The Corner Bar & Social Club discussion

World Events > Global Warming/Climate Change

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert, Bartender (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) | 349 comments Mod
Have you ever noticed that during the sweltering months of summer the term Global Warming is always used. However, in the winter months when were freezing our butts off in sub zero temperatures, no one says Global Warming, only Climate Change.

message 2: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 171 comments I have noticed that.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 17 comments Did you hear about the nine tornadoes in Texas? Nine! Thousands are without power, countless schools are shut down, and my granddaughter has to be bussed to another because of her school being leveled by one. My daughter was an hour and a half late for work and said it looked like Armageddon there. She lives in Dallas. Dallas itself never gets tornadoes, but they were hit hard.

message 4: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 171 comments Oh wow Kathy! I don’t think I heard about that. I’m glad your daughter is ok.

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 21 comments I hate the term "climate change." It's almost as mealymouthed and meaningless as the word "stress." As a Michigander my daily life is all about climate change and that hasn't even altered that much as the global temps creep upward. Our weather here is pure chaos and always has been. There were those tornadoes on Main Street in my town which were quite a departure from the norm.

Now, if you call it what it is -- "more severe weather across the board" -- including droughts, floods, wildfires, hurricanes, the whole nine yards -- that's a lot more accurate.

message 6: by Tania (new)

Tania | 11 comments There were floods in a part of our country 2weeks ago (maybe 1 can't keep track of time) Over 400 people died. Some organisation is taking our givernment to court for manslaughter because they haven't done enough to slow down climate change.
I'm all for listening to scientists, stop climate change/global warming whatever you want to call it, as we are, let's face it, mucking up the earth, but manslaughter? Don't be daft, man.

message 7: by Paulette (new)

Paulette Illmann | 92 comments Manslaughter? For deaths caused by a natural disaster? That is crazy! I guess it's a global thing to sue anyone you can for anything if you think you can make a case out of it. Sad state of affairs.