What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books for young teen girl with social issues and bullying

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments I'm looking for books that a young teen can read that might give perspective or ideas on dealing with bullying and not being what everyone else considers normal.

Thank you

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Sep 10, 2019 05:44AM) (new)

Rachel | 1532 comments Maybe the Geek Girl series by Holly Smale. First in the series is Geek Girl

Also Beautiful Broken Things

Are you looking for books with a male or female protagonist? Or does it not matter?

message 3: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 240 comments Are you looking for non-fiction or fiction?

message 4: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments Geek Girl looks good, thanks

message 5: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments Anything that a 13yo can read really. Fic/non-fic doesn't particularly matter. They don't have to end in rainbows and lollipops, but hopefully they'll be focused on positive outcomes and actions... even if that is realising that those people just aren't for you and being ok with continuing to look for people who are.

Thx

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1057 comments It's a fantasy, but it touches on these themes (besides being an excellent book) Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon Castle Hangnail

message 7: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments Thx, looks fun

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 262 comments Middle School Level - Posted

Narrator is a boy.

message 10: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments Both sound good, thank you :)

message 11: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Sep 14, 2019 04:42AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1600 comments Blubber, perhaps. It's written for younger children (5th grade) and the narrator does participate in the bullying for most of the book.

message 12: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments Thx :)

message 13: by Keyera (last edited Sep 29, 2019 11:42PM) (new)

Keyera Haskins | 20 comments I don't remember much about it, but perhaps Speak.

It does not give details on how to deal with bullying, so much as show a girl who is dealing with those problems herself. Also, I would say that the only social issues stem from the reason she is being bullied in the first place, which may also be a warning on weather or not to let someone read it.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1325 comments Thx RH!