Marie Was Here, The Last Place You Look and Where the Crawdads Sing

Dial-Up Internet: 11.22.63

Kenan Thompson: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Thumbs Up, Seven Up: Us Against You

Dunkaroos: grapes

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark: A House at the Bottom of a Lake

Bill Nye the Science Guy: Lab Girl

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1544 comments Pokemon: I don't really have a favorite author anymore but I guess I'd have to put Gillian Flynn because I probably would want to read her next book right away.

AIM: I'd say some of the Nancy Drew books (I'm old)

Furby: Angela's Ashes

N*SYNC:

Slimed!: The Color Purple

Oregon Trail: Eat, Pray, Love

Mixtape/CD: The Handmaid's Tale, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Becoming

Dial-Up Internet: Recently the Red Rising - I don't know why but I enjoy them.

Kenan Thompson: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Thumbs Up, Seven Up: I used to do this a lot when I was younger but I really don't do it anymore

Dunkaroos: I don't eat when I'm reading. I keep losing my place or I get the page messed up so I just take a break.

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark: Dean Koontz first books

Bill Nye the Science Guy: The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women