University of Cambridge, Faculty of Education, Primary PGCE 2019-20 discussion

Books for YR

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Maine | 6 comments If you find a treasure - list it here and include a link

message 2: by Fiona (last edited Sep 10, 2019 07:42AM) (new)

Fiona Maine | 6 comments Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
I love this book - it's hilarious!

message 3: by John-Mark (new)

John-Mark Winstanley | 9 comments Barry the Fish with Fingers

This book would be perfect for Reception!

message 4: by Sophie (last edited Apr 21, 2020 07:24AM) (new)

Sophie Vis | 1 comments Suddenly!

This book is about a wolf who follows a little pig around for a whole day. The characters will remind children of the story of "The Three Little Pigs" which should enable them to make great predictions! The repetition of the word 'suddenly' is also a great opportunity for children to join in with you! A very funny book for Reception children that would be great to read at the end of the day!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1 comments Welcome to Our World: A Celebration of Children Everywhere!

A beautifully illustrated book that shows us the similarities and differences of children across the world. This would be a great resource in any classroom but particularly good for one with lots of children with EAL. On of the key things for me was the translations, which were a major part throughout and really encourage a love of different languages. Could easily be used to support specific topics/activities or to dip in and out of on a regular basis at the start/end of the day or during whole class reading/snack time etc.

message 6: by Sophie (last edited May 15, 2020 07:55AM) (new)

Sophie Carroll | 1 comments I am Bat by Morag Hood
I Am Bat by Morag Hood
This is a fantastic book for EYFS/KS1 children, who will enjoy its simple vibrant illustrations and humour. The short simple sentences are ideal for early readers. Bat is a grumpy but endearing character, who loves nothing more than his beloved cherries. But what will happen when they go missing…? The format of the book lends itself well to encouraging early story writing, e.g. children could choose a new character with a new favourite food to base their story around. I asked a year 2 pupil what they liked about I am Bat: “It’s funny, and it’s all about cherries and pears. Every page has a bright colour in the background. It’s fun to read out loud. And I like the recipe at the end.”