Play Book Tag discussion

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
This topic is about Death on the Nile
Archive: Other Books > (Horizons) Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2218 comments Beautiful heiress Linette Ridgeway took one look at her friend Jacqueline's fiancee Simon Doyle and knew she had to have him. Linette usually got whatever she wanted and Simon was no exception. Just a few weeks after meeting the two were married and off on a honeymoon to Egypt. The new Mr. and Mrs. Doyle were certainly startled to see Jacqueline everywhere they went: in museums, at restaurants and even on their Nile cruise ship, Jacqueline was a constant source of seething animosity.

Hercule Poirot had decided it was time for a break from his detective work and he was ready for a much needed vacation. He chose to visit Egypt and take a leisurely cruise down the Nile, visiting historic sites along the way. Instead of the quiet respite from work he is called upon to help solve the murder of Linette Doyle. It is obvious that the most likely murderer is Jacqueline but she was under a nurse's care in her cabin after Jacqueline hysterically shot Simon in the leg. Simon himself spent the night deeply drugged and under a doctor's constant supervision. Neither could have killed Linette. But, who did? A splendid cast of characters round out the list of suspects: Linette's lawyer, a fading steamy romance novelist, a German doctor, an Italian merchant, a snooty American woman with her poor relation in tow, and several others. Although Linette was much admired she was also envied to the extreme. Someone disliked her enough to creep into her cabin, hold a pistol to her head and pull the trigger.

For once I actually knew who the murderer was fairly early in the story but had not the foggiest idea of how it was done. Christie really wrote a gem of a mystery once again and I enjoyed every bit of it.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5071 comments One of my favorite Christies! I also enjoyed the movie with Michael York as Simon. I liked this one better than Orient Express.

Ellen | 2218 comments I had a serious crush on Michael York in my younger days. I just saw that the movie is being remade in 2020 but I don't know the actors yet.

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I'm having real trouble finding an Egypt book, and we're halfway through the month. This might just be the perfect fit.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7880 comments Joi wrote: "I'm having real trouble finding an Egypt book, and we're halfway through the month. This might just be the perfect fit."

Joi I found one you might like Chronicle of a Last Summer: A Novel of Egypt-quick easy read, and gives a good account of life in Egypt

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Joanne wrote: "Joi I found one you might like Chronicle of a Last Summer: A Novel of Egypt-quick easy read, and gives a good account of life in Egypt."

Thanks, Joanne!