What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's/YA fiction, sister who never talks, she just writes on paper

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Oct 14, 2014 04:08PM) (new)

Rachel Hewitt | 13 comments There's a book I read as a kid, where the narrator (a young boy, I think) has an older sister who doesn't talk. She writes stuff down on paper and has done for years. She says something at one point during the end.

May be unrelated, but I think it's the same book that's got a yellow cover, the kid is pretty neurotic and writes a 'worry list' and he's trying to screw over some businessman who always reads his horoscope and is a bit like a huge, fat, horrible lizard.

Might be a totally different book... but I think she's his sister?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 24738 comments Mod
What year did you read it?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hewitt | 13 comments No idea. Probably late 90's, early 2000s?

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 15498 comments Mod
A long shot - Getting Near to Baby by Audrey Couloumbis? His little sister doesn't talk.

Rachel, is this book for children or teens?
What's the tone - sad, dramatic, funny, etc.?
Remember anything about the location/setting, family/parents, etc.?

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hewitt | 13 comments It's funny, I reckon the narrator was around 10 or 11. I think it's his older sister that doesn't talk, the family seem okay with it like it's just a thing she does. There's just a dad, so I think she started doing it when the mother died or something. I remember reading it as a child, but that doesn't mean it wasn't for teens... but I'd say age rage maybe 11-13?

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 15498 comments Mod
Does the book mention early on if the sister has a disability like autism/etc.?

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hewitt | 13 comments No, I don't think so. There was something that made her write on paper, then later on in the book something else happens and she talks. At the end, she chats away like she's making up for lost time, because at the end she's happy

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 181 comments Reminds me a lot of a movie called Storm in the Heartland, or Tornado Valley. There's a tornado that destroys the families home and kills the mother. After watching her mother die the youngest daughter never speaks again. Every one kind of just accepts this and moves on. Then when they are all grown up and the older sister has a daughter of her own they go back to the house. There's another tornado while the daughter is out but nobody is there to warn her except for the girl who doesn't talk. So to save the girl she has to call out her name to help her.

It's probably not the same but seems similar.

message 9: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 287 comments bumping - did you find it, Rachel?

message 10: by Krista (new)

Krista | 137 comments This sounds so familiar! Commenting so I can find this thread again.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Getting Near to Baby (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Audrey Couloumbis (other topics)