75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2019 GR Challenge) > Zee's Autumn Challenge: 12 Books

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 13, 2019 08:08AM) (new)

My {Autumn} GR Book Challenge: start date Sept. 10

1. Seven Deadly Wonders - 9/12
2. The Darkest Night - 9/13
3. Tyrannosaur Canyon 9/16
4. Hollow Kingdom 9/25
5. It 10/12
6. Her Royal Spyness 10/15
6.5 The Quiet Boy 10/29
7. The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny 11/6
8. A Hard Day's Knight 11/8
9. The Bride Wore Black Leather 11/13

~*Sub-Challenges*~

Kingtober Challenge (Completed)
-It It by Stephen King {finished 10/12}

message 2: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments Welcome! That sounds like a do-able goal. I hope you like It, that's one of my favorite King books :)

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7442 comments Mod
That's a good goal for the last quarter of the year!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Stacie wrote: "Welcome! That sounds like a do-able goal. I hope you like It, that's one of my favorite King books :)"
I've been wanting to read it because of all the hype about the movies, but I had no idea it was so big-eek! I will definitely be a challenge but I'm excited to read it :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Elyse wrote: "That's a good goal for the last quarter of the year!"

Thanks, I think I've read around 30 books so far this year, so 12 more, including the massive Stephen King book in October, should get me to the end of the year :) Next year I would like to tackle 75 books though, that would be pretty cool!

message 6: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1361 comments Welcome, and good luck! It is definitely a challenge to get through, the only book I can recall taking over a month to read.

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "All right, got some books in hand and I'm ready to get started!

Also, my biggest goal with all of this is to be intentional about regular reading again. Back in the day I was an avid reader but o..."

Sounds like a great plan!

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 16, 2019 05:17AM) (new)

Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1) by Matthew Reilly

One Word Summary
Italicize!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 16, 2019 05:17AM) (new)

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter

One Word Summary
Blech

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter {finished 9/13/19}

One Word Summary
Blech"

Oh that's disappointing! I haven't read a full-length Showalter yet.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2609 comments ZeeJane wrote: "~*CHALLENGES*~

My {Autumn} GR Book Challenge: start date Sept. 10
1. Seven Deadly Wonders - 9/12
2. The Darkest Night - 9/13

Kingtob..."

Welcome to the group! BTW, I like your one word summaries.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 16, 2019 05:18AM) (new)

Tyrannosaur Canyon (Wyman Ford #1) by Douglas Preston
One Word Summary
Decent

message 13: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "Soooo, decided to add one more sub-challenge to the GR Book challenge, another one I'm creating for myself :) I get all my books from the library but usually go in with a list from my TBR shelf. I ..."

Sounds like fun! Blind date with a book! Oooh boy! Have you read 50 Shades? lol. I tend to pick blindly from my stacks, because I have so many, and I don't read the summary or reviews first.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 17, 2019 11:17AM) (new)

Oooh, I like your Blind Date with a Book title, may have to borrow that lol :)

I did read the 50 shades series when it first came out, I was pretty neutral about them and never bothered with the movies. Didn't realize it was the same author at first!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 16, 2019 05:18AM) (new)

Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton
One Word Summary
FANTASTIC!!!

This book is Secret Life of Pets meets the Zombie Apocalypse- utterly hilarious with great world building and a cast characters that you can't help but cheer on throughout all the delicious apocalyptic mayhem! This book has been added to my All Time Favorite's List, a new favorite!

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 28, 2019 04:14AM) (new)

The Mister
DNF

The male protagonist spends the first few pages of the book going on and on about how much of a sleazeball he is and it gave me no incentive to keep reading about him any further. I don't mind a 'bad boy' protagonist but sheesh, in a romance story you have to at least be able to tolerate the main characters, otherwise what's the point of reading the book?

Since Kingtober is starting in a few days I may take a couple days off of reading OR I may get a jump start on It, since it's so dang big lol.

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "The Mister
DNF

The male protagonist spends the first few pages of the book going on and on about how much of a sleazeball he is and it gave me no incentive to keep reading about ..."

Yeahhh I wasn't too confident this would be a 5-star. lol. I would just get started in It!

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 29, 2019 11:40AM) (new)

Elyse wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "The Mister
DNF

The male protagonist spends the first few pages of the book going on and on about how much of a sleazeball he is and it gave me no incentive to kee..."

I dipped my toe into It last night, LOL. Got 20 pages in and so far it's very good writing, I've read one or two of his other books years ago, but had forgotten how good of a writer he is. I'm excited to really get into the story! I've got another personal challenge idea percolating in my head-possibly reading through all of this books (it would be like a 5 yr challenge, lol). He's one of the great authors of our time and it's past time that I got into his books more :)

message 19: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "Elyse wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "The Mister
DNF

The male protagonist spends the first few pages of the book going on and on about how much of a sleazeball he is and it gave me no in..."

I'm slowly doing that which is a part of why I'm read only his books in October. Plus, it's October. lol. Perfect for creepy, scary books! Can't wait to start on Tuesday!

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 16, 2019 05:18AM) (new)

It by Stephen King

One Word Summary
Good!

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 16, 2019 05:18AM) (new)

Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) by Rhys Bowen
One Word Summary
Charming!

message 22: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "6.
One Word Summary
Charming!"

Aww good! I won this far too many years ago from a Goodreads Giveaway and I still need to read it...! Story of my life! lol.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Elyse wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "6.
One Word Summary
Charming!"

Aww good! I won this far too many years ago from a Goodreads Giveaway and I still need to read it...! Story of ..."

Really enjoyed the author's writing style-very easy to read and great, well developed characters :) I'll definitely keep reading the series!

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2019 11:29AM) (new)

10/28 Update: well, my reading has come to a screeching halt :/ Long story short-my husband decided to go in a new direction with his career and last week started putting out feelers with 4 companies he has connections with.

Fast forward through several crazy, intense days and as of this morning he has one written offer, 2 verbal offers and an interview later this week-whew! It's been busy over here and I anticipate it being another crazy week, as we will probably make a decision, turn in notice with his current job (which is always 'fun' to do, not!), plus we're participating in our church's trick n' treat event on Wednesday and then hosting friends for supper/trick n' treating on Thursday etc.

Because of all of this, I've decided to walk away from my personal 'Days of Autumn' challenge, since I'm so far behind and it would be stressful to try and complete it yet in the designated time frame. I may pick it back up at the start of the year though.

I did get two library books this weekend-one that's on my TBR list and then one that I found while browsing the shelves, I'm really hoping to get started on one this week, but we shall see!

I need to read 6 more books by December 31st, in order to complete my reading challenge. I should be able to still do this, just need to get my bum in gear!

message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "10/28 Update: well, my reading has come to a screeching halt :/ Long story short-my husband decided to go in a new direction with his career and last week started putting out feelers with 4 compani..."

Oh that's exciting and nerve-wracking! Good luck!

Girl, you read It and that's basically 4 books so give yourself some credit! ;)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Elyse wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "10/28 Update: well, my reading has come to a screeching halt :/ Long story short-my husband decided to go in a new direction with his career and last week started putting out feeler..."

LOL, true! :)

It is exciting, but definitely nerve wracking trying to figure out all the benefits and such. Hopefully by the end of the week we can make a decision and then be done with all of it, lol.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

The Quiet Boy

This was a short story and is the premise of the upcoming movie Antlers. After watching the movie trailer I HAD to read the story and found it for free online, from the author :) Such a great, creepy little story, perfect for this time of year! I definitely want to see the movie now, and see how the story is fleshed out.

Here's the link to the story
https://www.guernicamag.com/the-quiet...

and here's the link the the movie trailer (Be Aware-this is a Horror movie!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aiYx...

message 28: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments ZeeJane wrote: "6.5
The Quiet Boy

This was a short story and is the premise of the upcoming movie Antlers. After watching the movie trailer I HAD to read the story and found it for free online, fr..."

That did not go like I expected, lol! Thanks for posting the link- and you were right; it is perfect for this time of year.

message 29: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "6.5
The Quiet Boy

This was a short story and is the premise of the upcoming movie Antlers. After watching the movie trailer I HAD to read the story and found it for free online, fr..."

Oh cool I'll be reading that shortly! Thanks for sharing!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Stacie wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "6.5
The Quiet Boy

This was a short story and is the premise of the upcoming movie Antlers. After watching the movie trailer I HAD to read the story and found it for..."

I know, I was like wait-where's the rest of it, I need to know what happens next!

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "Stacie wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "6.5
The Quiet Boy

This was a short story and is the premise of the upcoming movie Antlers. After watching the movie trailer I HAD to read the story a..."

Holy cow. What a story!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2019 06:33PM) (new)

I went into October just planning on reading It, and I was able to read that massive book, plus one other full sized book and then a short story. Even though I haven't read in a few days, I'm very pleased with my tally for October :)

On the life front-husband ended up with 5 offers, out of 5 companies that we connected with-oh my! I am SO SICK of running numbers and looking at benefits packages, ugh lol!

We've got it narrowed down to 2, and of all things-one of them invited my husband to go along with them on their annual customer appreciation/executive weekend away, so right now he's pheasant hunting at a lodge that looks like something the Queen would have a membership to-freakin' crazy LOL. Gourmet food, top shelf booze and shooting at things all day-my husband has found his people, LOL. I'm thinking we're probably going to go with their offer hehe. When he gets back tomorrow we'll sit down and make our final decision, and then he's planning on turning in his notice on Monday (gulp).

With him being gone this weekend I intended to lock myself away and read all day. Instead, I've been doing all the miscellaneous housework that I've put off, baked cookies, watched a movie with my kids and went through MORE job related paperwork, sigh.... It's 9:30pm and usually I'm in bed by 10pm but gosh darn it I'm going to stay up for an hour and I'm going to start The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10) by Simon R. Green , which is a continuation of a series I've really been enjoying!

message 33: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "I went into October just planning on reading It, and I was able to read that massive book, plus one other full sized book and then a short story. Even though I haven't read in a few days, I'm very ..."

You did great in October! It is such a big book! Wow sounds like a full plate with those job offers but it sure is nice to feel wanted. lol. And he found his people, lol, that's great.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 03, 2019 07:58AM) (new)

Elyse wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "I went into October just planning on reading It, and I was able to read that massive book, plus one other full sized book and then a short story. Even though I haven't read in a few..."

My husband is a simple man-give him good beer and a steak and he's yours forever, LOL :) We live very modestly/frugally, so being at this lodge with all of these executive-type people, where some arrived in helicopters, is completely insane to us-so happy he got this opportunity and I'm hopeful that it gives him clarity on which job offer he should take.

And I did get in 40 pages of reading last night, yay!

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 06, 2019 07:14AM) (new)

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10) by Simon R. Green

Solid installation in the series, two books from the end and it feels like things are starting to pick up and get interesting again, after a lull of a few books in the middle that were a bit slow. Have the last two books on hand and want to get this series wrapped up in November!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11) by Simon R. Green

Fun Installment!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12) by Simon R. Green

It's always bittersweet to have a favorite series end, but it was past time for this one to wrap up. Looking forward to continuing on with his other books though!

message 38: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "9.
The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12) by Simon R. Green

It's always bittersweet to have a favorite series end, but it was past time for this one to wrap up. Looking forward to continuing on with his ..."

Very bittersweet! Especially when it's longer than a trilogy! lol.