Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Random Travel Challenge > Agnes' first random travels

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Agnes (new)

Agnes | 33 comments Malawi:

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba

An inspirational autobiography, that also allows the reader to catch a glimpse of life in Malawi. Highly recommended.

message 3: by Agnes (new)

Agnes | 33 comments Israel:

One Fine Day the Rabbi Bought a Cross (The Rabbi Small Mysteries) by Harry Kemelman One Fine Day the Rabbi Bought a Cross by Harry Kemelman

because I remembered I had it, and I can't stick to a planed TBR to save my life... It was a fun read, anyway. Like I remembered previous books of this series being.

message 4: by Agnes (new)

Agnes | 33 comments Kazakhstan:

Woman in Exile My Life in Kazakhstan by Juliana Starosolska Woman in Exile: My Life in Kazakhstan by Juliana Starosolska

A memoir in form of vignettes describing the author's life and experience during her forced deportation to Kazakhstan.

message 5: by Agnes (new)

Agnes | 33 comments Mexico:

Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Lovely trip through Mexico of the 1920s, complete with gods, sorcerers and various mythological creatures.

message 6: by Agnes (last edited Jul 11, 2020 07:57AM) (new)

Agnes | 33 comments Sweden:

Wunderbare Reise des kleinen Nils Holgersson mit den Wildgänsen. by Selma Lagerlöf Wunderbare Reise des kleinen Nils Holgersson mit den Wildgänsen. by Selma Lagerlöf

This was one of my favourite books as a child, and it is still quite an enchanting read. Though this time around I could appreciate the descriptions of Sweden a lot more than the first time I read it, when I mostly cared about the Nils' adventures. :D

message 7: by Agnes (last edited Sep 10, 2020 10:22PM) (new)

Agnes | 33 comments Botswana:

A Carrion Death (Detective Kubu, #1) by Michael Stanley A Carrion Death by Michael Stanley

I love me a nice murder mystery and that one was very interesting.

message 8: by Agnes (new)

Agnes | 33 comments Russia:

Death in St. Petersburg (Lady Emily, #12) by Tasha Alexander Death in St. Petersburg by Tasha Alexander

Historical mystery, set at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century. Very interesting peek into Russia a few years before the revolution. I'll definitely check out more books by this author.