What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Science fiction short story about a space-age smuggler, lizards, and religion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LDiesIrael (new)

LDiesIrael | 1 comments - It is some fairly short sci-fi story (maybe 50 to 100 A5 pages);
- Author of said story is most likely to be of US or UK origin;
- Main actors would be a retired smuggler with his genetically modified bear friend and a Christian missionary priest;
- Bear name somewhat resembles a Finnish nickname, might start with "Pitka";
- The planet the story takes place on is a remote swampy one with sentient lizards, which were pre-tribal when discovered by a smuggler;
- Smuggler taught lizards basic science facts and laws of nature, just as he sold their works of primitive art off-world;
- At some point former rival of a smuggler arrives, dumping a priest missioner, which happens to be a Christian one, with no obvious option of getting back;
- Priest teaches lizards the basic tenets of Christianity and they try to crucify him in order to witness a miracle of faith and so start believing;
- Smuggler decides to intervene this act of involuntary Crucifixion, which results in a fight and a few of lizards dead;
- Ending is a dialogue between the smuggler and the chief lizard on the fight and the situation in it's wholeness.

I know, it's not much, but it's what I have :/

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
LDiesirael ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 96 from two months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Blaikie | 131 comments This sounds like The Streets of Ashkelon by Harry Harrison. You can find it in several anthologies, including The Best of Harry Harrison.
The Best Of Harry Harrison (Orbit Books) by Harry Harrison

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Sue wrote: "This sounds like The Streets of Ashkelon by Harry Harrison."

I've read OP's story. And I'm pretty sure Sue has nailed it, as Harry is one of the authors I've read a lot.