100BestWIT discussion

Literary Prizes

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments A thread for discussing books by women writers in translation that have been nominated for any literary prizes.

message 2: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 28 comments oooh fun topic! I've only today found out that the Neustadt prize exists (thanks to your mention of it in the other topic). That is a wonderful source of some interesting authors! Can't wait to try out some works by Patricia Grace and Claribel Alegria.

I'm not that at home in the literary prize world - unless the news makes it to the big media outlets I usually miss it. Which prizes will announce their short/longlists when? I see we will have to wait for a new list for the international booker until spring :( and the nobel prize doesn't share their shortlists with the public...

message 3: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments I always enjoy finding out about new book prizes (especially the ones that focus on celebrating translated literature), because I often find them to be a great source for discovering new authors.

I believe the longlist for the National Book Award for Translated Literature is announced on September 17. Last year I managed to read all the longlisted books and found some new favourites, so I'm very curious to see what will make this year's list. It's interesting that not just fiction, but also non-fiction titles are eligible for this longlist.

message 4: by Ella (last edited Sep 10, 2019 04:06PM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 37 comments Here's a thread from another group a few of us are in that lists a bunch of prizes:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Not all-inclusive, but a decent list.

Oh - and the group itself has categories for the bigger ones they follow more closely here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_...

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I brought up the Neustadt in the other board in order to broaden the scope of WiT outside of the intensely contemporary, so now I'm thinking about what could be ferreted out of the older, non-Anglo prizes (Nobel, Prix Goncourt, Noma Literary Prize, etc) from past years. Could be worth compiling into a directory of sorts.

message 6: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 28 comments @Aubrey, oh was that you? I forgot, sorry!
I think a directory of some major prizes is useful. I've just spend some time going through this wikipedia list, and there are plenty of interesting awards in the international, regional and translated fiction section. Though it does seem to be incomplete. I couldn't find the Ryszard Kapuściński Award for literary reportage on this list, and I remember looking through their winners for new non-fiction to read...

message 7: by Nell (new)

Nell (sackvillepanza) | 10 comments It would be great to have a list of WIT pulled from these! The Republic of Consciousness prize also tends to have good female picks on the shortlist, although since it's for UK/Ireland small presses, the outer limits of translation seems to usually be Eastern European.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments What do people think of the longlist for the National Book Award for Translated Literature?

Naja Marie Aidt, When Death Takes Something from You Give It Back: Carl’s Book (Translated by Denise Newman) Coffee House Press
Eliane Brum, The Collector of Leftover Souls: Field Notes on Brazil’s Everyday Insurrections (Translated by Diane Grosklaus Whitty) Graywolf Press
Nona Fernández, Space Invaders (Translated by Natasha Wimmer) Graywolf Press
Vigdis Hjorth, Will and Testament (Translated by Charlotte Barslund) Verso Fiction / Verso Books
Khaled Khalifa, Death Is Hard Work (Translated by Leri Price) Farrar, Straus & Giroux / Macmillan Publishers
László Krasznahorkai, Baron Wenckheim’s Homecoming (Translated by Ottilie Mulzet) New Directions
Scholastique Mukasonga, The Barefoot Woman (Translated by Jordan Stump) Archipelago Books
Yoko Ogawa, The Memory Police (Translated by Stephen Snyder) Pantheon Books / Penguin Random House
Pajtim Statovci, Crossing (Translated by David Hackston) Pantheon Books / Penguin Random House
Olga Tokarczuk, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead (Translated by Antonia Lloyd-Jones) Riverhead Books / Penguin Random House

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments Apologies for the format and not linking, not got the best internet connection at the moment

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Valeria Luiselli won a MacArthur Genius Grant, which is pretty cool. There might be other WiT whose names didn't immediately catch my eye.

message 11: by Michael (last edited Oct 01, 2019 06:48AM) (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments Translator Emily Wilson also received a MacArthur Genius Grant

message 12: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 37 comments As for your question about the list, Michael, I think it's an exciting list for a variety of reasons - partly I say this b/c I am at least passingly familiar with most of the books. I've read a lot of the fiction, and I'm excited to get going on the nonfiction list. I am rather impatiently waiting for Space Invaders to become available to me - that's one that hadn't been on my radar before but I've heard good things.

message 13: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments Michael wrote: "What do people think of the longlist for the National Book Award for Translated Literature?

Naja Marie Aidt, When Death Takes Something from You Give It Back: Carl’s Book (Translated by Denise New..."

I’ve only read two books from this list (Drive Your Plow... and Death is Hard Work), but I’m excited to pick up a few more.
Any predictions on which of these will make the shortlist?

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments It’s a hard list to predict

message 15: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) The Nobel Prize for Lit is supposedly diversifying, and multiple WiT are named as contenders. Thoughts, fears, and opi-onions? https://amp.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments The Warwick Prize for Women in Translation longlist came out recently and it looks awesome.

Brother In Ice by Alicia Kopf, translated from Catalan by Mara Faye Lethem (And Other Stories, 2018)
Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata, translated from Japanese by Ginny Tapley Takemori (Granta, 2018)
Disoriental by Négar Djavadi, translated from French by Tina Kover (Europa Editions, 2018)
Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tocarczuk, translated from Polish by Antonia Lloyd-Jones (Fitzcarraldo Editions, 2018)
Katalin Street by Magda Szabó, translated from Hungarian by Len Rix (Maclehose Press, 2019)
Negative of a Dual Photograph by Azita Ghahremann, translated from Farsi by Maura Dooley with Elhum Shakerifar (Bloodaxe, 2018)
People in the Room by Norah Lange, translated from Spanish by Charlotte Whittle (And Other Stories, 2018)
Picnic in the Storm by Yukiko Motoya, translated from Japanese by Asa Yoneda (Little, Brown Book Group (Corsair), 2018)
Season of the Shadow by Léonora Miano, translated from French by Gila Walker (Seagull Books, 2018)
Shadows on the Tundra by Dalia Grinkevičiūtė, translated from Lithuanian by Delija Valiukenas (Peirene, 2018)
The Years by Annie Ernaux, translated from French by Alison L. Strayer (Fitzcarraldo Editions, 2018)
Thick of It by Ulrike Almut Sandig, translated from German by Karen Leeder (Seagull Books, 2018)
Zuleikha by Guzel Yakhina, translated from Russian by Lisa C. Hayden (Oneworld, 2019)

message 17: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 28 comments The Nobel prize has been announced! What do you guys think of the winners Olga Tokarczuk and Peter Handke? I'm not familiar with the last author, but I loved Tokarczuk's Drive your plow over the bones of the dead. I've been dying to get my hands on some of her other works.

message 18: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I used to be involved in a book group that convinced me to add several of Handke's works to my shelf, but I haven't gotten to any of them yet. Hearing that he's a Hamsun type of Nobel Lit winner doesn't make me too eager to get to him anytime soon.

message 19: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 37 comments Aubrey, I was just commenting elsewhere that the only thing I really know about him is that I can remember him speaking at Slobodan Milošević's funeral (on TV - I wasn't in attendance.) That seems like a very bad omen.

message 20: by Biblibio (new)

Biblibio | 3 comments My sense has been that pretty much everyone is happy with Tokarczuk on her own, as am I. I still - separate and apart the question of whether Handke is a worthy choice for the award, a matter on which I really know nothing about but am inclined to side-eye - am disappointed that the Nobel committee YET AGAIN forgot that writers (particularly women!) exist outside of Europe or the Anglosphere. It especially sucks given that Maryse Condé won the "alternate Nobel" or whatever and didn't end up getting the final nod, though she definitely deserves it. When will they learn? :(

As for the Warwick longlist, I still desperately wish that more books from outside Europe would make it to the list, but I'm also really excited by a lot of the books that *did* make it, especially since at the very least it covers a much more diverse swathe of Europe than we normally see. It's a process! And I love that we're even able to have this discussion.

message 21: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 37 comments I'm especially upset w/ the Nobel committee this time. Only because the interviews & lead-up to these prizes kept saying they believed they had been "too eurocentric" in the past & would cast an eye worldwide, yadda yadda yadda. I, too, am fine with Olga Tokarczuk, but how is this not eurocentric? How is it possible that this prize, which is so old, has never awarded a woman from Africa or the middle east? Why would they not run to fix that ASAP? Why pick someone who eulogized Milošević at the same time they award Tokarczuk, who seems to be the very opposite in her writing (don't know anything about her personally.) As someone said in another group, it is like they are trying to do a "both sides of the political spectrum" thing. So now the Nobel prize seems a bit like the 24-hour news to me. yay?

message 22: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I may have to slowly wean myself off of the Nobel Lit hype by paying attention to Neustadt and other awards. At least those seem to recognize worlds outside of white Euro/Neo-Euro wonderland.

message 23: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 37 comments https://pen.org/press-release/stateme...

PEN America: STATEMENT: DEEP REGRET OVER THE CHOICE OF PETER HANDKE FOR THE 2019 NOBEL PRIZE IN LITERATURE

message 24: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Ella wrote: "https://pen.org/press-release/stateme...

PEN America: STATEMENT: DEEP REGRET OVER THE CHOICE OF PETER HANDKE FOR THE 2019 NOBEL PRIZE IN LITERATURE"

Thanks for the article, Ella. I'm glad someone rather prominent isn't dancing around the issue.

message 25: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I recently picked up Szabo's 'Katalin Street' for a song, and while I don't see myself reading it before the Warwick Prize is announced, it's nice to see her recognized.

message 26: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments What do you guys think about the 2020 International Booker Prize longlist?

Red Dog by Willem Anker, translated from the Afrikaans by Michiel Heyns (Pushkin Press)

The Enlightenment of the Greengage Tree by Shokoofeh Azar, translated from the Farsi by Anonymous (Europa Editions)

The Adventures of China Iron by Gabriela Cabezón Cámara, translated from the Spanish by Iona Macintyre and Fiona Mackintosh (Charco Press)

The Other Name: Septology I-II by Jon Fosse, translated from the Norwegian by Damion Searls (Fitzcarraldo Editions)

The Eighth Life by Nino Haratischvili, translated from the German by Charlotte Collins and Ruth Martin (Scribe UK)

Serotonin by Michel Houellebecq, translated from the French by Shaun Whiteside (William Heinemann)

Tyll by Daniel Kehlmann, translated from the German by Ross Benjamin (Quercus)

Hurricane Season by Fernanda Melchor, translated from the Spanish by Sophie Hughes (Fitzcarraldo Editions)

The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa, translated from the Japanese by Stephen Snyder (Harvill Secker)

Faces on the Tip of My Tongue by Emmanuelle Pagano, translated from the French by Sophie Lewis and Jennifer Higgins (Peirene Press)

Little Eyes by Samanta Schweblin, translated from the Spanish by Megan McDowell (Oneworld)

The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated from the Dutch by Michele Hutchison (Faber & Faber)

Mac and His Problem by Enrique Vila-Matas, translated from the Spanish by Margaret Jull Costa and Sophie Hughes (Harvill Secker)

message 27: by Biblibio (new)

Biblibio | 3 comments Agnese wrote: "What do you guys think about the 2020 International Booker Prize longlist?

Red Dog by Willem Anker, translated from the Afrikaans by Michiel Heyns (Pushkin Press)

[book:The Enligh..."

I'm honestly so behind on life, I literally haven't read any of the longlisted titles. *facepalm* But it's nice that the Booker is keeping up solid representation of WIT, even if I (again) wish that there was more diversity in country/language of origin...

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments I'm excited to find some new favourites, I love this prize because people come together to talk about it. I wish there was less European picks but I would prefer more from the rest of the world.